True Image and XIMETA NetDisk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by killerwhale65, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killerwhale65

killerwhale65 Registered Member

hi,

i just purchased a NetDisk from Ximeta. Works fine together with TI, however when booting using the TI rescue bootable disk, i cannot see the harddisk. Is there a way around this?

many thanks!

Matt

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Matt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Could you please describe how this diks is connected to your computer: via USB or LAN?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. killerwhale65

oops, sorry, i forgot: its via wired LAN connected to my router.

4. Acronis Support

Hello Matt,

I have never used a device of this kind so I need to get some more info from you. Am I right that your situation is like following:
    - a PC with Acronis True Image is connected to router;
    - NetDisk is connected to router as well but is not connected to you PC directly;
    - both connection are not wireless.
    - you are trying to restore the image of the disk to the PC mentioned above from the NetDisk but do not see the NetDisk.

Please try to plug in the NetDisk to your computer via USB and see whether Acronis Bootable CD "sees" the disk in this case.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. killerwhale65

that is all very correct.

I will try what you suggested and will let you know.

thanks already!

Matt

6. killerwhale65

ok, good afternoon!

i connected and installed the drive via USB to my PC. Works fine, is recognised perfectly.

Then i rebooted via the TI rescue disc and i was able to "see" the disk (connected via USB).

I hope this info helps you to find a solution for my problem. It needs to be connected to the router, since the drive is accessed by 2 computers (and since i have slow USB ;-) )

thanks again!

7. Acronis Support

Hello killerwhale65,

We haven't tested this device yet.

Could you please describe whehter the other computers are available when you boot from Acronis Bootable CD (providing you have shared folders there)? Also please let us know what protocol NetDisk uses and how can you see this disk on the computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. killerwhale65

hi,

when booting via the rescue CD, i can see other PC's also! But not the NetDisk.
    I know nothing about protocols so i cant help you with that.
    In windows i can access the drive like any other harddrive (it has letter F:\ assigned to it)

9. wayne_b

wayne_b Registered Member

killerwhale65,

XIMETA uses its own software 'NDAS Device Management' to be able to use the drive in a windows environment when attached to a Network. The drive requires a unique write key and Device I.D.

The drive will not work with TI as far as restoring using TI bootable CD, though if you install the drive using USB then it may work but not in a Network.

-wayne

10. killerwhale65

ok, i guess i will have to look for some other software then. Too bad, since TI is so great :(

11. Acronis Support

Hello killerwhale65,

I have contacted Acronis Development Team concerning this device. Acronis True Image wil certainly work with it if it is connected via USB and if it is created as a shared folder (after it is connected to another computer in the network). Currently we cannot guarantee that you will be able to access this disk when it is connected to the network directly.

However, under Windows you will be able to use it with Acronis True Image in any way you wish including direct network connection.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

12. wayne_b

wayne_b Registered Member

Any backup/restore software you use that uses a bootable CD would have to have XIMETA software coded into it, as of yet, I don't think there is any ;)

To use the Drive when attached to a network, you have to use 'NDAS Device Management' this software is specific to XIMETA NDAS drives. If you noticed, windows didn't even see the drive until 'NDAS Device Management' was installed also you will notice the router doesn't even see the drive.

-wayne

13. killerwhale65

hi,

the problem is, when for whatever reason my C gets messed up, and i cant start my PC anymore, i need to be able to boot from a CD and restore my image from the NetDisk. This seems not possible right now, since i do not see it.
    Indeed i can manage everything in windows fine, but suppose windows gets messed up, what then?

14. killerwhale65

I read in the manual from the drive that the CD comes with some backup software. Maybe this will work?
    But we are getting offtopic now and i dont think we should discuss this in a TI forum ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.