True 64-bit solution

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iravgupta, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I need to deploy an antivirus solution for someone who is using Windows 7 64-bit. I need to know that out of all free and paid apps, which ones have a true 64-bit version. I know MSE and HitMan Pro have them, but not aware of others. Please help.

P.S. - I know that 32-bit apps work fine on 64-bit machines by using a native 64-bit driver, but still if you can cater to my whim, I would be grateful.

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Avast and Avira are x64, Avast installs in program files folder by default.

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

NOD32/ESS, PrevX and ClamAV/Immunet have native 64bit versions as well, among others. Certainly easier to check the vendor website and/or some specialized pages. In particular I recommend Start64! and their security section ;)

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Of the free antivirus programs only MSE and Avast got 64-bit programs I think, they both install in Program Files and not in Program Files (x86). Avira might be 64-bit but I am not sure. AVG and Panda Cloud are both totally x86.

But as far as I know most security apps are still just x86 programs, and run all processes in 32 bit.

Paid: ESET, PrevX are 64-bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
  5. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

alot of the vendors now have x64 versions,

Prevx is fully x64 compatible.

6. apm

apm Registered Member

except MSE is truely native x64, the others are only x64 compatible, avast is 32bit processes and use VC++2008 32bit to run.

7. qpok

qpok Registered Member

The x64 kernel can only run x64 code - not 32-bit. So what makes an antivirus solution "true 64-bit"? When the GUI is compiled against x64 version of the VC++ runtime? I really can't see why this would matter to any user.

8. iravgupta

My point exactly, so any others except MSE that run processes in x64 mode too?

9. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

No
    MSE is the only one which uses 64-bit processes only.

ESET, Avast, PrevX and very few others install in Program Files and use a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit processes.
    All the others install in Program Files x86 and run 32 bit processes.

10. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I think that you can add Comodo also to the real 64bit list. No 32 bit processes when it runs. And of course if you installed the 64 bit version ;)

11. doktornotor

To add to this, I think seeking a "true" 64bit solution is somewhat pointless excercise as long as the features are the same. Whether it installs to "%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files" or "%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files (x86)" or a mixture thereof is completely irrelevant.

12. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Avasts BB doesnt work on 64bit yet i dont think or does it?

i think i maybe think of a different product.

13. iravgupta

Thanks for your response guys. It looks like as of now there is no true 64-bit solution except MSE. I guess I will go with a combination of HitMan Pro and MSE.
    And to those who think it is a worthless endeavor, I mentioned in the beginning of the thread that its just a whim I needed to fulfill.

14. linuxforall

MSE is MS product, therefore they can easily bypass patchguard, thats the issue holding out most vendors from making a full x64 AV.

15. qpok

qpok Registered Member

Again, what is this "full x64 AV"? In x64 builds of Windows the kernel mode drivers are x64 code - there is no middle ground. Furthermore, do you have some proof of MSE bypassing PatchGuard? As far as I can tell, it uses a file system minifilter and WFP filter for the active protection. And regarding Patchguard, it was put there to prevent development that was never officially supported or encouraged and I see no reason for MS to do things the "wrong way" in their AV solution.

16. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

Trend Micro has a native 64 bit version. I'm pretty sure Bitdefender does too. Same with Forticlient.

17. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

NIS is 64-bit system compatibile too.

18. iravgupta

Err.. compatible is not what I was looking for here, but thanks for the info.

19. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

Im using NIS 2010 on 64-bit Windows 7 and dont have any problem ;)

20. linuxforall

MSE is a MS product, they are free to do whatever they wish to their OS and therefore there is no WoW processes in MSE unlike other AVs.

21. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You make it sounds as if MS are being biased to their own products. The only advantage MSE has is that it takes full advantage of Windows API instead of relying on hooks all over the place, a much cleaner, and as results have shown, effective solution. You can usually tell how other products are doing things they really shouldn't, when a simple windows update suddenly breaks them, yet other products remain fine. Proper integration into the OS is quite important to me as you may have guessed :rolleyes:

22. doktornotor

I still feel you rely on some misconception wrt "true 64bit". As an illustration, here's the official ESET point of view.

23. iravgupta

And still they have separate programs for 32 and 64 bit? Not able to understand this.
    http://www.eset.com/download/home#
    The link you have pointed to is from November 2009. Have they changed their stance on this?

24. doktornotor

Sure they have. Probably they don't exactly want to make people download much bigger installer when they don't need it. What's difficult to understand about this?

No, they haven't, why should they? There's an official ESET support forum here on Wilders, BTW. So better to move your questions there in case they are more specific.

25. linuxforall

No bias but being the developer of the Windows, its a particular advantage for them, MSE is free so here there is no financial gains to be made, just goodwill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.