True Image and SATA Raid

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by silver0066, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I am considering a new computer with a (MSI RS480M2-IL) motherboard with support for dual channel SATA/Raid Controller that will supply 150 Mb/s and support Raid 0. I am considering using two WD Raptor 10K rpm 74 Gb drives using Raid 0 with 3 partitions: OS, Data, and Applications. The new computer would also contain an onboard SATA 300 Gb Maxtor for my backup drive for True Image which I plan to clone to an offsite 300 Gb USB drive for securtity. I am using XP Pro, SP2 and the new computer would have an AMD 64 FX55 processor with 2 Gigs of RAM.

After looking thru this forum, I am still confused as to whether True Image v8, Build 786 will support this Raid configuration. I love TrueImage and it has saved me several times over the past few years with it's ability to do barebones restores on my current Dell laptop.

I would really like to get the RAID 0 setup shown above, but not without some way to get a reliable backup that will restore properly.

I am afraid to purchase the system before I know if TrueImage will restore the OS, Data and Applications to the Raptor Raid configuration if required.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bill

2. silver0066

I haven't had a response, so I am trying again.

I have changed the system I am going to buy to an "ASUS 8AN-SLI Deluxe motherboard with AMD 64 55fx cpu with a NVIDIA nForce®4 SLI chipset with on board Hard Drive Support: 4 x SATA 3Gb/s, 2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33, NVRAID : RAID0, RAID1, RAID 0+1 and JBOD span cross SATA and PATA, 4 x Serial ATA with RAID0, 1, 0+1, 5 (RAID 5 software patch available, no WHQL)."

I would like to do a Raid 0 striped set on 2 Raptors with 3 partitions: Operating System [XPPro-SP2], Data and Applications. I would have an additional large SATA drive to backup up my TrueImage images to.

Will TrueImage, latest version, backup and do a barebones restore to these drives if needed? I would like to make sure I am able to backup before I purchase the system.

Any help would be much appreciated. I will be happy to provide any additional information that anyone would need to answer my question.

-Thanks in advance,

Bill

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, silver0066

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis forums.

I am sure the NVIDIA nForce4 SilicomIamage Chipset Raid Controller is not yet supported by Ti.

Best to email Ti support to be sure.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I agree with TheQuest. Unless nVidia have done an about face over the non release of Linux open source device drivers then I doubt if you'll succeed in restoring the RAID array from the "Full" version of the boot rescue CD. You might have better luck with the "Safe" version boot CD but it would very much depend on the motherboard's specific BIOS routines.

Regards

5. This is an Acronis problem, not an NVIDIA problem. I don't understand how TrueImage's failure to support certain RAID controllers becomes the fault of the manufacturer of those controllers. Wasn't it Acronis' idea to use the Linux Kernal in their software? Alas, there are plenty of people in this forum willing to apologize for Acronis' lack of RAID support. Go figure...

snipped blatant advertising - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2005
  6. silver0066

My machine will be shipped next week and I will give it a try. <snip>

Bill

edited to remove all traces of advertising from this thread - Detox

7. bosten

bosten Guest

I wrote to Acronis about using True Image with Raid 0 and they said it would depend on the Raid controller, try it with the trial.

I tried, and it works fine. I have restored my system many times without a single problem.
    Intel DBZ M/board with Intel RAID
    2x SATA Barracuda 180gb drives.

I am not sure this is the right forum though

Hope this helps!

8. <snip>

removing off-topic advertising - Detox

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform that current version of Acronis True Image doesn't support NVidia RAID configuration when you boot from Acronis Bootable CD. It is due to the lack of open source drivers for this chipset.

However our Development Team is working on this problem. We expect the support of NVidia RAID to be implemented in future versions. Also please note that if you use the drives not in RAID mode Acronis True Image will work with them properly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. Menorcaman

Hello Spitting Image

As far as I'm aware, I've never apologized for Acronis' lack of anything. I merely attempt to provide advice and assistance to current/prospective users of True Image.

In case you haven't noticed, this forum comes under the main heading of "Official Acronis Support Forum". Steering other users towards alternative imaging products hardly counts as constructive support for True Image. In fact, a quick perusal of your previous posts to this forum indicates a heavy dose of negativity on your part. Go figure....

Regards

snipped another member's advertising from the quote in this post - Detox

11. silver0066

I thought the reason for this group was "people helping people". Are you implying that if Acronis refuses to implement drivers for popular cards, that it should be kept a secret?

What harm does it do to help another member by mentioning a product that works on hardware that TrueImage does not work on? Acronis would not get that business anyway, unless they want to rip off some unsuspecting buyers who may not be aware of this group.

I really like TrueImage and have been using it for years and it has saved my behind many times. It is heads over heels better than Norton Ghost. I am upgrading my computer and I am really disappointed that Acronis has not updated the drivers. The Asus motherboard is one of the most popular in the industry, Raid Arrays are becoming more prevelant everyday and Acronis should do something about supporting NVIDIA Raid. Acronis has the best imaging program on the market, but if it won't do a barebone restore on my ASUS 8AN-SLI Deluxe motherboard with AMD 64 55fx cpu with a NVIDIA nForce®4 SLI chipset, then what good is it to me?

Thank you Spitting Image for your kind referral, and as soon as Acronis supports this hardware, I will be back, ie, if I don't find the <snip> product better.

I expect to get my new computer next week with 2 Raptors running the system under Raid 0. I will report my findings after testing the programs under that system.

Bill

cleaning up the advertisements in this thread - Detox

12. TheQuest

Hi, silver0066 and Spitting Image

I think there is a mix up here. [misunderstood]

It is not so much the Acronis Ti will not work with Nvida nForce4.

But the SilicomIamage Chipset Raid Controller for the nForce4 MB, which they SI have not made open source.

Take Care,

13. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

These problems should become a thing of the past when the BartPE plug-in is ready. :D

14. TheQuest

Hi, Spitting Image

That is incorrect.

I have an Abit Nvidia nForce2 Chipset MB, [SilicomImage Chipset Sata Raid Controller 3112x86 1.0.0.50] in Raid0, and Ti will create Images and restore them from it.

It is Not the Nvidia nForce Chipset that is the problem.

It is the SilicomImage Chipset Raid Controller, for the Nvidia nForce[3&4] Chipset MB, that is the problem.

Take Care,

15. TheQuest

Hi, Spitting Image

Thank you for making that clear:- NVRAID. :D

What is your raid controller? [please]

But I see so many posts, just saying Nvidia NForce[3&4].

The Abit MB with those chipsets have Sil Raid Controllers as do other MB, so I read as wrote [If you understand me?] and answered the way I saw things. :oops:

I would not be best pleased either, if that happen to me.

That would be Very helpful if they did.

But that there are Many many bit of Hardware already, and there is more all the time.

So I agree it would be a good Idea, but you [I hope] know as well as me it would be neigh impossile to keep a Data base upto date.

But More should be done, as you say.

Here wishing it soon.

Take Care,

PS:- Please don't post links to other Imaging sites, the Mods will snip them as this is after all an Acronis Forum.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  16. Menorcaman

Hopefully other users will use your pain as a valuable lesson. I ran True Image in parallel with my previous imaging application (Powerquest Drive Image 2000) for about 4 weeks. Once satisfied that TI was working correctly, DI 2000 was removed from my system for good. In addition, it's essential to archive a known "good" version/build of TI (both the installation file and a copy of the bootable rescue CD). That way, if an upgrade or update turns out to be incompatible with your system, you can always fall back to the previous version.

I've had my fair share of problems with TI during its journey from V6 through V7 to V8 Build 786 but so far, using the precautions above, have not permanently lost a single byte of data.

Regards

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

OK lads that was a heckuva lot of cleaning for me. This forum is hosted at Wilders but it is the Acronis support forum. There will be no advertising here. In fact, advertising/spamming is not allowed anywhere at Wilders. Let's stay on topic - which is Acronis issues. Other imaging products may - as always - be discussed in the software & services section of Wilders. However, it should be kept in mind that spamming and advertising are not allowed there either.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.