True Image Home 2009 does not detect external hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tom Haworth, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Haworth

Tom Haworth Registered Member

I recently bought Acronis True Image Home 2009 and a portable hard drive. I immediately backed up the internal hard drive on my HP laptop computer. I backed up the full image of the hard drive to the external hard drive. About a month later, my internal hard drive crashed completely. I had a new internal hard drive installed on my laptop with no software on it. Since I bought the retail box version of True Image, I used the bootable media provided (CD-ROM) to bring up Acronis to restore the backup image on my external hard drive which was plugged into a USB slot. When I tried to browse for the backup files, Acronis did not detect the external drive. It just listed the CD drive. When I tried to add a hard drive, it would not let me. What do I need to do the get Acronis that is booted from the bootable media to recognize the external hard drive I have plugged in?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It's a very common problem. When you boot from the CD it uses Linux as the OS and that version of Linux doesn't have the driver to enable it to detect your external drive. The workaround is to build a BartPE cd that has the True Image plug-in embedded in it.

Here's one method for building the BartPE cd that was posted by another user quite a while ago:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=839781&postcount=1

BTW, with True Image 2009, in order to get the plug-in, you have to log into your Acronis account. It is no longer provided automatically with the software.

3. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

DwnNdrty is perfectly correct here.

One other way may be to contact Acronis via LiveChat and ask for a ISO file to create a special boot disk containing additional drivers.

You will have to provide your Acronis license number. I have read in threads here that Acronis have done this in the past. Its worth a try anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.