True Image 2009 and Defrag

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 62cwil, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 62cwil

62cwil Registered Member

I read somewhere either on this forum or on the Acronis something about after doing a defrag you should either re run updates but not sure. After doing a defrag do I need to do anything?

2. lesterf1020

lesterf1020 Registered Member

No. you don't need to do anything.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Perhaps you read that, since ATI is a sector based backup program, after you defrag, an incremental of differential backup with ATI will want to back up any sectors that have "moved" or changed their content in any way, REGARDLESS of whether or not any of the actual file contents have changed?

4. WebMaximus

WebMaximus Registered Member

Is there any chance Acronis will find a way to work around this so True Image isn't "fooled" by defrag programs?

I'm using Diskeeper which continuously keeps my hard disks in good shape when it comes to fragmentation so regardless how good True Image seems to be I don't want to disable Diskepper for this reason.

//Richard

5. crofttk

I think you're talking about turning an apple into an orange, or asking a leopard to change its spots, whichever analogy you prefer.:D Sector imaging is intended to enable you to take an exact image of a disk's contents, regardless of operating system or even file system.

One thing I hear ALOT of is one should think real hard about how often they really need to defrag - I don't get into the debate because I only do full images and use another backup program for file based incremental backups across my network.

A little bit of fragmentation may not be as bad as some think or as some would lead you to believe.

6. WebMaximus

I understand it would be hard since as you clearly say the whole thing with this kind of image backups is to look at every sector of the disk to create the image. Guess it's just too much to ask for...;-)

As for the need of defragging I agree you might consider how often you really need that, reason it's very important in my case is I'm a heavy MS Flight Simulator user which has TONS of files and data and hits your hardware from a performance point of view very hard and for that reason every little thing you can do (like having a 100% defragged drive) all the time is a good thing.

Thanks anyway!

Thanks anyway!

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Even with Flight Simulator, you are very unlikely to see any observable change in program performance unless the hdisk is incredibly fragged befroe youy defrag. And even then, the few milliseconds saved will still be less than many other factors, including player reaction time, etc.

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If possible, might consider setting FS up to use a separate partition for its work files and then it could be defragged at will.

9. WebMaximus

Having FS use a separate partition is actually a good idea I know many who do so and maybe I will go that path as well sometime but right now when I already have FS installed and configured I'm not that tempted to do a complete reinstall

10. seekforever

I'm speculating but usually programs that will permit a change in work area allow you to do it after the program is installed - typically under something like program options, program settings or whatever. It does not change anything as far as the installed program/files go since they are very rarely, if ever, modified.

11. WebMaximus

I don't know of any easy way to change the FS installation location once it has already been installed but I will ask the question in one of the FS forums. At least I'm quite sure there isn't any "built-in" feature in FS to move it to another location and it's not only FS but also all add-ons for FS and there I'm even more sure there isn't such kind of functionality built-in.

Thanks anyway for your interest in my question!

Bought True Image Home 2009 yesterday and have just installed it and had a quick look and seems to be a great piece of software so far! Next thing I will try now is to test it can restore my computer since I read many people have had problems with their disk drivers - I'm using the Intel ICHR9 RAID controller built-in on my ASUS motherboard.

12. seekforever

You are correct concerning the installation files but I wasn't thinking of moving the installation files just providing a special place for the files it creates/deletes/modifies when it is running. The installation files should never change or move unless an update or upgrade is applied.

13. crofttk

Same here, and if you can't do it directly in menus and you have the nerve, you can look for an .ini file in the FS program folder(s) or in one of it's Application Data folders (all users or your own, either the directly visible one or one under Local Settings) to see if there's a line you can modify BUT before going that far, you may well be better off checking with other users first.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Incremental/differential backup archives save all changes that have been made since the latest incremental/differential or full image was created. Process of files defragmentation on your hard drive is considered as changes being taken. It will result in creation of large in size incremental/differential backup.

As workaround you can perform defragmentation manually after incremental/differential backup archives are created.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

15. WebMaximus

Hi Dmitry and thanks for your reply, I realize there is a problem both having the cake and eat it sort of speak.

Another question for you is it seems TI 2009 has a problem under some circumstances keeping track of what next file name should be for incremental backups after a consolidation but I've also seen this problem after doing a restore - is this a known problem to you and if so are you looking into it for a future patch?

Best regards,

Richard

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello WebMaximus,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Can you please download the latest build of Acronis True Image Home 2009 (9709) from your account (My Account -> Registered Products) and test it first. If the issue persists contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat describe the issue in details and provide several latest log files:

- Start Acronis True Image;
    - Select Tools -> Show log;
    - Choose the log entry which contains errors;
    - Click on the diskette icon, choose the location (folder) and save there;
    - Send us the log.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

17. WebMaximus

Thanks Dmitry, I'll try that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.