True Image boot manager (F11) & Pre-installed WinRE (F8)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by d.chatten, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

This is not a problem i have, but, i would like to know what would happen in certain situations.

Lets say i have an OEM computer that has WinRE pre-installed on a hidden partition, which is partition 1, i can press F8 during boot to access WinRE to repair Windows Vista, repairs such as repairing the "MBR" or a missing "winload.exe".

I then install the ATI boot manager onto C: drive, which is partition 2 (OS drive) so i can backup and restore my system using F11 to boot to the ATI recovery environment.

If i then use the F8 WinRE option to repair the "MBR" or a missing "winload.exe" would the ATI F11 option still be available and would it still work.

I hope all this make sense.

Thanks!

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

d.chatten:

The Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (ASRM) is installed to the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the disk; not to the C: partition.

If you were to repair the MBR with WinRE then it would replace the ASRM with the generic Vista MBR. However, you could re-activate the ASRM from the True Image application.

Doing the repair to fix a "Missing Winload.exe" problem only involves fixing Vista's Boot Configuration Database (BCD) in the C: partition. This repair would not touch the MBR and thus would not affect the ASRM.

Boy, it must be acronym city today; sorry...

3. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

@k0lo,

Thanks for the informative reply, at least i now know what i need to do if any of the above issues should occur.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.