True Image 8.0 ????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by techdev, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jbmoar

Jbmoar Registered Member

I Have had problems using my user name and password Also to purchase the upgrade, I Found Out that their online store will only accept orders from non-free e-mail accounts, meaning they will not accept orders from hotmail or yahoo, you can order the upgrade using your regular e-mail and register the prgogram using any e-mail, worker for me.

2. foghorn

foghorn Registered Member

On the topic of 'what are the differences between v7 & v8' I think the Acronis marketeers are sailing close to the wind on the 'Manage your PC performance by changing the disk imaging process priority' feature.

This functionality is available to Windows NT based OSs already via task manager.

The 'Reduce your disk backup time and storage by excluding paging and hibernate files from the disk backup image' is actually a bug fix because without doing this their incremental scheme was flawed in v7.

So the real added value features in V8 which were not in V7 are :

'Verify disk backup image before a restore'
    'Check the file system after a restore'

Both very useful features, but does this warrant a major version increment?

3. 666

666 Guest

Now the good news: Anton promised that everyone who got in trouble with Win XP SP2 will get an SP2-compatible version of TI for free.

So here you go: shoot a mail to Acronis that goes like 'since I installed SP2 my copy of TI5 stoped working' and TI8 will be yours for free.

;)

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I haven't seen where Anton promised this. I did see him state the people with ATI 7 and SP2 who had troubles would get an upgrade, but I read anothing about ATI 4,5, or 6.

5. thbier

thbier Guest

Hi All,

I would like to know how your first experiences with TI 8.0 have been.
    I haven´t used any image software yet, but I want to gest some now, but I am wondering which I should buy.
    Most important feature of the software should be the ability of booting the image directly from DVD. I have no floppy drive, so any sw which needs floppys is helpless for me. As far as I have found by now booting from DVD was not possible or didn't work at TI 7.0 Does work with TI 8.0?
    Does anybody have any experiences with ghost 9.0?

Please help me.

Thx

6. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Booting from the image CD isn't any more possible with ATI8 than it was in 7 or 6. It's totally possible, but you have to make the disc bootable yourself.

7. fphall

fphall Registered Member

You know, I think that Acronis just gave the competition a great big football to kick around. I can see it now... "unlike our competitors imaging software we offer free upgrades for longer than 30 days". Then again maybe Acronis is trying to start a new trend. ;-) All I know is that I'm not about to pay them twice in the same year, and I probably won't upgrade until it works flawlessly with DVD's.

Pete

8. 'G'

'G' Registered Member

Well that is a fair and diplomatic reply, so well done Aton.

See my post and start getting your free updates.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45254

To paraphrase Aton, the upgrade was not necessary and could have been incorporated in to V7. It makes Acronis look incompetent and greedy. The very reason I left the Symantec camp.

I would like to here replies from my thread of any success in getting a free upgrade to V8. If the upgrade to V7 to V8 is minor, intimated by Anton, irrespective of problems or not with V7 a TI V8 free upgrade should be given mandatory to all V7 users.

Acronis lose money, but if they carry on in this manner, they will lose a great deal more. I will not tolerate this customer abuse. Their credibility has been seriously undermined, and they did it without any outside help – self-inflicted.

It is becoming increasing more expensive to keep up with new software development and current upgrade purchasing.

I typically seek out software developers who play fair. That is, you pay the initial fee and all upgrade are lifetime free. Runtime.org who make the excellent recovery programs does it, as does Ace Utilities, Superwin and ElcomSoft to name but a few.

These developers get my help, money, and recommendation without reservation. This is the policy I prefer and I ask this before purchasing any software. Otherwise, I cannot afford to upgrade this and upgrade that – especially when they are minor payable upgrades.

The main topics are the problems users are having with Acronis software at the moment, or their complete disillusionment as the upgrade to V7 to V8 being a short time span, not free upgrade, and unusable.

Acronis do the right thing, right off any monies you were expecting from V8, work hard on getting V8 working for the majority and not the minority and prepare for V9 this time next year.

If you do I will stick with you, if you do not I will not.

G

9. EricTheRed

EricTheRed Guest

I believe that Acronis will "get smart" about this sort of thing, now that they have competition: http://ei.drive-backup.com/

They will likely:
    1) Improve the feature-set
    2) Improve their product support for recently introduced products (like Paragon does
    3) Improve their upgrade policy
    or
    4) Lose customers rather quickly...

Hope it's not #4.

I got the "upgrade" from 7, and I have to say that this really is a . (dot) release, not a version change. Let's see what they do over the product lifecycle of V8. This will determine my future course of action.

10. Thomas USA

Thomas USA Guest

Yes, 8.? is out - but I am pretty sure that they will fix the bugs in version 7 that was sold until recently. I doubt that they want to deal with the BBB because of sales promises that are not kept... for example the ability to mount backups to CDs without copying everything to a hard disk. The promise to fix that "shortly" was luckily sent in a written statemnet from them.

I do not believe that they will destroy the pretty good reputation of their product by lying to their customers and not fixing the bugs that they are aware about.

Any different opinions?

11. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Oh yeah?

I have not lost faith in Acronis, but I have at least temporarily stopped recommending TrueImage to others. When/if things settle back down again, I'll have no problem recommending it again.

12. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Right on target, as usual!!! I'm with you.

13. Thomas USA

Thomas USA Guest

I was just kidding. I am pissed as hell about their support "policies" and even though the version 7 works pretty good for me, I think it is ridiculous how they think they can treat their customers.

14. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

WOW !!!! :cool:

I'm new to TI. After having been a Ghost die hard for so long I was a bit old fashioned in thinking that only an image tool that runs in RAM mode with no other OS or apps loaded could produce clean robust results. How wrong I was.

Being able to create and restore images whilst still running windows (even creating an image of the current system drive) is fantastic, especially the speed. I will definitely create more frequent back-ups now that I am using this tool.

Obviously, I will wait to trial Ghost v9 when it's available and then decide which to go for. If do end up I sticking with TI then I will have got away from using Symantec products totally !! (having recently ditched NAV2004). :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.