True image home 2009 question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by flgthumb, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flgthumb

flgthumb Registered Member

Siorry i'm just a newbie here. Just started using this product and created a full backup. Was having problems with my computer, blueray drive stoped working so i tried to restore computer to a time when i knew it was working. I did the restore and it seemed to freeze at the end. So i did it again. At the end it did the same thing, then noticed that it said it was 100% completed. However i had clicked for it to restart, and it never did. And couldn't get out of true image it all. I ended up stopping the computer by the power button as everything seemed locked up. When i restart now. it has 2 copys of everything that was supposed to be restored and overwritten of the originals. I have hardly any hard drive space left and a total mess now. Don't know if i did something wrong. Could i have mounted it as an image? I looked at that possibility and only saw i could name it :g so not sure if it would overite :c or just be another drive and then rename it to :c. at this point i wouldn't have the room right now anyway. Don't know how to get rid of all the extra backup data that has been put on my computer now. All the extra files have the (.ink) extension to them. I tried to roll back my computer also again through my computers recovery program. and it just rolled back the things to the selected date, but i still have everything else that was installed with the restore through true image 2 times. Don't know what to do except for a full restore as from the factory.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Umm could you add line spacing to your posts, it's a little difficult to read otherwise (well for me anyway) :)

First, is this using TI in Windows or from the Rescue CD and what version, full, trial, latest build etc?

What operating system are you using?

If you had mounted the drive, this would disappear on reboot.

Do you recall if you made an image or a files and folders backup?

Do you by chance have two internal drives and you tried to clone your machine?

That file extension is it an 'I' or really a lower case 'l'?

If it is an 'Lnk' then all the 'doubling up' are shortcuts and I haven't the faintest idea how that would happen, but I'm assuming you can still boot into your computer in which case you can delete all those extra lnk icons.

Using Windows Explorer have a look at My Documents folder off of My Computer (if using XP) and check to see if there are two folders with your user name listed. One of these may have your_user_name.temp or your_user _name.000001.

Do you have another computer that you can check the image on the external drive on?

Colin

3. flgthumb

flgthumb Registered Member

Ok, i haven't been to clear on a few things. Sorry about that. First off, I have a windows vista 64 bit system, with one hard drive. I created and placed on an external drive a file to contain backups. It stated it is a full backup. I wanted to creat an image but because of the wording in the True image, i found out i had created a "backup" I find the wording in the instructions talking about images and backups a little vague.
    The files created on my computer now by doing the restore are .Ink files. With a capital I.
    But i have also found now, when i go into the folders that contain the actual files, they are copies of the origin name so now i have 3 files of everything that was restored. i wanted to copy here a snip pic of the actual files, but couldn't do it. But the files are the same as what they are supposed to be, such as .exe .dll and so on.
    The .Ink files are what shows up on the selection when you go to the programs from the main start and the vertical window pops up which shows all the programs on your computer. So i assume as it was said they are link files to link to the programs. Wish i could post a pic here to clarify this.
    I don't understand why, when i restored it using windows, why it didn't remove the two restores which i had done using the true image?
    Some of the other questions. It was done using windows and not a restore cd. I have searched and found there is an updated version released recently, This hasn't been downloaded and installed.
    I beleive it is a files and folders backup and not an image. But i am not sure, only that it says backup. I thought i was creating an image....
    that is what i wanted!

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Hmm no CR and /N on your keyboard, oh well never mind.

If you have made a files and folders backup, and restored these to a new place then you will end up with duplicates. All the duplicates can be deleted.

To make an image make sure you choose BACK UP and then MY COMPUTER in TI.

Colin

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

flgthumb,

First, as previosly requested. put fewer sentences into your paragraphs. Having all your text in one paragraph, makes it difficult to read and even harder to understand. If you want help, make it easy on the potentional helpers.

Since you don't know what will or won't work, my suggestion would be to get additional drive and use it for testing and maybe get it usuable before you worry anymore about the old one.

If you get a new drive and then boot from the TI Rescue CD and Restore all your old partitions, you can get this new disk working.

If you wanted to get your old disk working new, I would have you delete all the existing partitions and restore to unallocated space. But, the risk in this is that you will destroy what you have. Of course, if your are considering putting your system back to factory fresh, there would be no harm in clearing the existing partitions and trying the restore of all your partitions again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.