True Image Read Error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Nicholast, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholast

Nicholast Registered Member

Just tried to back up onto a brand new hard drive,
    this was formated ok and all was going fine until the cloning was over then i got a message saying
    "unable to read disk 2 sector 974569907"
    had an option to retry, ignore, or ignore all, was not sure what to do here
    so restarted pc.
    when restarted i got an acronis true image home complete message.
    and all was fine and the pc recognised the new disk and all looked fine as it asked me to restart which i did and all works great the new disk has the exact same space taken up but i cannot boot into this drive
    something about a bootmgr not to sure what this is
    anyone got any ideas
    many thanks

2. Nicholast

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You said you tried to "backup" and then used the word "cloning". Were you doing a clone of the whole hard-drive or were you making an image of the drive or a partition(s)?

Was your format a quick or the slow one? The quick doesn't check much of anything and just writes the base filesystem to the drive.

I'd run chkdsk X: /r on all the partitions the old disk and the disk receiving the backup/clone. Replace the X in the command with the drive letter of the partition being checked. A reboot likely required for some partitions.

Normally the unable to read sector message applies to the source disk but I don't know if disk 2 is that disk. Normally, the first disk is numbered 1 by TI (not 0 as in Windows).

If you did the procedure in Windows you can boot the TI rescue CD and try it. This takes any Windows issues out of the picture and lets TI deal with a static disk.

If you are cloning be very careful you get the clone direction correct and do not enable anything that has to do with wiping the source drive after the clone is done!

4. Nicholast

hi
    yes i was cloning 1 drive to another
    the new hard disk was slow formated
    the read error was from the source drive.

but today after the pc was off over night i tried to boot into the clone again
    and it worked all seems ok and works fine
    just not sure why i had the error
    what i have noticed is the new drive (which is the same size and model as the original) now has over 40 gb mor free space but all my programs and music are there just a strange one but all seems ok now

thanks for the reply

5. seekforever

40GB is a lot. I'd treat the old one with care in case something is revealed as missing down the road. Did you disconnect the source drive before the first boot so the machine only saw one drive? Windows can get confused if it starts up for the first time with 2 identntical drives attached.

6. Nicholast

I did not go inside and remove drive, but i disabled it in manager
    should it be removed ?
    thanks for your help

7. seekforever

I honestly don't know if that is adequate. BIOS would have recognized the drives so it depends on what happens in what order when Windows starts. I tend to think that it is adequate.

8. Nicholast

Ok thanks as i did not want to go to the trouble of taking it out compleatly ...

9. seekforever

You could disable it in BIOS which means Windows would never see it or for real confidence, you can just pull off the data cable and/or the power cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.