Troubleshooting Windows 8.X Slow Boot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Jul 15, 2016.

1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Are there any very simple Troubleshooting Methods for Troubleshooting and Resolving Windows 8.X Slow Boot times?

Thanks in Advance.

2. itman

itman Registered Member

This works in Win 7, so I assume it will also be so in Win 8.

From an elevated command line prompt, type "defrag C: -b" less the quotes where "C" is your OS installation drive. This will optimize your boot files. This command should run periodically on its own, but you never know.

Note: make sure you allow the defrag operation to fully complete. It is easy to think the operation is done when it isn't. Wait for the confirmation the defrag has fully completed. Also I assume this command is safe to run on SSD drives but not fully sure about it.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Does it take the same length of time to boot if you do it in safe mode?

4. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I don't know. Someone at work (slightly computer literate) said that their relative had slower and slower boot times on their Windows 8.X Laptop over the past year or two. I think that their relative knows less about computers than they do. I probably won't be able to see their computer.

I have already asked the obvious: Do you have an Antivirus (with up-to-date signature subscriptions) and are you confident that the Laptop is virus free?

That is why I asked for "very simple Troubleshooting Methods" to pass on to them.

Thank you.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Always difficult when you cannot see the machine isn't it ?

Sometimes I find that Trusteer Rapport slows things down at startup, but, like you, I have no idea what is on their machine.

Good luck !

6. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

1. Remove all old files and programs;
    2. Remove all old prefetch data;
    3. Remove all the old "roll back" files;
    4. Remove all old installation files for Windows updates;
    5. Clean registry;
    6. Optimize and defragment hard disk (if it is HDD);
    7. Consolidate free space, if it is SSD;
    8. Optimize and defragment registry;
    9. remove all old restore points except the last;
    10. wipe free space, if it is HDD;
    If this does not help, it will only be a new clean installation. If also this doesn't help, it means, You have obsolete pc, it's CPU is slow and there is nothing to do. Helps only if buy new, with SSD drive, CPU at least 3.7GH frequency (or higher), 4 cores, etc.

If is used Windows 10 Pro or something similar and to use normal boot, then booting time should be about 40-80 seconds. If it is SSD, then 35-50 seconds. If it is more, then You have an obsolete computer, or it is damaged or simply the owner is careless.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.