True Image 10 won't create recovery cd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by etroy, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etroy

etroy Registered Member

I just downloaded the TrueImage 10 package and tried to create a recovery disk. Whenever I try, on my Dell Notebook, I get the message "Burning the bootable cd-r/cd-rw", but over the top of that I get the message "Error burning the bootable cd-r/cd-rw". Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? I tried it on a different computer, and it does create a cd-rom without any problem. The only cdrom that I can create on the Dell is an "iso" cd-rom, and it does nothing when put into the cd-rom and the computer is booted. So, the iso is obviously not a bootable disk.

Also, if I create a bootable disk on one computer, is it usable on another? If it is, then I could use the bootable cd-rom that I created on the AMD computer to boot (and repair, if necessary) the Intel based Dell notebook. But, I suspect the bootable disk is specific to the computer on which it was created.

2. dld

dld Registered Member

Use Alex Feinman's ISO recorder to burn the ISO image:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

The Rescue CD is usable on another computer, mindful of the EULA agreement.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The ATI Recovery CD is independent of the hardware it is created on. Every Recovery CD is identical for a given build of ATI, so make the CD on one machine and use it on the one that won't make one.

Be sure to test the Recovery CD to be sure that all drives are visible and that images can be verified.

4. data7

data7 Registered Member

I assume a good way to test this Recovery CD is to disconnect the HDD and then boot the machine, or go into the CMOS setup and change the boot sequence to look at the CD drive first.

Regards

5. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I wouldn't get into the habit of disconnecting/reconnecting devices to change the boot order. Eventually this will lead to hardware problems/worn connectors etc. Not only that, unless your CD is included in the boot order, it still wont boot anyway, regardless of whether you have a disk connected or not.

You have two options.
    1) during the boot up (and depending on the BIOS) it is possible to press a function key to select the device to boot from on that boot up.

2) Change the boot order in the BIOS. Note that some BIOSes will allow you to put the CD first and will simply ignore it if there is no CD in the drive, and then move onto the second, configured as HDD. This is quite a nice way of doing it as you never have to change any boot BIOS settings after configuring it, and allows you to boot from CD simply by putting a boot disk in the drive. Note that when you don't want to boot from the CD drive, it does incurr a slight pause whilst it checks the drive for a disk.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.