Trouble adding Executables to the Protection List

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by finiteman, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finiteman

finiteman Registered Member

Greetings.
    I truly like ProcessGuard and the protection it offers, as well as all of the DCS products I have.

I have noticed that on occasion when I try to manually add an executable file to the protection list, I get the message

"There was an error adding the file you selected to the list.
    Please ensure that it isn't already in the list and that it is an executable file."

When I check to see if it is in the protection list, it is not. If I try opening up the file in Learning mode, it still is not added to the protection list, although it may appear in the Security list. For a test, I tried to add calc.exe to the protection list, and I got the above error message. I opened calc.exe in learning mode, and it still was not added to either the protection or the security lists. I have also noticed this when adding game programs to my system where mouse hooks were needed.

Previously, PG has been working OK in both initial installation and everyday use. I have only noticed a problem with this within the past few weeks. Right after version 3.150 came out I updated PG using the prescribed procedure of saving my pghash.dat and pgguard.dat files and making the necessary adjustments for ProcessGuard in the registry.

I am running on Windows XP SP2 updated, with
    NAV 2005
    ZA Pro
    Proxomitron
    Giant Antispyware
    TDS-3
    Wormguard (trial)
    spybot
    Spywareblaster
    Spywareguard

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. finiteman

As an addendum to my previous post, the calc.exe executable IS added to the security list after opening it in Learning mode, but not to the Protection list. I cannot manually add it the the protection list either without getting the error message.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi finiteman and welcome, That is strange, how many processes are listed in your protection list? The reason I ask is that most non system and non internet enabled programs (calc.exe) do not need protection. There may be a limitation on the list size, so we will have to await Jason's reply.

Thanks. Pilli

4. finiteman

Thanks for the quick response.
    Right now I have 256 items in the Protection list. I will go through and do some "house cleaning" and eliminate unnessessary entries and see if that has an effect.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I do know at one time there was a 250 process limit but thought that Jason had increased it. It will be interesting to see that when you get below 250 if the same error occurs.

Thanks for getting back to us. Pilli :)

6. finiteman

Yes, that seems to have been the problem. I reduced the items in the Protection List from 256 to 232, and I was able to add calc.exe to the list with no problem.
    Thank you for your help.

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Ah, then Jason must have upped the limit to 250 from what it was originally. I cannot remember exactly what occurred :)

Cheers. Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.