True Image Home 11 vs MaxBlast 5

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Planemaker, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Planemaker

Planemaker Registered Member

Ok I have downloaded and used MaxBlast 5 which I think is a scaled down version of True Image Home 10.

So, is it worth the cost to upgrade to full version of True Image Home 11?

If I do will my previous backups work with the fullup verions (the file extension is the same)?

One advantage I am aware of is that MaxBlast scans to make sure that at least one drive is either Seagate or Maxtor which does limit the choices of internal and external drives.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If Maxblast is doing what you want it to do then stay with it, unless you see something in True Image Ver 11 that you need. As for the need to have a Maxtor drive attached, if you buy one and put it in an external exclosure, that's all you would need, even if you didn't actually use it to store the Images.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

4. onzey

onzey Registered Member

Re: Using MaxBlast 5

Hi. Just joined the forum for a bit of advice about Maxblast and thought it might be worth asking in this thread.

I've recently used it to backup an image of a laptop drive (Western Digital) to a Seagate drive attached via usb.

This worked ok and I can boot the laptop into Windows XP, run Maxblast and mount the image and see my files without problem.

However, I created a bootable CD in Maxblast and tried booting with that (with Seagate drive attached via usb) and get the "must have a Seagate drive in the system" type message.

Is this to be expected? I'd hoped that should the internal drive ever fail I could just install any brand of new drive into the laptop, boot from the CD and restore from the usb Seagate drive image.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  5. DwnNdrty

Re: Using MaxBlast 5

I know it works with a desktop system ... just having the Maxtor as a usb drive. I don't know why it wouldn't work with your laptop. If you have a Maxtor instead of a Seagate, try that instead.

6. onzey

onzey Registered Member

Thanks for reply.

I did try a Maxtor actually and that didn't work either. The laptop is a Dell by the way. I've also tried the Seagate and the Maxtor on an HP laptop and neither worked (booting from CD).

However, I just tried the Seagate on an Acer laptop, booting from the CD again and guess what, it worked. Very strange o_O

I assume there must be a usb driver on the boot cd so perhaps the driver isn't suitabls for all laptops.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  7. DwnNdrty

I just tried Maxblast 5 on an old Dell laptop and an Averatec laptop, using a Maxtor drive in an external usb case and MaxBlast booted up okay. Must be something with the newer Dell laptops.

8. onzey

onzey Registered Member

Hi DwnNdrty

Out of interest, how old are the laptops you've tried?

The three I've tried are all probably about 3-4 years old (centrino models).

9. DwnNdrty

The Averatec is 3 years old, but the Dell is much older, probably about 8 years - it is an 850Mhz Latitude C 600. The Maxtor I used is a regular 17Gb desktop one that I put in an external case - not the ready-made external ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.