True Image restore onto new drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BlizzofOZ, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlizzofOZ

BlizzofOZ Registered Member

I've made an image of my main, bootable drive which was around 115 GB in total capacity.

I've restored that image on a larger 300 GB drive. I was able to boot off the 300 GB drive. I had also removed the old 115 GB drive from the system.

The odd part:
    In looking at the 300 GB in window explorer, getting the properties of that drive shows that I have a total capacity of around 115 GB with some 15 GB free space. These amounts were just about the same as when I had my old drive in.

Going into Device Mgr Volumes shows a different story. it shows that I have a total capacity of 300 GB, unallocated space of some 180 GB and while the volume (D:) has a capacity of 115 GB.

I assume I didn't set something properly when restoring.
    Can someone explain why?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You didn't tell TI in the restore wizard that you want to expand the partition being restored so it put things back as they were.

If you want a bigger C, you can do another restore and do the expansion or you can do a trick with TI. If you don't want a bigger C then you can partition the free space using Windows Disk Management.

The general method is:
    Start TI and tell it you want to create a Secure Zone (SZ) which is a special partition TI will make to store archives in. Do NOT say you want the Acronis Startup Manager since it modifies the MBR and you don't need it.

After you create a SZ to use all your free space or whatever you want and TI does its work run TI again and go into the SZ management again and tell it to delete the SZ. It will asks what you want to do with the free space. Tell it to allocate it to C. This will expand the C partition.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

In using that "Secure Zone trick" as it is known, if the version of TI is 2009, I don't think that you are asked what to do with the space "in those words" like the older versions. Would someone who uses 2009, please confirm this.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

BlizzofOZ,
    Most probably you check marked the disk option in your restore option.

During the restore, in order to change the size of the intended new size, you would need to checkmark the partitions instead of the disk option.

Depending upon which version of TI you are using, the procedures vary slightly with each version.

Restore Disk Signature - TI 2009 Home
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241099

How to Upgrade a Laptop hardrive
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=238066

Reload this Page Restoring image of small drive to large drive??
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241158

5. BlizzofOZ

When in the restore function, how do I tell it to "put things back as they were"?

Or do I have to do what is explained below, using the SZ trick?

Where do I create the SZ? Directly onto the destination drive? Does the drive have to be blank?

6. BlizzofOZ

I'm on version 10 and had the following options:
    Restore disks or patitions

or

Restore specified files or folders

I had chosen the Restore disks or patitions option.

7. BlizzofOZ

I'm following GroverH's instructions AND looking at TI's help section, both specify that you can resize by "dragging it or its borders with a mouse or by entering corresponding values into the appropriate fields."

Yet, I cannot do this. I'm in the "Restored Hard Disk Drive Location" and I cannot drag or enter in new size info. Where is this done?

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

The guide listed on line 3 of my signature illustrates version 10 restore using resize.

The images on pages 7, 21, 24, 27 illustrate where you can drag or enter the desired size.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  9. BlizzofOZ

First, let me thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Second, I actually used some of your guide. I basically made a partition out of the unallocated area, then resized my restored partition. In the end, that is what I wanted, was 2 partitions on one drive. If I had stated that in my OP, that may have given me different answers.

Third, I still don't see how you resize while in the restore function/app of TI.

Anyway, I think my problem is solved.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

BlizzofOZ,

Please look through this video tutorial

You should pay attention to the Restored Partition Size window, where the resizing of the recovered partition is available.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.