True Image Blue screens in backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by crbaker, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crbaker

crbaker Registered Member

I bought True Image yesterday and have experienced 3 Windows XP Blue Screens since them. So far no successful operations completed yet. This is my extremely reliable GOLD system and I've never seen a blue screen on it. My hard disks are getting old so I wanted to image and replace them.

In the first operation I did a complete backup (with verify) to DVD of MyDocuments. The size spanned two disks. When the first volume was full it prompted for the second and started that operation. When that data was complete (I think) it prompted for the first volume. When the first volume was inserted it didn't accept it, when the second volume was reinserted it didn't accept it. Neither volume was accepted and I finally had to cancel. I looked at the files on both disks and they were there and appeared to be the correct size.

I then tried to mount the volume and inserted Volume 1. It told me to insert the last volume and when I inserted Volume 2 it blue screened. (UDFS.SYS).

I then did a full backup again (without verify, accept default options) and it successfully completed both disks. I did a verify of the backup, it successfully completed.

I then tried to restore 1 small directory to a new location on Drive D:. I inserted Volume 2, it apparently located the files promted to insert Volume 1. It operated for a few seconds and blue screened, (UDFS.SYS).

I tried it again. It blue screened again.

I did the same operation with the cheezy free backup that came with the DVD, it worked. I've created 50+ DVD's with EZ-CD Creator on this system, never a problem.

ANY IDEAS?

2. bottom

bottom Registered Member

hi

...did You / can You verify the images on the DVD ?
    (just to make sure the backup process was successful)

...maybe the EZ-CD Creator will interfere with TI ?
    both programs will probably make use of an udf driver to access the dvd
    (can You disable (not uninstall) EZ-CDC temporarily )

hope this helps

if not maybe a full + brutal uninstall
    and clean reinstall of TI could...

bottom

3. crbaker

crbaker Registered Member

hi

...did You / can You verify the images on the DVD ?
    (just to make sure the backup process was successful)

Yes, I did a verify. It finished and said the files were OK.

...maybe the EZ-CD Creator will interfere with TI ?
    both programs will probably make use of an udf driver to access the dvd
    (can You disable (not uninstall) EZ-CDC temporarily )

I wasn't using EZ-CD at the time or any time before using TI. I'm very reluctant to disable a product that works for a product that blue screens.

hope this helps

if not maybe a full + brutal uninstall
    and clean reinstall of TI could...

Six hours of troubleshooting and system reboots is leaving me with a sour taste. Not to mention 8 trashed DVD's.

4. bottom

bottom Registered Member

>I wasn't using EZ-CD at the time or any time before using TI. I'm very
    >reluctant to disable a product that works for a product that blue screens.

if EZ-CD works for you - ok
    but once You installed it, You are constantly "using" it !

EZ-CD was somehow famous for being rather nasty to other burn/cd tools
    e.g. WaveLab and Nero won't run properly when it was installed
    or not fully removed from the system

TI on the other hand won't mess up or change any
    burning- or other software installed on your system...

does at least image creation to hard disk work for You ?
    (direct DVD burning is a VERY new feature of TI
    it wasn't included/advertised with first builds of 9.0 !)

bottom

5. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

Why do you people keep trying to do image backups directly to a DVD? What are you thinking? Are you risk takers? Only burn to DVD’s for backups of your disk images for emergencies. :thumbd:

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hello crbaker,

As your prime objective is to replace your elderly hard disks I will outline a way you can do this that does not use DVDs, External hard drives or even blue screens. Moreover at no time are your systems or data put to any risk. I will assume that you have bought your new drives and that you computer is capable of having two hard disks mounted at the same time. My third assumption is that your new drives will be big enough for future needs. You will need to have a TI rescue CD to hand.
    1. Remove your number two drive and replace it a new drive. Format it so it is seen by Windows.
    2. Open TI and, still in Windows, create an image of the whole of your number one drive to your new drive. You can validate this image if you want but it is not mandatory.
    3. Remove your number one drive and put in your other replacement drive. There is no need to prepare other that set it as master.
    4. Boot from the rescue CD and restore your number one image to the new drive.

At this stage you will have both your old untouched drives safe to one side and your computer will be running from its new main drive.

Now proceed thus :-
    5. Take out your new number two drive and replace it with the old number two drive.
    6. Create a temporary Secure Zone on your new number one drive using all the spare space. If this is not big enough to take a normal compressed image of your old number two drive there is another way. Still in Windows create a whole disk image of the old drive into the secure zone. Validation optional.
    7. Remove the old drive and put in its replacement.
    8. Format the new number two drive and restore its image from the secure zone.

You now have your two drives replaced; with a secure zone that you no longer need on one drive and some unallocated space on the other one.

9. Using the manage secure zone wizard remove the secure zone on disk one. The wizard will ask you how you would like the space allocated to your existing partition/s.
    10.Creating and then removing a secure zone on the number two drive can be used to allocate the unused space in the same way as above.

That is it you are done. You never had both feet off the ground at the same time and if a wrong button was pressed you still had a fall back to rely on.
    I have not suggested that you use the clone disk procedure as I find it slower and it is easy to get into difficulties unless one is very carefull.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello crbaker,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that the issue with auto-validating backups saved to several DVDs is already known and will certainly be fixed in the future Acronis True Image builds\versions (see Acronis Support replies in this previous thread). I'm afraid that the exact time frame for the fix to be implemented is not decided yet. At the moment we recommend that you keep the box near the "Validate backup archive upon it's creation competition" option unchecked when saving backup to several DVD and validate the resulting backup separately using Validate Backup Archive tool accessible via the main program window.

Please also note that in order to validate\restore the backup archive spanned over several CDs\DVDs you should insert the last created CD\DVD first (disc that contains the last volume of the backup archive) and then follow the wizard's instructions.

Please be aware that in order to mount an image archive spanned over several CDs\DVDs you should copy all files from all discs to one folder on your hard drive and only after that start a mounting process using Acronis True Image embedded Mount Image tool.

Please also note that even if you do not have an ability to copy all files from all discs to one folder on your hard drive (e.g. there is no free space), you still can restore individual files and folders from the image archive spanned over a several CDs\DVDs using Recovery Wizard. In this case you should insert the last created CD\DVDs first (CD\DVD that contains the last volume of the image archive) and then follow the wizard's instructions.

Whatever the case, the attempt to mount backup archive spanned over several CDs\DVDs of course should not result in any system errors or BSOD as in your case.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3677.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem persists with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please do the following:

- Open Computer properties either by right clicking on My Computer icon and choosing Properties or by opening System properties in Control Panel;

- Go to Advanced tab;

- Press Startup and Recover Settings button;

- Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information box;

- Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons;

- Reproduce the system crash and collect the mini-dumps created.

Please also create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please create mini-dumps and Windows System Information as it is described above.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.