Trouble with Mcafee

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MRSCT, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I keep getting NT ON Access Scanner pop up's. I went to the mcafee forum and them I went to the online techie for information on how to stop this. I talked to 3 different techies, it seems that I have more pop ups than ever now.

I tried to use Ad Aware and it kept hanging up so it wasn't continueous with the scan. Once I click the nt on access scanner, I loose what I am working on. It starts up slowly, and then it will freeze, I can't fix it until it is ready to do it on it's own. When I click the box for why this is happening, the answer is they don't know and they are still researching the problem.

First I click the welcome page, sometimes it stalls there but most of the time it is on the desktop. I get a not responding answer much of the time. When the Mcafee logo comes up, the icon goes black, then the suspious script pops up then the nt on access scanner service. I click send the problem in, then it comes back stating it's not sure why this happened.

My computer is starting to run slower. I haven't used this computer very much. It's Xp 256 MB ram SP2 Mcafee Viruscan, spybot, ad aware
    Pentium 4 .

I am a novice and have had lots of help from this forum. I thought I was starting with a problem free computer :oops:

My husband said that before we put mcafee on there were fewer processes. It does take up alot of room, do all the antivirus programs use alot of processes?

I've got to close, I have 3 boxes that state sorry they have to close. If i just move them out of the way, I can keep typing

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Hi MRSCT!

I haven't used McAfee for a significant numbr of years, so I really can't comment on how it is behaving.

To answer your general questions, all AV's will add a few processes, some only a couple, some more. It all depends on how it is constructed and whether it is a pure AV or a securiy suite with firewall and perhaps antispyware modules.

Of the programs available, those that are generally considered to be light on resource consumption are F-Prot, NOD32, and Dr Web. You'll see comments around that programs generally considered resource heavy by many, KAV for instance, how no apparent impact on a given machine, while the ones I just mentioned may appear to have a large impact. It does depend somewhat on the specific hardware, mix of software running, and settings employed as to whether a program appears resource light or not (and I'm really just talking about whether system responsiveness starts to lag). That's why trial testing is always recommended.

Blue

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A couple of additional thoughts before I run off to work....

For a home user with multiple machines, cost-in-use is always an issue. One nice feature of both F-Prot and BOClean is that the base purchase allows installation on multiple machines for home users. For F-Prot, the website notes
    while the BOClean EULA states
    For a cost of $30 for F-Prot and $40 for BOClean, I'd say this is very effective and economical protection if you're in the market for alternate solutions. BOClean doesn't have a trial, but does offer a rock-solid 30 day money back guarantee if purchased directly from them.

Blue

4. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I think I'm not going to use that computer until I get more help from someone here. When the NT on access scanner comes up, I just move it to the bottom of the screen. When I was done with my project, I closed out 7 NT pop ups.

I'm ready to cancel Mcafee, my computer is running very slow, The NT On Access Scanner is constantly popping up ( closed out 7 this morning)
    Then the suspicious script comes up, and I press stop script so then I don't have any protection for AV. Can anyone help :'( :'( :'(

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.