True anonymous and private cloud storage

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by JohnMatrix, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix Registered Member

I'm looking to store some files online in a safe way. I mailed several providers and one of them pointed me to the following advice in their privacy policy.

• Encrypt your files before uploading, this is easy with programs like Truecrypt
    • Register using a VPN, proxy or Tor
    • Use a strong password and an anonymous email address
    • Disable the social and analytics cookies from the settings page
    • Always login when connected to a VPN, proxy or Tor
    • Set your firewall rules to disable internet traffic if your VPN disconnects. This prevents revealing your real IP address in the case of a network error during an upload
    • If you upgrade your account, pay using Bitcoins
    Full privacy terms here: https://www.file1.info/privacy#anonymous

Looks pretty good to me, but maybe someone else can think of some potential problems with their advice?

2. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

See here and here.

(NOTE: to view the full thread, click the link at the top right of the window)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix Registered Member

Thanks for the links, it seems the setup I outlined above is (almost) waterproof

4. Macumazan

Macumazan Registered Member

Hi buddy,

Glad to see you're taking your privacy seriously.

Just had a look at File1's page. I was a little concerned about what they said about being legally required to store Web Log's (of course this is a bit of a moot point if you're connecting to them anonymously over Tor the whole time but it'll really slow you down too!)

When it comes to a good cloud service, I think the answer is that they need to do so on a "zero knowledge" basis, like that provided by SpiderOak or Wuala whereby even the staff working for the firms don't know what data you have with them.

Unfortunately in the case of the above two cloud providers you have to trust they'll do what they say they will as their software is closed source. What I like about them is that both have servers based outside the EU/US who I think are the most likely to try and subpoena your private data.

Of course there's no reason you can't do as outlined on the File1 website and encrypt your files before putting them on there. DropBox lends itself particularly well to Truecrypt containers due to the way it syncs data. Just make sure you use a locally stored keyfile(s) as well as a password to access it.

Other privacy favourites c/o the Prism-Break website:

SparkleShare
    Tahoe-LAFS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.