True Image keep crashing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by George Anderson, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

This is just an out loud musing here; I wonder if Andy somehow has a registry policy enabled (perhaps an HP default, or maybe if the computer is through work and administrative policy), which prevents manual entries?

Colin

2. George Anderson

George Anderson Registered Member

GroverH and others
    no I don't mind your replies. I am grateful for the help.
    Its just sometimes I don't know how to do the suggestion. I am not that experienced. Like how do I delete the items in the startup. It may be basic, but I'm learning and the next time I won't have to ask how.

I realize I can start some of them manually, and I don't need Ghost anymore since I uninstalled NSR.

What is a registry policy? And this on my home computer. What ever is the policy has been this way since I bought it a year ago.

I have a backup running now. It's 43 gb and it has been running now for 2 hours and it says it 46% done. Does that sound about right?

Never mind, it just finshed. 2hr 5 min. It said 46% right up to the finish. I guess you can't go by the estimate in the bottom toolbar.

Please keep the suggestions coming everyone. Its almost working the way it is supposed to.

Andy

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

George, you are one persistent man, I sure wish you luck, you certainly deserves it after all your work (and the people helping you) . Please be aware that some programs have to be opened and the "preferences" changed to not startup, or they will simply reapply them selves on Bootup.

4. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

George, regarding your startups, this same site, http://www.answersthatwork.com/, has a program "The Ultimate Troubleshooter' (TUT). It has a demo version that will let you see what the program will do, the full version will list your startups with a checkbox to disable, along with advice, and will usually give you instructions on disabling the ones dbknox mentioned that tend to restart themselves. I've used it for two years and found it very helpful, not being the technical wizard that so many of the forum members are.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

To remove entries from Startup, there are several methods.
    1. Open specific program and un-check the options/preferences about "autostart" or however its worded. Next bootup, program will not start during startup.
    2. If #1 suggestion does not find any options to change, then, goto MSconfig/startup and uncheck the program.
    3. Open regedit and goto the Run statement and delete the entry.
    4. Run HiJackThis and checkmark the specific run line for that program. This will remove the item from the Run registry, unless the the change option is inside the program (#1) in which case, the entry will reappear on next bootup.
    5. I use a program by Mike Lin for several years. I use the zip version which is different than the exe version. After install, program access from the Control Panel/startup. You can also create a desktop shortcut. Free with donation suggested. I have never used the one mentioned above by CatFan432 but knox has good programs--one recommended in one of prior posts.
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    Note: I also use his Startup Monitor but that's one thing you do not need is another startup monitor.
    6. If you continue to have problems editing the registry, let me know and we can do a workaround. I looked at Colin's suggestion above but could not find an entry in group policies applicable--I may have just missed. This is a shortcut to there:
    %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
    7. We are now on post #80 and still have the same problem as originally stated. We still have the program or hardware conflict.

6. GroverH

Addendum:
    For you to be able to edit your registry, I believe this should work for you.

1. Download this "PsExec"file

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/PsExec.mspx
    http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/PsExec.zip

2. Unzip the file and place the psexec.exe file in your windows folder.
    3. Open Notepad and paste the info below into Notepad

Code:
    rem  SysInternals PsExec now running.
    Start "" "c:\Windows\psexec" -i -d -s c:\windows\regedit.exe

5. Save the file as C:\WINDOWS\PsExec Regedit.bat
    6. Create a desktop shortcut
    command line= "C:\WINDOWS\PsExec Regedit.bat" (include the quotes)
    shortcut name=PsExec Regedit.bat
    7. To run, click on the shortcut icon which will open the regedit in a special mode and allow changes. When you close regedit. Regedit reverts back to normal.
    Any time you need to make changes, click on the shortcut icon before you start.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

gpedit.msc\user configuration\system\prevent access to registry editing tools normally set as NOT CONFIGURED

This might and probably is a red herring.

We are all assuming this is a legit copy of Windows or hasn't been a legit copy burnt to CD and installed - there's burning and then there's burning sometimes.

Colin

8. George Anderson

I will try that registry edit procedure tomorrow.

My copy of Windows XP Pro came preinstalled on my HP computer a year ago.

Andy

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

This laptop being an HP, does it come with scanning software already installed?

It has been known with the old Pavilions (4-5 years ago) that came with scanner software, to sometimes cause completely unrelated program problems, though normally with graphics programs.

It might be worth unloading the Synaptec keypad service and (without booting my HP laptop) I think the CPQ service - all in MSconfig - startup. Some HP laptops have a problem with ACPI - but you'd know if your's has a misbehaving driver as you won't be able to put the Laptop into hibernation mode, and it won't come out of standby without actually switching it off - I had a number of programs that did strange things until I downloaded the ACPI update for system.

With this new problem (only working if you choose the backup folder first), have you tried starting TI without the backup drive connected? It should still open and allow you to attempt a new not edit a schedule.

Colin

10. George Anderson

Let me give you my specs:

HP pavilion desktop A1250n
    Athon XP 64x2 dual core 3800, 2.08Ghz
    1 GB DDR SDRAM
    1 250 Gb HD
    1 160 Gb HD (for video editing)
    1 500 Gb external (for backups)
    HP DVD writer dvd940i

Just so everone knows what I am working with here.

By the way I unplugged my external drive and I still get the crash when trying do anthing without going to MY Email first.

Andy

11. George Anderson

Well I created that PsExec regedit.bat

I get this error when I run it.

Attached Files:

12. GroverH

Andy,
    My fault. Haste makes waste. I use the bat program on my computer but I gave you a wrong path in posting #81. I have corrected.

The fix is to open Notepad.
    Do a file /open and browse to the c:\Windows folder and open/edit the PsExec Regedit.bat file.

Remove the existing text and and substitute the corrected text below (Use copy & paste--do not try to type.)
    Code:
    [b]rem  SysInternals PsExec now running.
    Start "" "c:\Windows\psexec" -i -d -s c:\windows\regedit.exe[/b]
    Then do a file/save and save the corrected file using the same name as before.

Now, you should be able to click the shortcut and regedit should immediately open. If you watch closely, you will see a window black command window open and close really quickly just prior to regedit opening.

Let me know your results and I apologize for wasting some of your time.
    The only purpose of this entire procedure is to allow you to edit the registry should you have a need. Currently, you are unable to perform registry edits. This procedure will allow edits when edits are not otherwise allowed.

addendum #1:
    Troubleshooting if using the bat file does not succeed.
    1. Open Explorer and browse to the C:\Windows folder.

Look at the various files listed and make sure you find these 3 files.
    "PsExec Regedit.bat" and psexec.exe and regedit.exe

If you find the files in different places, then change the path inside the batch file.

tips:
    (Click on the "name" column header and the files will be sorted by name a-z. reclicking header again will resort to z-a).

One tip I use to find files quickly is to sort a-z and then mouse click (lightly) the first entry. Then press the first letter of the file (P) being sought (psexec.exe). From there, you can either keep re-pressing the letter P (to cycle thru all files with letter P), or use the down arrow to traverse files. After being found (or not finding it) press the first letter of the next sequential file being sought (letter R) and look for Regedit.exe.

2. To execute, when you click on the bat file, if path to psexec.exe is wrong, Windows will provide an window with error message. Change the path inside the bat file to proper location.

3. If RegEdit does not open when you click on the batch file, the most likely cause is that path inside the batch file does not match the actual path to where Regedit.exe is located. Change the path inside the batch file.

4. When you click on the batch file, it is normal for a command window to quickly open and close. The contents of the window display is actually the same as the contents of the batch file--except the window opens and closes so quickly you cannot ascertain--unless you press the Pause/break key located upper right keyboard.

5. If you still find you cannot make the batch file work, contact me via private message. The path's could be varied according to the desires of the originator. My listings just one of many ways.
    addendum #2
    CatFan432 helped by reminding me about the....... firewall (zone alarm or others) displaying a popup warning of suspicious behavio--which must be accepted. ......that any anti-virus or anti-spyware program might prevent a run entry being entered into the registry. Secondly, the regedit path could be changed from "c:\windows\regedit.exe" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedt32.exe" within the bat file--should the normal regedit not be available. Thanks CatFan432

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  13. George Anderson

I did the delete and copy and paste. Now I see the black flash but nothing opens up. It happens so fast I can't read it.

This is getting weird.

You know I have been working with everbody for almost 10 days now and the TI is working just about ok. I may have to go in to the Email backup and go back to start but then the program does everything. I think its time to to stop. I am going to continue to use TI like this until something causes it to stop working.

GroverH, Bodgey and others, thank you for for help and advice.

I will still be checking in to the forum now and then, maybe even a few posts. this is great place to pick up tips and learn a few things. I never thought I would do some of the things I tried in the registry. With all the warnings about the registry I was paranoid. But now with TI backups I don't feel that way anymore.

Thanks again to everybody.

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.