True Image 10.0 Selective Restore work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bob Z, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Z

Bob Z Registered Member

I wanted to validate True Image 10.0's selective restore before moving my system disk off to a set of DVD's.

I made an 11 volume DVD of my system disk. When I attempted to restore a couple of files from the backup set, True Image eventually went into what appears to be an infinite loop after requesting and being fed some 66 DVD requests.

Please see the attached file for a step-wise listing of the steps I followed including each DVD of the 11 DVD set True Image 10.0 requested.

Basically, the program just kept requesting DVD #10 and DVD #1 and never settled at the "Content Selection" screen folder tree so I could unckeck all the folders and then check the one folder and then the files I wanted to restore to test the product.

Regards,

Bob Z.

Attached Files:

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Do you have enough hard drive space to do a complete restore?

I'm just wondering if TI is failing to lock the drive if it thinks there isn't enough free space.

I'm afraid I don't v10 so I can't help all that much.

What happens if you mount the image? I think you may have to copy the whole set of DVD'd on to the harddrive to do that, but if you can, it'd give some idea of the images are OK in themselves.

Colin

3. Bob Z

Bob Z Registered Member

Hi Collin,

I have a 550GB disk (2 member stripe set) with 447GB free. I don't think space is an issue.

I suspect the product has a serious bug. I imagine it was probably tested to see if it would restore a complete image. However, I want to verify the product works as designed before I entrust my system to it. It is supposed to be able to restore a single file if necessary. Clearly it can't!

I bought the product in preparation for reconfiguring my RAID arrays. That process clears the disks of their data. I must be absolutely certain the tool works correctly as my entire disk will be in the hands of True Image while I reconfigure the RAID arrays.

Considering it gets off in the weeds setting itself up prior to the selection of the file(s) to be restored, I seriously doubt a full restore is going to work any better. However, once the specific file restore gets resolved, I'll start testing the full volume restore. In that case, it will be critical that I am able to restore a complete, bootable, image of my system disk from the multi-volume DVD image set.

The most disappointing part of the exercise is the incredibly slow turnaround on support tickets. I would think if someone has a case where initially the product wasn't able to be installed (see other thread) and then files couldn't be restored and the product is a save/restore tool, I would be working almost daily with that user to make sure I didn't get the pants sued off me for a product that couldn't do a restore!

It's been 6 or 7 days since I submitted the ticket and I haven't gotten anything back!

Regards,

Bob Z.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK.

Did the set validate?

I still think it might be worth copying the tib files over to a harddrive and just see if the archive can be mounted and access to individual files available.

Now your image isn't made up of a RAID set yet ?

Your intent is to image a single disk and then restore it to a RAID* ?

Are you attempting this with the rescue CD or from within Windows?

I'm just trying to see if the problem can be narrowed down.

Colin

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bob Z,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please have a look at this previous thread about restoration of several files/folders from the image archive spanned over several CD/DVD discs.

If you wish to restore only certain files/folders from the image archive spanned over several CD/DVD discs it could be faster if you copy all the volumes into a single folder on the local/external/networked drive and perform the restoration.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.