Trouble downloading AOL free McAfee VirusScan Plus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by skylights, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skylights

skylights Registered Member

Has anyone tried to download the free McAfee VirusScan Plus from AOL? I tried last night and today and I keep getting this message:

So then I go back to the link they mention and try again, entering my AOL screen name (I even set up my AOL email), and it still doesn't work. After several tries I just get a blank screen, like it's shutting me out. Hey, they were the ones who said to go back and try again! After waiting a while it seems to reset and I get the "Sorry" message again and not the blank screen.

Has anyone else had this problem downloading McAfee from AOL? If you have an AOL screen name (or if you're willing to create one) could you try it out and see if you have better luck?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had no problem at all getting the download.

Attached Files:

3. skylights

I just now had the idea to sign up for a new screen name (my third now o_O), in case my two old ones didn't work for some strange reason. My hunch was right, and I've downloaded the program. So if anyone else is having the same problem, there is your solution.

Thank you for checking, bigc.

4. EricEgan

EricEgan Registered Member

At least you get to get it free. As an AOL UK user there is no longer Free Anything! We used to get AOL Anti-Spyware Free and a very very old version of McAfee Firewall Plus for free but now when you try and get it, it says there's a £2.99 monthly charge!

E

5. skylights

Wow, that sucks. :( At least you have other free choices. Probably avast! 4.8 plus Online Armor Free would be the easiest combo that would cover the same areas. I just wanted McAfee for my mom's computer because I figured it would be a very quiet firewall/HIPS (yes, it includes both). So far I'm right-- it must have a very extensive whitelist. Plus its AV/AS is perfectly adequate. I have a 1-year free trial of Norton AntiBot installed right next to it... hope these two big names don't get in a fight. ;)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.