True Image Or True Image ECHO?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SEAS, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

I'm building a new daw for my studio and plan on building another later on in the year.

So I want to know which product would be better for me. :D

I am considering 2 of the bundles.

1. True Image 11 + Disk Director Suite 10 or...

2. True Image ECHO + Universal Restore + Acronis Drive Cleaner.

One question I have is will the True Image ECHO + Universal Restore + Acronis Drive Cleaner do the EXACT SAME as the True Image 11 + Disk Director Suite 10... only with more options?

Here's a link to the products.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/holidays/2006/

I thought I read somewhere that the True Image ECHO would restore your system EVEN with different hardware. My 2nd daw will have the exact same motherboard, processor, etc. and thought that this would be a GREAT way to go if I could just load the Image on the 2nd system without spending days reloading all my software.

Any help in the area would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jamie

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have to ask, what is DAW?

Anyhow back to your question! I take it the Echo version you're thinking of is the Workstation.

The biggest differences with the Echo products against the home are;

You can use Universal Restore.
    You can remote access and manage your schedules.
    You can assign groups of users - probably not a big plus for you.

I'm not sure about workstation, the server versions allow consilidating of images and archives as well as cloning of tasks.

The Echo versions cannot read images made by v11 Home - though Home can read Echo images.

Echo does not do the same thing that Disk Director does - so if you needed disk editing and the ability to run multiple OS's then you'd still need to purchase DD.

Colin

3. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks Colin for your reply! :)

A DAW is a "Digital Audio Workstation" for recording music. Basically... it's a computer that is like a whole recording studio in a box with some hardware integrated.

I went ahead and purchased the True Image 11 Home + Disk Director Suite 10bundle special.

My ONLY question now is this:

1. When I build my first daw pc, and load ALL my programs... then make a "True Image" for restoring... when I build my 2nd daw and it's built with the SAME motherboard, cpu, and memory... can I just take the True Image from the first computer and then LOAD it onto the 2nd computer without having to reload all my programs again?

I believe this is possible and all I would need is a 2nd copy (or license) of True Image.

So... if you or someone else knows the answer to that question that would be great! :D

Thanks,
    Jamie

4. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

That should work for you but don't forget you also need additional licenses for Windows and all the other apps you are going to include in the clone.

Corey

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

So long as the image didn't contain a copy of TI and you didn't install your copy on the second machine you'd be OK as far as TI licences are concerned I think. XP is another matter of course :)

You should be able to clone your drive for the second machine - with a but, you'll need an XP/Vista or whatever OS you are using, and run a repair install. This would leave all your programs intact, the only things you'd lose would be any Microsoft updates you may have installed.

You'd need to post what OS you are using, as the Vista installer is different to the XP one.

It may well boot as the drivers will be the same- but I suspect the network card would be enough for Windows to demand activation.

Before you do any of this, you need to make a rescue CD and check that it will boot on your system and see your drives, just in case something goes wrong.

Colin

6. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks guys for your replies!

I'll be installing XP Pro and "maybe" a dual boot of XP 64 since 64 can read extra ram and my mb (Intel D975XBX2 or "Bad Axe" as it's refered by endusers) can hold up to 8 gigs of ram.

Jamie

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  7. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

building a computer and installing an operating system and programs requires you to agree to EULA for the OS and Programs, during this process the computers hardware serial #s are recorded bu the OS.

when you use acronis to create an image of the software loaded and attempt to load that image to another computer with diff serial #s windows will see the diff serial #s and give many problems [BSOD most likely] and reboot, if it does boot it will most likely require reactivation, which puts you in violation of the EULA with the OS and programs!

its best and easier to load both independly and create your images after a full load of each computer.

acronis true image universal restore gives you the ability to reload the image you made for a PC to a repaired PC after a hardware failure [motherboard, proc, harddrive] without to much trouble, it would be best to have the WS edition and the universal restore plugin and create the bootable CD's to recover in a timely manner, say 30 minutes or so vs a timely reload of the complete software package.

8. SEAS

SEAS Registered Member

Thanks Mac25 for your reply!

So... what if my MB went out on the first daw and (of course) everything was backed up by True Image. Would there be a problem if I had to replace my MB or CPU or something?

Thanks,
    Jamie

9. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

if the hardware serial # changed for just the mobo you may only have to reactivate the OS [you may not], and load the drivers for that mobo, at that point acronis isnt needed to rebuild because the hard drive & OS is still intact, although it would be a good idea to make a new backup with the new hardware serial # that was recorded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.