Trouble copying image to another hard drive w/Acronis TrueImage 6...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by waldothewonderboy, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waldothewonderboy

waldothewonderboy Registered Member

I still use Acronis 6 - I haven't had the time to upgrade to the latest version.

I imaged the hard drive of one computer, which is failing, so I could copy it onto the hard drive of another computer I own. It uses Windows XP with the SP2 upgrade. I copied the image onto six CDs. No errors came up when I was imaging the drive.

Everything seemed to be going fine during the recovery process; the Acronis recovery CD screen came up with no problems, and I began going through the steps. I placed the final CD I burned into my second CD-ROM drive, which the software saw with no hickups. When I got to the final screen and clicked Proceed, I got this message:

"Error opening the file.
    A possible reason may be poor media quality.
    Please press Retry, etc...."

I burned the Recovery CD at the same time I imaged the hard drive, and that seemed to be working okay. And I partitioned and formatted the destination drive before I started the process, which showed up as partitioned. And there are no scratches on the CDs I burned the image onto(Fuji CDs).

Any ideas as to what it might be? I hope I provided all the necessary information. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

Nobody can be so busy that they use ancient software when the website is full of easy to download updates.......

Anyhow, my experience with TrueImage 8 CD restores and flakey error messages is you should ignore the error message and insert the next CD and click retry. That should complete the restore.

It appears that the Acronis engineers have never actually gone through a CD restore and looked at the weird messages their otherwise fine product kicks out. The error message you cite should read something like insert the next CD. Instead of the existing choices of retry & cancel there should be a choice for proceed. It's anybody's guess why they continually rush to release newer builds but never seem to get the basics working right.

I bought the product in late February and I'm on my third build since the original and still these silly problems persist. Slopy, sloppy, sloppy.

I'm beginning to think I paid to become an unpaid beta tester for Acronis.

My frustration derives from the fact that TI8 is an otherwise great product that really does a fantastic job and provides the best value available. So why can't Acronis take a step back and fix all this silly stuff in the next release?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.