True Image keep crashing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by George Anderson, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Andy,

The files will not appear in task manager, because they are not getting entered into the HKLM\.......\RUN part of registry.

Now the interesting thing is, that the reg file I sent you, also didn't import itself into registry. Do you have a registry change checker/tracker software on the computer? The other thing is do you have full permissions on installing and have you tried installing TI with you as the only user, or if that is how you've been installing, then try as an all users install.

Colin

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Bodgy has done all the work and some of mine is a duplication. As he has stated, since you cannot find the files in the Task Manager, they were not written to the registry. You have indicated you have Kasperly and Microsoft Defender. One or both may be monitoring your startup and/or your registry file and is preventing these from being written. Usually, the option is set for the monitoring program to "ask for permission" (and you agree) but maybe the monitoring program is simply refusing the entry.

Let's write the stuff to the registry right now and see if you get any prompts.

1. Highlite the text below and Copy the text into the clipboard and paste it into Notepad. What you see in Notepad should be identical what is posted below.
    2. Save the file with a name of insert-TI.reg (watch folder name where saved)
    3. Open the folder where saved
    4. RIGHT click on the file and click the merge option.

Note: you may be prompted by Kasperly or Defender. Try to identify which.

Once you have done the above, these entries should be found in the MSConfig/startup and should be found in the registry under the HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run grouping. FYI:You can keep this file handy should you have a reuse. Clicking this file multiple times will not create multiple entries. Each click will overwrite the previous.

Text to copy:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "TrueImageMonitor.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Acronis\\TrueImageHome\\TrueImageMonitor.exe"
    "AcronisTimounterMonitor"="C:\\Program Files\\Acronis\\TrueImageHome\\TimounterMonitor.exe"
    "Acronis Scheduler2 Service"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Acronis\\Schedule2\\schedhlp.exe"

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  3. GroverH

Since you had similar problems on your wife's machine, the same startup/registry writing conflict probably exists on both machines.

Your security programs(?) is preventing writing of startup programs. You must examine these programs (on both machines)and change the options to "ask" rather than "refuse".

When you did the repair, the repair forced the registry entry but on the next Acronis install, the problem will re-occur--unless fixed now.

Look at the options of Kasperly and Microsoft Defender and any others that are watching over your Startup.

It is possible that the preceding registry modification might fail until the preventions are removed via option changes inside the security programs.

4. George Anderson

George Anderson Registered Member

I tried the insert-TI.reg and I got a popup from both Kaspersy and Spybot. I set them both to allow. I disabled the "real Time Protection" in Windows Defender. I ran insert_TI.reg again and it said it added it. But I go and look in the registry and "TrueImageMonitor.exe","AcronisTimounterMonitor", "Acronis Scheduler2 Service" are not there. I did it 3 times and it is not there.
    What is preventing the adding of the files to the registry?

I checked my wifes computer and those files are not there on her computer either. But her TI is running ok.

I have checked task manager on both computers and there are no Acronis entries in the "processes" tab.

Andy

5. GroverH

You need to reboot. I forgot to mention.........

Are the files showing in msconfig/startup?

When you say there is no listing in the registry, are you going to the actual spot where the run statement is blank (preferred) or are you trying to search and find it.

and I'm giving you instructions relating to v9 assuming it is the same for V10. Perhaps some of the other forum members running V10 can tell us what acronis items are in the msconfig/startup files and where they are stored.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  6. GroverH

Andy,
    Please recreate the "Insert-ti.reg file again. I had a typing error.
    I have corrected the origiinal text. Sorry & thanks.
    Grover

addendum:
    download and rename the new-ti.txt to new-ti.reg
    Right click on file and choose merge option

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  7. George Anderson

The acronis files are not showing up in msconfig/startup.

I tried the last registry file you made and when I click merge it says its not a binary file. I attached a screen shot.

The others say they changed the registry but when I search the only place those files show up is in not the run directory but just below in the SharedDlls directory.

Ths is getting unusual where nothing is changing. I'm glad your sticking with me on this because i'm way over my head.

andy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

How do you feel about manually entering these entries into registry?

The problem is - you make an error and on reboot, you may need to make a repair install.

First - can you type out the actual path to your TI install? If you have installed it on the 'C' drive and in the default directory/folders then the path should be the same as Grover has written in his registry entry file. If you have installed it to a different folder of your choosing or use a different drive letter, then we'll need to alter the script.

Out of interest are you using regedit or regedt32? There is a minor difference between them, even though all the hive entries are the same.

Colin

9. George Anderson

I have been using regedit.
    What do you mean the path to the install? Explain please. I have been installing to the default that the program sets up.

As far as manually entering into the registry I will try it if I have step by step instructions. Working in the registry is new to me. But as long as I have a way to restore, TI and Norton, I will try.

Andy

10. George Anderson

In response to post #51

I don't have any registry tracker software that I know of.
    I don't know how to check if I have full permissions on installing.
    How would I try installing as an all users, or only user? I just install. I don't know how to change users.
    I haven't had problems with any other software installs.

Andy

11. GroverH

If Windows is refusing to merge file, it must have bad content.

Refer to post #56,
    Download the text file and use rename and rename the extension from .txt to .reg

Again right click the newly named reg file and choose the merge option.

I would be curious if you were to do a search on your wife's computer--assuming that TI is still working.
    An Acronis repair function was done on this computer so we can assume the file locations is correct.

Open explorer and browse to the program files folder
    From there do a file search inside the program files folder and do a search for
    TrueImageMonitor.exe
    The search should show the file being located in folder
    C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome

If the above folder name location is the same, then the reg file is valid.
    If the folder location in her machine is different, then the reg file has the wrong path.

These are the Acronis entries you are expecting to see in the Run section/registry plus other entries of your own startup files

Attached Files:

12. Werni

Werni Registered Member

Hi George
    When I look to your screen shot, I wonder about two things. A) the error message reads "... from within the registry editor ..." B) In your taskbar at the bottom of the screen shot I recognize an icon of regedit with a 2 besides it. When you tried the merge of the .reg text file, was regedit running? If yes, did you try to close registry editor first and then merge the file to the registry?

13. George Anderson

Werni, yes I see what you mean. the first time I tried I did have regedit open. But I closed regedit and tried a couple of times and still got the same error.

14. George Anderson

I went back to post 56 and downloaded the txt file and this time the reg file ran. but I go into the run folder and the TI files are not there.
    The TrueImageMonitor.exe is in both mine and my wifes C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome folder.

I checked my wifes computer and the TI files are not in her run folder either. Her Copy of TI is still working ok.

A have a snapshot of my run folder. The files that you mentioned I could only find in the Shared Dlls folder.

Where are the files going when I run the .reg file. It says it has been entered in to the registry but when I run the .reg file it doesn't say where.

Andy

Attached Files:

15. GroverH

At this point, I'm not sure how I can help you. Over the next few days, I will try to download V10 so I can have a firsthand look at the registry differences. I am on 56K dialup and the download is 103MB.

Regarding the various security programs you have policing the startup folder and registry. If it were me, I would assign that chore to only one program and have it disabled in all the others. You indicated you have Kasberly, SpyBot and Microsoft Defender involved. There could be conflict here.

I would consider restoring your system (or at least the registry) back to the point where your system had never been exposed to Acronis. From there, I think I would start over and do a fresh install and I would do so without the 500G attached. From there, I would also consider doing a TrueImage repair.

There are numerous program which can identify which programs and services begin at startup. Programs such as HiJackThis; AutoRuns;A2HiJackFree;SysInfo for Windows;AutoStart; etc. Any of these might be helpful is showing which programs are actually started.

Don't forget that it takes a reboot to activate some programs and services. You might even try the merging of your reg file into the registry from within safe mode.

More much later. I'm out for a while.

16. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK, I've just installed the trial version of 10 on my laptop. I installed as an all users installation, custom install but choosing all components - to a non default directory, just so that I could make sure the settings I wasseeing weren't corrupted versions of TI9 .

Using regedit these are the results.
    Code:
    In [COLOR="Blue"]HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run[/COLOR] 

[COLOR="Teal"]Acronis Scheduler2 Service    REG_SZ C:\prog files\common\acronis\schedule2\schedhlp.exe.
    Acronis TimounterMonitor      REG_SZ C:\Acronis\True ImageHome10\Timounter.exe.
    TrueImageMonitor.exe          REG_SZ C:\Acronis\TrueImageHome10\TrueImageMonitor.exe[/COLOR]

Under HKLM\..........\sharedDLLs A different structure to v9 is shown, but should show something like paths to all the BartPe components (if BartPE option installed) some new components tishell32, two new paths C:\program...\Common...\Acronis\BackupScripts and as above with BUS being exchanged for Fomatik.

Check that these paths actually have been installed on your system - noting that a default install will have the path C:\program files\acronis etc.

Then we'll try entering the run time scripts into registry manually.

Colin

OK, I'm now pretty sure that this problem is definitely to do with the lack of registry entries. I tried to run TI10 without rebooting, and TI opened as it should and then came up with the cannot find modules error. I then rebooted and everything works as advertised, it even recognises my TI9 tasks as well. I should add that the laptop has WindowsDefender running and has the 'dead' trial version of NOD32 on it

17. George Anderson

I checked again and there are no Acronis files in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] directory.

I have a snapshot of the place where I have found some of the Acronis files that we have been trying to install.
    These are in the same place on my wife's computer and that is working fine.

Andy

Attached Files:

18. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Yup those ones are correct - lets try bunging them into RUN as well.

I wonder if there is a problem with regsrver - though why that would be on two systems I don't know.

To hand enter the registry entries - open regedit, naviagte to HKLM etc \RUN

On the right hand side panel, hover the mouse over a part of the panel that has no entries - at the bottom of the last entry would be best.

Right click and choose NEW from the popup menu.

Move down to string value on the submenu. It will default to saying New Value #1 type in (as you would if renaming a file name in explorer) the first line as in the reg files or the text above. The second column will automatically have the words REG_SZ.

Now right click on the string value you've just renamed and you'll get an option to modify, DON"T select the binary data one. From the little text box that pops up, type in the path to the file as above, taking care to make sure that you substitute your path if it differs from our examples.

Do this for each of the 3 programs.

When done, close regedit, reboot and on logon, check to see if these entries are still in registry, if so, see if scheduler2 is now in services.msc, and running. Check in MSConfig for the other two and then try to start TI up and see what happens.

If you are unsure about your entry, then before actually altering registry, post here your proposed entry and we'll see if it looks about right.

Colin

19. GroverH

Thank you bodgy for posting the picture from v10 in your #66 posting. Your posting shows one difference as compared to my postings. I have one line which reads
    TrueImageMonitor but should read TrueImageMonitor.exe

I have corrected posting #52
    The file in #56 will have to be corrected in Notepad and resaved by the user.

The listing in the shared Dll is normal. This is a part of the standard installation although Andy has one file showing a value of 2 whereas my value is 1.

The run statements could be in other parts of the registry such as HKCU/run or even others but the fact that they are not showing in services makes me believe the startup run statements do not exist in his machine.

I will be interested in seeing how the manual additions to registry work out.

20. George Anderson

I went in to the registry and tried to add a new entry.
    I went to New, string value,- it came up to New value # 1 like you said. I tried to rename the first line but I get an error. I need a little more detailed explanation on how, and exactly which files.

Andy

Attached Files:

21. GroverH

You should be able to right click your string entry and choose the rename option. If not, then right click the entry and choose the delete option and remake the entry.

When the new entry is bolded, you can type in your title as part of the initial creation. If you need to correct the entry, right click the entry and choose rename. Once you get the title correct, then you can right click and choose modify and add your full path statement.

22. George Anderson

I don't know what it happening. I create the entry New Value #1, It won't let me rename it, same as before, I go to delete it and it wont let me delete it either. The entry is deleted when I change directory or close regedit. I would start pulling my hair out but there's not much left .

Andy

Screenshot:

Attached Files:

23. George Anderson

I just purchased a 2nd copy of TI just to make it legal and tried to install it on my computer. I don't want to mess with my wife's since it is working ok.

1. I unistalled True Image
    2. Unistalled Norton Save & Restore
    3. I went into msconfig, and checked diagnostic startup.
    4. Turned off Windows defender.

rebooted

1. Installed True Image
    2. turned on all msconfig startup itmes.

rebooted

I tried TI and it said that "modules were missing" so I did a repair/install.
    now it still crashes unless I go into the Backup, My Email settings first.

I checked the registry and now there are a couple of TI entries in the run folder.

Andy

screenshot:

Attached Files:

24. GroverH

One thing was successful( and it was probably the repair) and this is you now have the 3 required entries in your Run folder which should mean you can see them inside msconfig/startup.

As I look at the listing in your Run section, it would appear that you need to remove about 75% of those listed (generally listed). The entry of Ghost and Registry Mechanic could be some grief. Before you can get V10 running, you may have to complete your pruning of startup.

Everytime you install a new program, each one wants its entry in Startup whereas it is usually not needed. Rather than having the program running in memory all the time, you can manually start it. I would suggest you look at each listing and only keep those which are truly necessary--such as your virus programs.

I keep causing you work. Pretty soon, you will get tired of seeing my posts.:)

25. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

George,

This site might help you determine what to do with the various startups: http://www.answersthatwork.com/ Click "Task List" and you should get some info on most if not all of the entries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.