True Image Echo Workstation and True Image Echo Enterprise Server installation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AnTe_no1, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnTe_no1

AnTe_no1 Registered Member

I'm about to do a test installation of True Image Echo Workstation and True Image Echo Enterprise Server, and I have some questions. My setup is as follows:

Several laptops with Windows XP. On them I'm going to install True Image Echo Workstation (local version) and True Image Agent Workstation.

One server with Small Business Server 2003. On it I'm going to install True Image Echo Enterpris Server (local version) and True Image Agent Enterprise Server. Also, because all workstations are laptops and not always in the office, I would like to install True Image Management Console on this server.

One dedicated backup server with a large RAID 5 array, running Windows XP. Here I'm about to install True Image Echo Workstation (local version) and True Image Agent Workstation, along with Acronis Backup Server.

My questions are:

1. Where shall I install Acronis Group Server, on the server or the backup server?

2. Are Acronis Backup Server and Group Server the same for Echo Workstation and Enterprise Server?

3. When extracting the individual installation packages (.msi files) from the installation programs, it looks as the True Image Management Console isn't identical for Workstation and Enterprise Server. What is the difference and which version shall I use on the server?

4. I'm going to copy the backup files from the backup server to USB disks for offsite storage. Is it true that I will need the backup server running to make restores? Then what happens if something happens with the backup server? If I have a backup of the system drive, how shall I restore it without a backup server running?

I have already made some tests making a Bootable Rescue Media on the server. It failed booting up the server, it didn't find any harddisks. The server has Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology II on a LSI 1064e SAS expander. After having read this forum i have found that True Image Echo doesn't support Intels RAID, so I have to make a BartPE CD. My last question is:

5. Can I make one BartPE CD which will work on both the server and the laptops? Shall I use both the BartPE plugins for Workstation and Enterprise Server on this CD? And is there any chance that this CD will work with all the network adapters on the computers? All laptops have Intel network adapters, as well as the server, but not the same models.

Thanks,

Hans

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AnTe_no1,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate software

1) You can install it on your SBS2003 server or 'backup' server but it's recommended to use your 'backup' server for this purpose.

2) Yes. You do not need to instance multiple instances of it on your 'backup' server

3) You would need to use Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server Management Console on your SBS2003 server. You would be able to manage your Workstations using this console.

4) It's not recommended to copy or move backup files from Backup Server. You can encounter numerous issues if you will recreate Backup Server (for example in case of hardware failure) from the scratch. You will need exact same settings (read configuration file) and exact same user profiles to be able to put these backups back. You can choose to create an image of this backup server and store it off-site.

5) You will need to add the appropriate drivers to your BartPE CD. BartPE supports adding two types of drivers: storage drivers and network drivers. For instructions on how to add drivers please refer to this link. There is also an option to add storage drivers (for RAID or SCSI devices) during BartPE boot-up. (You need to press F6 and point to the diskette with the drivers). Common storage drivers are available at this link.

Please also note that according Acronis License Policy you should purchase the license for every computer there you're going to use bootable media, so you will need at least two bootable CDs - one for your server and second one for your workstations.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.