True Image Error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Kale, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kale

Kale Registered Member

When cloning a new 160Gb HDD from my master 160Gb HDD using True Image 10.0 Home I got an error message towards the end: Unable to read Disk 2 Sector 305549335 and then 3 options. Retry and Ignore didn't work but Ignore All enabled the completion of the cloning. Can anyone offer any explanation or foresee any problems. This HDD is now working. Thanks.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Since it is a read error I suspect there is a bad area on the source disk. Run chkdsk X: /r on ALL the partitions on the drive. Substitute the drive letter of the partition for X. A reboot for C will be necessary.

If that doesn't show anything, try the "new" disk.

3. Kale

Kale Registered Member

Thank you to seekforever for your reply. I am not knowlegeable enough to try your procedure. In any case the new drive has failed (Samsung). After using the new drive for about an hour I switched off the computer and then tried to restart. This failed and the new drive started to click about once a second. I then installed it as the slave and after the computer was on line, Windows shut down with the drive clicking as before. I can't try to reclone it as my computer won't work with this drive plugged in. One thing I did notice while this drive was working was that the slave drive F wasn't being recognised. Is this brand new drive defective?

4. seekforever

It sounds like it well may be defective. Did you get any diagnostic program with the drive? If not, go to the Samsung site and see it they have a diagnostic program. Manufacturer's usually have a diagnostic program to test their products.

PS. If you can install drives etc you certainly should be able to run chkdsk. Search for it in Windows help. Chkdsk is a very valuable tool.

5. Kale

Kale Registered Member

I have run chkdsk on my C drive with the suspect Samsung drive disconnected and no problems were found. How can I check the Samsung when it crashes Windows? What happens is that Windows starts up, the new Samsung HDD installed as the F drive starts to click and the screen goes blank with the computer still running. Nothing I do will get the screen back. Also, if I have to send the drive back (it is brand new), how can I wipe it clean if I can't get it to run? Many thanks for your help.

6. janebond

janebond Registered Member

Does windows load OK if you unplug the external HD when switch on?

7. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Clicking is definitely a sign of a bad drive - no need to do anymore tests on it. If it is new, take it back for an exchange.

8. Kale

Kale Registered Member

This drive has been cloned from my master, surely it is not safe to return it with all my information on it. How do I wipe it if I can't get it to work?

9. seekforever

There is no reliable method that wouldn't void your warranty if no program including diagnostic programs can access the drive.

While the chances may be very slim that somebody would actually take the trouble to read the platters after fixing the problem the chance still exists. I'm afraid you will have to balance the risk with the information that could be recovered.

I have never seen any policy from manufacturers on protecting information in cases such as this but I haven't looked for it for years. Where I used to work any drive the might have sensitive info on it was destroyed rather than returned for a warranty replacement.

10. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try a BartPE boot cd or a Linux Live CD and see if it will let you see the bad drive?

11. Kale

Kale Registered Member

Much appreciate you guys' information. Will keep you posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.