True Image... First Time

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by javaman5656, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javaman5656

javaman5656 Registered Member

Greetings to all on the Forum,
    I have just purchased True Image 9.0 for the purpose of doing a complete backup of my new Dell computer INCLUDING the operating system. I also bought a Seagate 100gb external HD. My computer came with 160gb HD. Dell seems to be having a bit of trouble with their HD's and I wanted the external and the Acronis to back up my computer right out of the box so that in the event of a HD failure, restoring my system will be an easier task. I checked with many people about which software to get and they ALL said Acronis. My problem is that I am not that familiar with this software and while trying to follow the online instructions, I became a bit confused. I was hoping there might be less complicated steps to follow. Again, please excuse my ignorance but I had some trouble trying to follow all the links neccessary to perform my backup. I understand there needs to be a bootable CD or DVD and I was hoping to be able to transfer the used part of my 160gb HD to the external 100gb HD. Is this possible or am I not able to backup due to the fact that the external or data target HD is only 100gb. I'm sure you all must be laughing by now at how little I understand this software. I Thank You ALL for your time and any help you might provide... art

2. Charlie Wisc.

Charlie Wisc. Registered Member

Your external HD is sized just fine. It only needs to be big enough for the size of the image of the USED space on the drive or partition you're imaging. For example, I have 9.5 Gig of used space on the 60 Gig partition I image. The image turns out to be 6 Gig in size, using "normal" compression during imaging. Thus, in theory, you could store ~ fourteen images of the used space I have on my 60 Gig drive, on your 100 Gig external drive. Now don't try to really store that many, 'cause the destination drive NEEDS to have some free space to work well. But you get the idea. On your desktop, left double-click on "My Computer" Then right single click on the drive you want to image. Windows will tell you how much "used space" is on that drive. Figure that your image of that used space will end-up about 70% as big.

Acronis only makes rescue disks on CD's, not on DVD's. I don't know exactly how many MB the rescue disks needs, but it doesn't take very much of the 600MB on a CD.

I'll leave step-by-step info to others. But will keep watch on your thread, & kick-in my 2 cents worth if response is slow. Acronis has been good software for me. And tech support thru this forum is OK. Don't let some of the nay-sayers get to you.

3. Bcreek

Bcreek Registered Member

I am new but have used it successfully without problems. You can backup to your external drive if it has enough space for all your files even though it may be smaller than your main hard drive. Just hit Backup and select full option, and it is done and quickly. Create a bootable CD by selecting that option on the menu. That process is easy and quick also. I agree that the manual was written for people with more technical knowledge than most computer users. I submitted a few questions to this forum and got good answers.

4. javaman5656

Thank you ALL for the fast and very acurate information. I have done the Backup to the external HD and when I open the HD under Windows Explorer I see the following.... Startup (my choice of name) 11... 4,194,304... Startup 12... 4,193,304..... Startup 13... 2,572,683...
    This was saved to my external... I assume that it might indicate the burning of files to the external HD plus the FAT sectors of the original HD.
    I then created the backup CD Rom Disk...
    I am VERY grateful to both that responded to my problem.. Does this information that I have observed make sense to you? Example... I created a file on the external HD called 'Backup' The Acronis program wrote the three files to the external. Is this the normal operation? .. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. It appears to me that I have found a new Forum to view and spend time to learn from. Without sounding corney, the advice I have recieved in one day truely upholds the true Spirit of these Forums. Many Thanks to ALL.... art

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Your disk is probably FAT32 and True Image will split the file at 4GB because that is the maximum file size for FAT32. So you have 2 maximum size (4GB) pieces and what is left over, the 2,572,683 piece.

6. Charlie Wisc.

Charlie Wisc. Registered Member

Yes Javaman, it does look like your external HD has been formated in the FAT system. Most likely your new Dell is formated in NTSC, as that's the most common format in newer drives.

If you were to format the external HD also in NTSC, then your images would each be in one file ( there's no 4 Gig restriction in the NTSC system ). Having both your Dell main drive, and external HD formated in NTSC would be more convienent, though not necessary. If you do reformat your external HD, you will loose the Acronis images and any other data there. But doing the reformat this early in the game, will greatly reduce the number of files to look at later.
    -----------
    To reformat, with external hd connected: right click on "My Computer" / left click on "manage" / left click on "Disk Management" / right click on the external HD that will be pictured / left click on "format" / choose NTSC and "quick format".

7. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

There is one advantage to having those 4.19 GB chunks ... for extra security you can burn those to DVD media.

8. javaman5656

Hello Again,
    Since my last post, I did the recommended steps... Full Backup and then made the bootable disk from the left menu listing. AND as I posted, Acronis made three separete files that I brought your everyone's attention. Seagate, the external HD I'm using, told me that I may have had a problem with the backup since when I attempted to disconnect the USB cable from the hardware icon, I was told that the 'generic' drive was still in use and to try again. I waited three hours and still got the same message. So, I powered down on the Seagate by depressing the power button. Seagate told me that this is a sure way to corrupt data. I asked for the 'next step'... They told me to format the drive and start all over again. No problem at my end. I did the format and it took a while but was successful. I then did the SAME backup proceedure that I followed before. Now the Seagate only has one file on it for about 11GB. This was possible the same number that I posted perviously. AND I again got a message when I attempted to disconnect from the USB hardware icon... To repeat... My intension was to backup my New Dell Computer with an external HD since Dell appears to be having problems with their drives. I wanted the easiest way to restore my computer WITH the operatinfg system and put less stress in my life. This simple request has led to many hours of searching and obtaining help, from good people like you, to make my dream a reality.
    My first files were listed above. This is what has been listed now.... 'Mybackup' Acronis True Image backup Ac... 11,123,720...
    File Name: MtBackup.tib
    File Type: Backup Archives(*.tib).. So this is my story... I truely apoligise for my ignorance with this backup process. In my defense, this is the first time I have ever attempted this....AND I seem to be learning more every day...
    So, THANKS to ALL my new friends on the Acronis Forum (if I still have any).
    Being at a stand still, I will await any and ALL information you might have to offer and I due apppreciate the time you all have taken to read this long message and (hopefully) respond to it... art
    By the way... Windows will NOT release my external HD using the USB port while the external HD is poweredup. Might this be a problemo_O art

9. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

At this point, here is what I would recommend you do:
    1) Shut down completely and disconnect all external USB/FireWire devices.
    2) Start up and IMMEDIATELY press and hold Control and F11 keys until you get the Dell PC Restore screen. Confirm that you want to restore the computer to the condition it was in when you opened the box. Proceed with the complete restore until you see the restored desktop.
    3) Shut down completely.
    4) Connect and turn on your Seagate external USB drive.
    5) Start up your Dell and IMMEDIATELY press and hold F12 until you see the one-time boot order menu. Arrow key down to the internal CD/DVD drive and select it. Open the CD drawer and insert your Acronis Rescue CD. Close the drawer and press Enter. Allow the computer to boot into the Acronis environment.
    6) Select Create Image and then select the Dell (ENTIRE DISK check box) as the source drive and the Seagate external USB drive as the destination.
    7) Choose to NOT DELETE ALL DATA on the Dell drive.
    8 ) Choose to DELETE ALL PARTITIONS on the Seagate destination drive and proceed.
    9) When complete, shut down the Dell and remove the Acronis Rescue CD. Restart with the Seagate USB drive on and attached.
    10) When you get to the desktop, install the latest version of TrueImage and restart.
    11) At the desktop, launch TrueImage and select Check Image. Select your Seagate external drive and proceed. If the image checks OK you have a complete backup of your Dell drive which can be restored when needed.
    A few notes.....
    1) Your Dell drive has three partitions: a visible C partition that contains your OS and all data; a hidden <100MB diagnostic partition you can boot to on startup by immediately pressing F12; and a hidden 3-4GB Dell PC Restore partition which contains the factory image of your hard drive which can be restored by immediately pressing Control plus F11 on bootup.
    2) If you make ANY changes to your hard drive partition structure or modify the drive's master boot record or erase any part of the Dell PC Restore software on the C drive, your restore function will be forever broken.
    3) When you want to detach your Seagate external USB drive from your running Dell, you must first close all open windows on your Seagate drive and go to the safe shutdown icon on the taskbar. You should receive the Safe to Remove message. If instead you get the busy try later message, shut down your Dell first and then power off the Seagate and disconnect it.
    Report back and let me know if you succeeded. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2006
  10. Jason Miller

Jason Miller Registered Member

I installed T.I. 9.0 and run it from the icon on the desktop. Before starting the computer, I plug in a second IDE drive into the second motherboard slot. When I restart, the computer recognizes the second drive and I just double click the Acronis icon. The menu comes up, I choose clone the drive, erase all partitions on the backup drive and continue following the prompts. The computer automatically shuts down, restarts and Acronis copies my main drive to the clone in about 15 minutes. I have about 115 Gb that transfer. Most all of it is automated. When the process is done, I get a screen that tells me to press enter to shut down the computer. I do that, remove the clone drive and then restart. You cannot restart the computer with both drives in it because they are duplicates and it confuses the computer which one to start from and starts assigning letters. It may assign the wrong letter to your main drive depending on how it is hooked up. It is a great program and every so often I unplug my main drive and plug the clone into its slot and restart. The computer boots perfectly and recognizes the drive as the "C" drive, even though it is the clone.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello javaman5656,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As far as I can understand you create an image saving it to the Seagate external USB hard drive and after the image creation process is finished try to disconnect this hard drive using Widows embedded "safely remove hardware" feature. In spite of the fact that the image creation process has been finished already, you receive an error message stating that the drive is still in use by some application. In other words, hard drive remains locked even after the image process is finished.

If that's the case then first of all please make sure that you closed all programs which may refer to your external USB hard drive (e.g. Windows Explorer or any other file browser, Acronis True Image itself, etc.).

If that does not help then please also try ending TrueImageMonitor.exe process in Windows Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Delete).

If that does not help either then please use Filemon utility in order to find out what processes are referring to your external USB hard drive when the problem appears. Please inform us about the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Just a note....
    When an external USB hard drive has an open window on the desktop or any unfinished file activity, Windows safe removal will fail and a message to try again later will be presented. There are also rare occasions where Windows will never release such a drive, even with no running tasks, and only a complete shut down will accomplish the release with no risk of data corruption or loss. This is not necessarily related to the presence of TrueImage, in my experience.

13. javaman5656

Again Greetings from a REALLY green user of Acron is 9.0 Image bchup user..

I apoligise for sending another message to the wonderful people who have responded to my earlier questions. I NEVER thought I would have this much trouble using a VERY fine backup program WITH a very fine backup External drive. But... alas, I sit here bewidlered. My have to admit that the imformation I have received from THIS forum has been TOP RATE.. And I tried to intergrate this valuable info into my dealing with Seagate.. (my external Backup Drive).. My FIRST attempt led me to backingup my NEW Dell computer HD WITH the operating system... This ALL went well with the help from this forum.. mY Seagate drive created 3 different files that "Chutsman' thought was nice since I could transfer these three files to DVD. I then attempted to disconnect using my Windows Hardware support function and was told that I had to wait and try another time. After 1 hour I powered down the Seagate and shut down the computer. I then contacted Seagate and they told me that this type of power down can cause file corruption. I then got back to YOU guys and you told me, and I fully agreeded with this info, to do a complete other backup and power down by shutting down the computer. I was EVEN told to RE-install my system to its original condition (right out of the box).. THIS was TRUELY great advice.. I would then follow steps to backup using the steps this very helpful Forum responder suggested. I was about to do just that when I deceided to contact Seagate.... They put me through a very extensive format proceedure. The tech was helpful and he walked me through the steps to format and take out partitions on my external HD. With this done.... I went Back to Acronis and did the complete backup along with creating the bootable disk. HOWEVER, when I was done, Acronis created ONLY file on my external HD of about 11 GB. This is about the same number of GB that were created with my INITIONAL Backup with Seagate and Acronis.... Thank you ALL for bearing with me as I've never done this before. After Seagate support saw that I created a new file for my Dell HD ALONG with my operating system, they were happy and sent me on my merry way..... However, I don't feel warm and fuzzy inside... more like cold pricklie's.... My questions to ALL the Acronis Forum Support people is... How can I be sure if the system backup did it's thing? From my first attempt which led to three files created to the current, after format of the external HD, I how have only one file. PLEASE forgive me as some of you fine people have addressed this problem with me... But, the Seagate support told me to do something else. To ALL my new Friends on the Acronis Forum.... my only intention was to create a backup of my NEW Dell computer, right out of the box, and NOT have to worry about re-installing the operating system in the order that's required. This operation I have only done once with MANY problems... I DID create a new backup on my External Seagate HD last night. And as I said, it created only one file a bit over 11 gigs. If anyone well respond to this message I owe my first born.... I honestly apoligise for the rambling I have done BUT you see this has gone on FAR too long.. The other fine People at the Dell Forum have hightly recommended the Acronis with the Seagate hardware..... I feel VERY ignorant at this point and would like to bring this thing to an end... BOBDAT has given me a Wonderful suggestion to bring mt Dell back to original setting. I am ALL for this suggestion. But not until I'm sure I am doing the backup properly. The folks at Acronis have been very patient and understanding about my situation. The Seagate people have NOT been so welcoming to my woe's... I Thank EVERYONE on this Forum for hearing my Plea and any information will be truely appreciated.... Any help at this popint wouls be GREAT!!!!Many Thanks From Connecticut.... art

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello javaman5656,

Please take a look at this Menorcaman's reply. It should answer your question. You may also find this previous thread interesting.

Please take a look at this previous thread describing the issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

15. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

I have provided you above with every step you'd need to follow in order to create a complete backup of your Dell, including EVERYTHING Dell supplied you with when you received your computer, as your initial post had seemed to ask for.

If you follow those steps exactly, you will end up with only one image file stored on your external Seagate which will have been created by TrueImage. If you follow those steps, you will have verified that that file is usable, which is about as reassuring as it gets when using TrueImage. The only additional step you could take at that point would be to actually restore that image file to your original hard drive and test it after restore.

What else do you want to reassure you?

And, by the way, if you ask for advice from several sources like Seagate, Acronis Support, Dell Forum participants or people like me here, you set yourself up for the kind of conflict and confusion you are now facing.

You're going to have to choose who you want to follow and do it at some point if you really want to end it as you say.

16. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Javaman5656, just follow Bobdat's suggestions and you will be fine. Don't obsess! :rolleyes:

17. javaman5656

Bobdat,
    I now FULLY understand and believe in the wonderful message on your previous post. My ONLY concern with contacting Seagate was due to the fact that my first intital backup created 3 files all under 4.2GB. I then ran into the problem of properly removing my external hardware device. Seagate told me that the way I removed the hardware was a 'sure' way to corrupt the data. So I followed their advice as to returning my Seagate setting BACK to the original (out of the box) settings. They DID finally show me the way to remove the partitions on the HD and to do a 'Quick format'. I then did the complete backup and got only one file on my external HD and the same error message as I tried to disconnect. They (Seagate) told me to shut down the computer with the Seagate and USB cable still connected and I would not have any problems... As I have now been reading from the Acronis forum, only one file would be created where three had first been done. I hope you see my delima. Bobdat, I have printed out your directions about doing the complete restore of my computer and then doing the backup. THIS has been the most favorable advice I have received in that it will restore my system to the 'out of the box' status. HOWEVER, I have one last question. After I have been told I have successfully created my backup, I then go to the left side of the menu selections and click on the bootable CD disk to help with the re-install. With the prior two failed attempts at backup (I think) is it necessary to creat another backup CD? Say I follow Bobdat's advice and so the whole Dell restore to like new... I then backup the newly restored setting. Do I need to create another CD? Just when you thought it was safe to read my messages without all the stupid thought process comming you, I throw another... I sincerely wish to Thank ALL who responded to my many lenghtly messages... You have ALL demonstrated the true meaning of what the 'Spirit of these Forums are all about. Myself and I'm sure MANY more would be lost without the forum responders great knowledge and in my case patience!!!.. Thanks to ALL and I hope you all have a Great Weekend.... art

18. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

No, you don't need to create a new rescue CD. You only need a new one if you update True Image to a new build.

19. jc4pc

jc4pc Registered Member

Hi
    javaman and to all you folks on this forum. I am new to acronis. i downloaded the trial 2 days ago(ti 9.0 2337 latest). i have new dell laptop(WIN XP PRO-SP1) and bought an extra 40gb hd 2.5" (40gb, as int drive w/ dell). got an usb enclosure,to do an image 1st(backup funct). then i can just use the drive from usb case and plug it directly into laptop..if problems. i know the dell has 3 part 1.c: 2.~80mb..and 3.14gb for restore/diag. i did b,u. and selected drive 0(int) on top menu(all 3 part.selected automaticaly..fine. and then drive 1 box(usb). did bu..then verified..checked ok. then made restore disk and booted into it and checked usb there ..all semed fine. just wondered how you or any others opinion to get to just 1 main bu..~12gb.instead of the three ?/

one thing i like about the 3 sep is I can make dvd bu's..probably take ~ 3/4 4.7gb disks(dvd+rw) since i have cd/dvd burner como in laptop..but I understand I need 3rd party packet soft..i have a nero in cd(I have to install on laptop)..dell..most manf... does'nt provide good software for NEW bought pcs(limited versions or cheap outdated programs..EVEN cd/dvd capabilities(sonic..my dvd..they supply)(THEY BUNDLE THIS SOFTWARE CHEAP AND USUALLY IT'S TRIAL ANYWAY..SO I DELETE AND BUY MY OWN APPLICATIONS..ok I usually always buy stand-alone software and install on my pc's(3) anyway..that way you can get the best 4 your app's.TO DO CD..DO i JUST NEED TO USE THE IN-CD TO FORMAT, THEN TI9, WILL RECOGNIZE THE DVD AND I CAN PERFORM FULL IMAGE OF DRIVE...IF ANYONE KNOWS OR ACRONIS SUPPORT..PLEASE HELP..(..AND WHAT ABOUT CDS..IS THE PROCEDURE DIFFERENT(HOW TO DO THIS..IF SOMEONE HAS THAT INFO TOO..THAT WOULD BE OK(BUT DVD,,LESS DISKS,,I LIKE THAT IDEA BEST)..SORRY FOR LONG DISSCUSSION,,BUT EVERYONE ON HERE SEEMS GREAT..AND HAVE BEEN BURNING MIDN OIL OVER LAST 3 DAYS READING.
    So..if any of you and even ti support can help..please..i think ti support does help on this forum ?? or do they have seperate contact..I really sure I will pay to get this in the next week..but want to get as much info..will trial period is valid(thats what it's for !!) thanks to all..hope to hear from anyone..and I will then be able to help others as well !!

20. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hello javaman5656 I am too very new to Acronis but during the past month I have received much help from the knowledgeable members here.

Regards BOEING.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  21. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello jc4pc,

I went through your post several times but I'm afraid this is all I can offer in terms of clarification:

- Yes, you can write the images direcly to DVDs if you have InCD installed. The details on how to perform that are in the FAQ section.

- Alternatively, you can go for the 2-step method for DVD, using any DVD burning software.

- To write the images to CDs, you need no third party burning software. TI will do that using it's embedded burning tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.