True Image 10 still don't do 1:1 verify/backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 1to1, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1to1

1to1 Registered Member

I had this issue a long time ago back when TI 5/6/7 was around, and it seems it *STILL* isn't fixed (or should I say implemented?)

The issue is that when you select 'verify', that option does NOT verify the contents on the HD versus the contents in the .tib file.

It still only checks to see if the .tib file is OK. Think of it as saying that the 'package' is ok, but the data in the package may not be OK.

What is the point of having backup software that can't do a simple 1:1 verify of the data? I could care less if the .tib file is OK, but the data IN the .tib file isn't.

This just makes me o_O :gack: :'(

I can verify this by creating a backup, then change a few things on the HD, and then do a verify.

If I do the same thing with ghost, it will say the data is different.

Will this ever get fixed/implemented?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

While it is hard to argue against directly comparing the archive with the source it isn't possible with imaging on an active Windows system. The source disk is continuously changing.

It could be done from the rescue CD version since the HD is static.

It is difficult to say exactly how much of an issue this really is without knowing more about how TI works internally and what are the statistics on failure because of improper reading of the disk data. A way to minimize this problem is to run chkdsk before creating an archive. Note that the PC is continuously used with the same degree of HD read checking all the time.

The TI method does allow you to achieve some level of confidence on the integrity of the backup at any time in the future and on any machine.

3. 1to1

1to1 Registered Member

While that may be true for system partitions, that isn't true for data partitions. (For active system)

Sorry I didn't clarify, I mean to do the verification while system was NOT running windows. The only thing that would have total access to the system would be True Image via running the rescue disk/CD as you say.

It should be pretty easy to add this kind of check for extra protection, instead of dumping the data out to another partition/HD, then using another program to do a 1:1 compare.

Thanks for your reply.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi 1to1.

I guess one of the big differentiators between TI and other backup software (particularly in those early days) is that it can successfully carry out "live" imaging whilst running under Windows. This capability is extremely important to commercial enterprises, who do not reboot their main servers lightly!!

Even if Acronis modified the Linux based rescue environment to carry out a 1:1 verification whilst creating a backup, it would still need to also calculate the existing checksums to embed into the image. How else would it know whether the image had somehow become corrupted between its creation and any subsequent restore? This is even more relevant when it comes to incremental and differential images.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.