True Image and New Motherboard

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by knowbodynow, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knowbodynow

knowbodynow Registered Member

Hello, I'm currently using True Image (home) 9. I'm considering upgrading my computer by getting a new motherboard and processor or. possibly, by getting a new computer. I want to avoid reinstalling the operating system and programs. I have several questions and I hope I can get some answers in this forum. Here goes:

1. Is it possible to simply connect my had drive containing the partition with the operating system as is or will I need to use a disk image? With my set up I have the operating system on C:\ drive and the swap file on d:\drive. Data is on several other partitions on two different physical ide hard drives. An image of my system includes partitions c and d together.

2. If I need to use a disk image is True Image home sufficient or do I need something else such as True Image Workstation combined with Universal Restore?

3. If I need to upgrade to True Image Workstation and use Universal Restore does that mean my old system backups (images) will become useless?

4. I also have images of partitions containing data. Will they be accessible using True Image Workstation or will I need to start making images completely from scratch.

I hope my explanation and questions make sense.

Thanks for reading,

CaH

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

when one gets a different mobo, it is often necessary to re-install the OS.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Some of the fundamental hardware drivers upon which the operating system and some of the programs rely for communicating with/through the mobo will need to be diff if you cahnge the mobo. It's like changing the engine in your care and expecting allthe motor mounts, drive shaft, etc. to still line up.

IF you install the very same model of mobo, with the same chipsets, etc, it shouldn't be an issue.

sh

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Irrespective of whether you obtain the exact same make/model of motherboard, there is the little matter of Windows Activation to consider. If you have an OEM version of Windows rather than the retail version then reactivation isn't possible.

Regards

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I wonder if one could reinstall windows and then recover the imageo_O
    (saving some work)

6. knowbodynow

Thanks for the replies, I have a retail version of Windows Pro, but if it is on the image why would I need to reactivate it? Can anyone answer my questions about True Image Workstation and Universal restore. Would they solve issues with switching the motherboard?

CaH

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello knowbodynow,

Every time Windows XP boots up it checks to see what hardware it's installed on. If there have been too many changes in configuration, Windows XP will throw a wobbly.

Universal Restore will allow you to add any new device drivers required by the new motherboard but will not overcome the need for Windows Product Activation. However, as you have a full retail version of the OS, reactivation should be a fairly straightforward procedure.

If you are interested, have a read of this article titled <How Microsoft Windows XP Product Activation (WPA) Works> (there is a section that specifically mentions a change of motherboard).

Regards

8. mustang

mustang Developer

I recommend you upgrade to True Image Workstation and get the Universal Restore add on. The Workstation version will work with all your current images.

I just upgraded my motherboard, CPU, memory and video card two weeks ago. Universal restore handled it well. Just make sure you see the screen to use Universal Restore or not during the restore process. This screen has not been showing up on some hardware.

Of course you will need to reactivate Windows after the restore.

9. knowbodynow

Thanks for the link, Menorcaman, it makse for interesting reading. Thanks for the info, mustang. If I can use my old images with the Workstation version then that seems the best way to go.

Cheers,

CaH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.