True Image 9 and DVD ??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steve M, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve M

Steve M Registered Member

Hi,

I realize now that Acronis works fine when burning to disk. But how does it work with DVD?

I tried burning directly to DVD (which it claims to do) but had limited success. The backup said it would take 7 days (I have 25 GB in total)
    although I have a new machine.

Can that work somehow?

Secondly, I tried burning to disk in 2GB segments. That worked and I am trying to use Nero to back these 2GB segments off to DVD (2 per DVD).
    Will that restore as I would want?

I am concerned that if my system fails (which it did a week after I bought it) that I can restore from my Acronis boot CD and DVDs. But will using Nero to do a data backup work?

Is there a better way?

I would sure appreciate the advise as I hope to become a steady Acronis user and will sleep better knowing my system is backed up and protected.

Steve Millman
    Steve [ at ] millman.biz

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2006
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

To write directly to DVD you need packet-writing software installed such as Nero's InCD.

Your method of writing the image files to HD and then burning to DVD is referred to as the "2-step method". You can gain a degree of extra confidence by enabling Nero's Verify after writing or whatever it is called to ensure the DVD is good. You can also use TI's Check Archive on the DVD as well even though you (should have) checked them on HD after creation.

IMO, the 2-step method is by far the best method for DVDs. Restoring from an optical disk is slow compared to a HD. I leave my images on a second HD, space permitting, and burn (Nero) the occasional one to DVD for increased safety and long-term archiving. Even if you don't have a second HD, having the image on the same HD, although not ideal in terms of safety, makes backingup and restoring very fast for those times you want to load a trial program or other testing.

You can split your images around 1.4GB for better use of your DVD disk (3 files).

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Or as some prefer, 1492mb chunks ... 1492 because that's the year that some guy discovered something significant, (therefore easy to remember) - not sure what, as I was not around. :D

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Steve M,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that as it is mentioned at Acronis True Image 9.0 System Requirements page and this Acronis True Image 9.0 FAQ article #10 the current version of Acronis True Image doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software. The ability to write images to DVD directly will be implemented in the future builds\versions of a particular product, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

You can find more information on how to write your images to DVD in this FAQ article #27.

In case you have the appropriate UDF packet DVD writing software installed and all of your DVDs are properly formatted according to the above mentioned FAQ article, but you still can not write your images to DVD, please collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image 9.0 log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.