True Image leaves paper trails...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by old_s13, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_s13

old_s13 Registered Member

Not sure why this happens, but I figure I would point it out just incase anyone else here is troubled by this.....

If you open up a True Image Backup File (TIB) and double click on a file to temporarily extract its contents, whatever you click on gets stored on that PC in the following folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Temp

If you have any company documents or any valuable information that you dont want accidentally left behind, you'de better go in the above folder and DELETE IT MANUALLY... otherwise it remains on that PC.

To compare with a program like WinRar, when you decompress and restore an individual file from a RAR archive - the file is temporarily extracted but never leaves a copy on the PC.

True Image *should* delete the temp files automatically.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Nowadays it is a good thing to run a "housecleaning" program like CCleaner. It will remove those file in Temp and Temporary Internet Files and also Cookies folders.

3. old_s13

Firefox is already capable of deleting your temporary internet files.

This has nothing to do with that, this has to do with temporary file usage. When you open a file in True Image, theres no reason for it to store a copy in that temp directory.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

What version are you using? Version 9 doesn't appear to leave anything in that folder.

My CCleaner won't delete anything in that folder unless the folder is put into CCleaner's Include area.

5. old_s13

We're using 9.5 build 8072 on Win2k3 Server

I tested it again today, definitely leaves files in the temp area...

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

TI isn't the only prgram that leaves remnants in the temp folder - Lotus Notes, SQL server tend to leave their lock files lurking as do many others.

Theoretically of course Windows is supposed to clear this folder, but has never seemed that successful to me.

Colin

7. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Registered Member

Agreed.
    Windows is touted as the world's most secure OS. ha ha

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Thre are ways to work around these things both on PCs and the puprtedly safer MACs. But like most security, it's a pita andyou have to gauge the incovenience against the risks and potential degree of harm. Let's face it, most folks don't have data worth stealing and don't need a triple deadbolt on the door.

And note also, besides the temp file directory, the page and hibernation files contain all kinds of stuff unless you delete or wipe them.

If you want a secure PC, then don't let intruders into it in the first place -- besides any temp-data deleters or wipers, you need a top notch security program active on your machine.

If you think MACs are immune from malware, think again. They are less often targeted because they are so much smaller a market, not just for PC buyers but for attackers too. It's a bit like moving into a "better" neighborhood and then finding out, oh, these houses get robbed too.

9. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Registered Member

Macs aren't invincible? :eek: LOL
    Seriously though, your post was dead on. I couldn't agree more.

10. old_s13

yeah but the main point is, that true image shouldnt leave the data there - it should be extracted temporarily.

if a simple program like WinZip or WinRar doesnt leave paper trails in the cache, then theres no reason trueimage should.

11. seekforever

I agree with you but OTOH if you are that concerned about it you really need a quality wipe program not a simple delete since somebody could get your machine and recover the files unless they have been overwritten.

12. old_s13

Because the average Joe doesnt have data recovery software nor the knowledge to sit, scan a drive and its sectors, and look for deleted content.

It has nothing to do with having a wipe-program to perm-delete the contents, its a matter of not creating (and storing) those temp files in the first place.

13. seekforever

The average Joe doesn't care about your files even if they contain your passwords or various other secrets. However, a malicious person will know how to recover data or know somebody who does.

As far as temp files go, Windows and most other OSs/apps do a lot of work with temporary files on the disk leaving trails floating around in various places including the pagefile.

Like I said before, I agree with your point that TI should delete the temp files since that is certainly a first level of protection. Can it all be done in memory instead of using temporary files, probably, given the amount of memory these days. However, TI does not promote itself as a security product or even a secure product other than its simple password protection of an archive.

Something approaching total security, there is no such thing, requires whole-disk encryption combined with either network isolation or secure communication methods. This, for most users, is too inconvenient to be worth the bother.

14. old_s13

Does it really matter? Seriously... we're going so off topic its not even funny.

If a program extracts a file into the temp folder temporarily, then it should do exactly that - delete it when its done being used.

TI leaves the file in the temp folder, and you have to manually delete it. In our use here, we're talking about files that could be 100-800mb! Thats quite a temp file to just leave behind and not delete.

Like I said, winrar doesnt leave crap all over my computer - theres no reason for trueimage to do that either. It should be mandatory that temp files be automatically deleted, not left behind.

15. seekforever

Raise it as an official support ticket with Acronis or put it in the TI Wish List sticky post at the beginning of the forum.

16. BillyPig

BillyPig Registered Member

Gordon Bennet on a biscuit ! almost 100Mb in said temp folder and not a bit of it down to TI. Thanks for the tip.

Pig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.