trouble restoring image to dell inspiron 1720

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GiftMatcher, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GiftMatcher

GiftMatcher Registered Member

I was wondering if there is a specific trick I need to do to restore an image to a dell inspiron 1720. I am using trial version of Acronis true image 10 home (wanted to make sure it could handle the hardware before I shelled out for it) I built a boot disk with it in the ordinary way. At first the process would hang just before the image began to copy to the drive weather or not AHCI mode was enabled but as I continued to fiddle with it, it now displays a message as the boot disk is starting up "ata2: disabling port" and the hard disks are no longer visible.

Any suggestions?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Did you look through the second sticky message at the top of this forum? Try the quiet acpi=off noapic workaround and let us know if that helped.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GiftMatcher,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post, as jmk94903 suggested.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report, Windows system information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. Norma

Norma Registered Member

Thank you for the post - I didn't even know the overall guide was there so this helped me too (I have the same laptop)... I'm doing a restore now and have gotten further than my previous attempts without any hangs... fingers crossed as I quite like the look and feel of TI

5. jmk94903

Be sure to let us know how it comes out, and also what made it work.

There are a lot of Dell notebooks out there.

John

6. Norma

Norma Registered Member

I've now successfully restored - thank goodness that works cause Vista is so flaky with XP stuff - it's important to have serious restore points before installing XP software that is likely to impact device drivers - I lost my DVD rom drive when I installed Pinnacle TV (XP version) and Dell told me the only thing left to do was a factory restore...

Anyway I got this to work simply by using exactly the command noted earlier and also in the thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317

It took around 4 hours to complete the restore from a USB2 external drive with an image size of ~75GB.

One happy camper.

I have not purchased True Image yet and would like to know if this is resolved in True Image Home 11. Anyone know?

Thanks,
    Norma

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  7. jmk94903

I'm glad you are a happy camper. I'd like you to stay that way in your relation with Acronis True Image.

So, in your situation, I'd wait a while to buy TI 11. It's going through some growing pains at the moment. In a couple of months and a few builds from now, it will be the product you want.

8. Norma

Norma Registered Member

Thanks John! TI 10 it is then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.