Trouble making disk image - ATI 11 Home

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bill Schneider, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Schneider

Bill Schneider Registered Member

I finally got so fed up that I'm posting for help.

I tried, on several different XP/2000 systems, to make a disk image. Failed every time.

All that I want to do is create a disk image of the system contents, just to able to restore the whole system in case a major crisis. No partial backups etc (I do that in other ways). Just the restorable image, that's all. (No sector-sector etc.)

The systems are quite new, early their life. Maybe 3.5GB to 8GB total. The hard disks were 40-100GB.

I poured through the 'wizard', answering the various questions, etc. Near the end, ATI sees that I want 3.5 to 8 GB saved -- BUT it STILL wants to start saving the WHOLE Hard disk -- even the totally virgin, unused space!

Doesn't ATI have this function? To just use/save *used* clusters etc?

Then ATI complains that my target (CD/DVD) hasn't enough room. Etc, etc...

I did some checking around the forum, most talk is about ATI 2009. Couldn't find any specific help/directions/comments. So this post.

I did find these (conflicting, I think) comments in posts:

////
    You can't do a partition clone with Acronis TI. Only a whole HD to whole HD. Images are compressed and capture only space in use.
    //////
    Clones are not only uncompressed, they duplicate free space in the partition, as well.
    ///

I don't want to clone at all.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Bill

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Bill, that shouldn't be happening unless perhaps you checked the 'Sector-by-Sector' box during the last stage of creating your image. I've used v11 on XP and Vista (but not on 2000) and it just backs up the used sectors (unless said box is checked) and the resulting image is also compressed.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Bill,
    If you follow the steps listed in my guides (line 2 of my signature below), this should enable you to achieve your goal. If you have extra time, also read the guide listed in line 3 below but this guide relates to moving to a new or larger drive but the information listed in this guide is good to know.

4. Bill Schneider

Thanks, Aaron, for the 'vote of confidence' about ATI 11 working in XP. Seems that it should work like I want/expert it to.

No, I didn't check sector-by-sector procedure -- I (sorta) understand that, I think.

I'll check Grover's instructions too. Maybe I can find out what I'm missing.

Thanks the response. Much appreciated.

5. Bill Schneider

Grover,

Thanks for the reminder about your guides. I did read the 'Basic' even before I posted. (I ran into a reference to your guides as I was initially researching some threads for help.)

So, I re-read the Basic again and picked up your comment about 'problems when saving direct to CD/DVD' (paraphased) -- which I was trying to do.

So I switched to using a USB external HD. That let me make an image (tib) in about 3 minutes! (file is only about 2.2GB from a 4GB used -- early in the system's life)

And, I successfully copied that tib to a DVD (using Nero 6, since XP Pro apparently can't burn DVDs). (I'm new to XP, coming from Win 2000, even 98.)

Still, I was confused about ATI's reporting that the backup will be about 37GB (when it really was backing up only about 4GB). I have to complain about something. <G>

Seriously, that 'mis-reporting' had stopped me in the past, as I was trying Vers 8 and 9, before v11. I wouldn't let it Proceed (thinking it would require 5-6 or more CDs, etc).

So thanks again. Now I have to check your Restore guide, to play with that on a another test system.

Bill

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You can expect a TI archive to be approximately 60-70% of your used space. Audio and pictures will not compress much further. If you were to stop your Windows System restore, this would get rid of all the windows restore points. That would help the space. If you make regular TI backups, the Windows restore points are redundant.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Bill, if you still experience the issue with Acronis software, I may recommend you to use our Live Chat service here in order to receive immediate support.

Please collect the following information, it will help us to investigate the issue thoroughly and provide you with a possible solution:

1) Please download Acronis Report utility available here and run it, create a report and send it to us. Please compress the Acronis Report output file into an archive (e.g. with WinZip) and attach to your message by browsing for the archive.
    This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

2) Please provide us with the step-by-step screen shots of the exact sequence of your actions.

If you are not familiar with making screen shots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;
    - Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;
    - Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;
    - Choose Paste command in Edit menu;
    - Save the result picture in JPEG format being preferable.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.