True Image 11 - Cannot restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by beatnut88, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatnut88

beatnut88 Registered Member

I have backed up using system state option to a local hard drive. I tried to do a test restore botting from the acronis Rescue CD I created - and Acronis refused saying you cannot restore from a removable drive. This would seem a little ridiculous - first it is a local drive anyway (SATA) - and how useful is a backup system that won't restore from removable media?
    XP SP3
    Any help appreciated.
    Neil.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

When you say the local drive is this the external drive or the internal drive?

Which version of TI 11 are you using and was the rescue CD made with that version?

I haven't seen that error message before, does the rescue CD actually boot into the TI GUI and is this where you get the error message.

What OS is on the target drive (if any) how is it partitioned, and is your computer a brand name and or a laptop?

Is your external drive connected via a USB, Firewire or NAS connection?

Colin

3. beatnut88

Thanks. The local drive is an internal SATA drive. Version is 8.0.27. The CD boots fine and I can browse to the tib file and select same. that is when the message comes up saying Acronis cannot load an image from an external drive. I don't think the target is really the issue as at that point I hadn't even been given the option of selecting it. However, it is a regular SATA drive with 1 NTFS partition. XP SP3 is the source and target. at this stage I do not want to restore it. I just need to know I can - and at this juncture I know I can't! There is no external drive involved - it's just that Acronis thinks it is extenal. That said, I really need to be able to restore form an external drive - USB or eSATA.
    Doesn't inspire confidence.

Neil

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

TI 8 will be the problem, it won't understand Sata drives especially in the Linux rescue environment.

I suggest downloading the trial version of 11, and see if that solves the problem.

Colin

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Isn't something a bit strange? Sounds like he is using a newer version of TI than V8 if he did a System State Backup?

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

He says he is using trial version 11 and could his 8.0.27 be his build number?

Perhaps he could post an attachment picture of his Windows Disk Management display so we could see what type drives are listed.

I don't use the system state feature because I don't see if offering any benefits. A full disk backup will allow you to recover your system to either an old or new drive but a system state has no recovery features when going to a new drive.

7. beatnut88

8.0.2.7 is the build no. I am using Version 11. My intention is to use System State where Windows gets corrupted but the rest of the disk is OK. Is this not a good idea? Either way the error message is going to be the same. Disk info below

Neil

Drive C:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed No
    File System NTFS
    Size 149.04 GB (160,031,014,912 bytes)
    Free Space 110.65 GB (118,809,919,488 bytes)
    Volume Name DruidRoot
    Volume Serial Number 8C563FEE

Drive D:
    Compressed No
    File System NTFS
    Size 19.53 GB (20,974,428,160 bytes)
    Free Space 5.61 GB (6,021,091,328 bytes)
    Volume Name 20GB
    Volume Serial Number 04F217DD

Drive E:
    Compressed No
    File System NTFS
    Size 166.77 GB (179,072,536,576 bytes)
    Free Space 10.61 GB (11,394,920,448 bytes)
    Volume Name SATA
    Volume Serial Number A5D6BD29

Drive F:
    Compressed No
    File System NTFS
    Size 108.36 GB (116,346,552,320 bytes)
    Free Space 22.70 GB (24,378,007,552 bytes)
    Volume Name 120GB
    Volume Serial Number 445B8EF9

Drive G:
    Compressed No
    File System FAT32
    Size 3.41 GB (3,662,344,192 bytes)
    Free Space 1.43 GB (1,538,963,456 bytes)
    Volume Name FAT32
    Volume Serial Number 3E907D67

Drive H:
    Description CD-ROM Disc

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

This type backup will not recover your system if your disk fails. This type backup is no better than Windows System Restore. Protect yourself. Do a disk option backup where all partitions are backed up. A disk type backup will allow you to recover to a new disk if needed or perform single partition restores. A system state backup is too limiting and in my opinion, a waste of time. It's your choice but I'm trying to provide you some security if the drive goes haywire due to a virus or failure.

Your posting of disk information does not show which partitions below to which disk nor whether you have any recovery partitions. A Windows Disk Management picture is worth a thousand words.

Use your volume names for identification. When booted from the Rescue CD, the drive letters will probably be different than what is listed in Windows.

9. beatnut88

Well, on paper it looks better than System Restore as when I backed it up it backed up the whole Windows directory - so that is better than what windows does. Either way it is moot point if Acronis will not restore anything anyway!
    The image of disk manager is attached.
    Neil

Attached Files:

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Interesting, XP hasn't marked any of the partitions as bootable.

Do you use a 3rd party boot manager or boot via a network? I don't see why the rescue CD should have a problem whether the drive is marked bootable or not, as I would think it grabs as much info from the BIOS in deciding what drivers to load.

As far as you know, TI is happy to clone and restore from within Windows.

From an academic point of view it would be interesting to see if a BartPE CD has the same problem.

Have you installed the BartPE part of TI, it is a bit of a bother making another disk, but it might be worthwhile in the end. Even better if a VistaPE (about the only thing I really like about Vista) was made.

11. beatnut88

Bog standard XP install. I have Bart PE separately and it boots. Problem isn't the booting bit. the PC will boot from the TI CD no problem and TI sees all the drives fine. It just says that TI will not restore from an an external drive - even tho the drive the TIB file is on is internal. Or should I say infernal?
    Neil

12. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Yes, I'm just wondering though, as the image is on an internal one, if the TI Linux environment is having a problem because none of the drives are marked bootable - again I don't see why this should be the problem, but if a Bart CD has no problem seeing the drives and reading the image, then we know it is more likely a Linux problem.

If you copy the image to an external drive, does TI still have the problem?

The fact it wobbles on about an external drive when you actually have an internal is either TI having a misrouted error message function or it really is having a problem reading your drives.

Perhaps downloading the trial version of DiskDirector 10 might help in that, the disk signatures could be looked at and compared with a working system.

Colin

13. beatnut88

mmm...I don't understand the point about Linux. as this is a windows system what has Linux got do with it?

Neil

14. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The Acronis rescue CD uses Linux as its' OS.

15. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Have you tried using a later build of ATI11? Builds of ATI11 have had various probs recognizing diff hardware, especially some SATAs and RAIDS, etc. YOu;d probalby have better luck with build 8052 or 8101. Unfortunately, with a trial version you aren't liekly to get TEch Suport to send you diff iso files for the diff bootCD versions.

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello beatnut88,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that the message you receive actually means that the System State type backup cannot be restored using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. It can only be restored within Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.