True Image 10 Boot Disk creation problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AVEE8ER, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVEE8ER

AVEE8ER Registered Member

I just purchased Acronis True Image Home v10.0 (build 4,871), I have the following equipment:

Intel D950 3.4 ghz P4 Dual Core processor
    2 gb DDR2 PC2 6400 ram
    WD Raptor 10,000 rpm SATA drive
    Sony DWQ120AB2 DVD +/- burner, CD burner
    CD media is Sony CD-R Supremas 700 mb
    Windows XP Pro SP2

Problems: I havn't found much yet that works as advertised, the first problem I would like to resolve is burning a bootable rescue disk so I can use this product like I did Symantec's Ghost.

When I try to create a rescue cd I get the following error message:

E00460007:Bad Media!
    Provide another media and try again

I have several wonderful coasters now, I have been using this brand of cd for years and I've never had a coaster with them (honest), until now.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

When you open the drawer to put in the blank media, put in the disk, but leave the drawer open, procede with the creation and let the drawer close on its own.

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

First, I'd suggest using a rewritable CD for all Acronis things, partly because when upgrades come out the rescue CD needs to be updated. It also saves the coasterproblem whilst experimenting :) .

Your problem might be because your burning at too high a rate. To test this make an ISO and see what happens if you try to burn that.

I don't think TI gives you the opportunity to burn at a slower speed. There have been threads on this for v9.x .

The other possibility might be either XP internal CD burn software or 3rd party software is causing the problem, though I don't think this is what is causing your problem.

Colin

4. AVEE8ER

Thanks for the quick response, I just gave that a try and got the same message.

5. AVEE8ER

I just gave the CDRW a shot, I unwrapped a brand new disk, the first message I got was the disk was not blank so I chose the erase option, the drive churned for a few minutes and then ejected the disk.

When I view the disk there's a folder on it now but the computer won't boot from the CD.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What is the name of this folder?

Did you use the XP erase RW option or something like Nero?

Colin

7. AVEE8ER

I used the erase option that popped up in ATI when it said the disk wasn't blank during creation of the boot disk.

I got it to boot off the disk a minute ago, for grins I moved my two burners from the secondary IDE channel to the primary on the motherboard and now ATI starts on boot from the disk. Weird.

I'd still like to know why the CD-R doesn't work.

Thanks for the help!

8. Ralphie

I think you have two issues here. The error in creating the boot disk. And the system booting from the boot disk. For the latter do you have your Boot Order correctly set in the Bios?

9. AVEE8ER

I was trying to force the boot from CD with F8 before moving the drives from one channel to the other because even with the CD set to boot first in BIOS it was going right to the hard drive.

Moving the drives to the other channel was just a shot in the dark which worked.

I still can't create a boot disk on a Sony CD, I'll have to pick up a couple different brands to see if I can find one that works, as stated above it works with a CDRW.

Thanks!

10. Ralphie

If it works with the CDRW, use to burner software to make a Copy of that cdrw.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AVEE8ER,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that in order to investigate this issue thoroughly and to provide you with a possible solution we will need additional information.

Therefore, could you please do as bodgy suggested and try to create ISO image of Bootable Rescue CD (see chapter 10 of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide for details) and burn Bootable Rescue CD from this ISO image using your favorite CD-recording software.

Please do the following:

- Go to Start -> Run and issue the 'regedit' command;

- Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\DebugLogs registry key;

If this is the first time when this log is being issued, then the folder DebugLogs has to be created first;

- Add cdrecord value (Type: DWORD; Data: 1)

- Reproduce the problem (try to create Acronis True Image Bootable CD on CD-R dics) and collect the cdrecord.log file created in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\DebugLogs folder.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Do you have any third-party CD-recording software installed? If yes, then please let us know it's exact version and build number;

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. gkelley621

gkelley621 Registered Member

I have TI 8 and also had problems creating a boot CD - I found that I had Roxio 7 installed and the "Drag-to-Disk" was enabled. Once I turned that off I was able to create the boot CD.

Also, has anyone been able to add an image to the boot CD. I would like to be able to create a boot CD that also contains the image that I want to restore, rather than inserting another CD.

glen

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

This feature was introduced in v9.

Colin

14. shieber

shieber Registered Member

According to the ATI 10 Help file:

"
    If you are create the backup archive on a removable media, you can add the bootable versions of Acronis components to it.General tabTo place Acronis*True*Image*Home (Full version) on a media with backup, check the corresponding box.Advanced tabOn the Advanced tab you can specify the Acronis components to place on a removable media. You can select full, safe or both loader version. The safe version does not have USB, PC card or SCSI drivers and is useful only in case the full version does not work. If you want the computer, booted from the media, to be accessible for remote control with Acronis True Image Management Console, add Acronis Bootable Agent to the media.If you have other Acronis products, installed on your computer, the bootable versions of these programs' components will be offered as Advanced as well.In case of free space shortage on the removable media, the Acronis components might be rejected from it, if you select Do not place additional components if there is not enough free space parameter.
    "

15. daviesk

daviesk Registered Member

I experienced the same error message as AVEE8ER in trying to create a Bootable Rescue CD with True Image10. The workaround suggested by Bodgy and Acronis Support of first creating an .ISO then burning that to a CD (in my case with Nero with write speed cranked down) worked a treat. This may point to the problem being too fast a write speed by TI.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.