True Image Home 11 vs 10 Backup Issue

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BoomerangThree, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoomerangThree

BoomerangThree Registered Member

I installed v11 of True Image, I've been using True Image since v9.

Went to backup my HD to an external drive connected via USB and the backup failed about a minute into it. Attempted several times to backup, rebooted, cold boot, ect., even uninstalled and reinstalled v11. Still same issue.

So, I then uninstalled v11 and reinstalled v10 and everything worked just fine.

So I'm looking for any suggestions and here is my setup.

Vista x64 with 6GB of memory.
    Data drive to backup is 1TB, of which 400GB is filled
    Backup driver is 500GB of which 500GB is free and this drive is attached via USB 2.0

Thanks for any support and assistance.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try using the Rescue CD of Ver 11 and see if that works to do the backup.

3. BoomerangThree

Just so I understand before I attempt this, create a "Rescue CD" and within it there will be the ability to backup my HD?

This is definitely a workaround, but it appears that I will have to boot up with the "Rescue CD" everytime I want to backup my data, which is on a regular basis?

Thanks.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

DwnNdrty's recommendation will help narrow the problem down, is it a Windows problem or live-imaging problem only or does it occur in the rescue CD's Linux environment as well when the disk is static.

Regardless, you must create a Rescue CD so you can test your recovery. When the active partition is restored Windows can't be running so the Linux rescue environment is loaded either by a reboot from Windows or booting the CD. If you have lots of created archives and haven't restored you haven't any confidence in the system.

5. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I don’t think this is a workaround. DwnNdrty most likely was trying to isolate the problem. In any event if a hard drive crashes you would need the Rescue Media CD for v.11 to restore it.

Yes, you can backup as well as restore from this CD that you create.

6. BoomerangThree

What I meant by a workaround is that by using the Rescue CD, you lose out on the integrated, scheduled backup capabilites of True Image.

Instead of config and forget, I would have to boot up on the Rescue CD to backup. That is if I understand correctly.

v10 is working fine, so no hurry on my part, but as most of us, I sure want to be able to use v11 as my primary backup facility, integrated into the OS.

Thanks again for all the support.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BoomerangThree,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (8053) of Acronis True Image 11 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. BoomerangThree

I reinstalled v11 and turned off "compression" and it now backs up my hard disk, so as others reported, something is awry with "compression".

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Be very careful assuming this is the fix. Others have reported this as a fix for various problems and versions only to discover that it moved something that was a little over the edge back to the edge on their system. Looked like it was working and then it stopped working later when perhaps there was more data or some other subtle change.

I have no idea what TI11 changed, if anything, regarding compression but in previous versions, compression itself was not a probem. The problem stemmed more from the computer having to do more work compressing/decompressing thus using "more hardware" and data movement in the process with the attendant probability of more things to go wrong.

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

That's good advice. Whil eusing ATI11 and this USB drive, I'd probably run a validation frequently and definitley do a test restore to be sure ATI11 could read the restore file successfully. either that or go back to ATI10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.