trojans or not

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by maddawgz, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hello everyone i managed to get my pc back..after 20 bucks not bad for a reformatt!! anyhow my pc cillian keeps picking up hp/bin/ prockill or something and terminator? exe..i think theyre part of my hp bin files i have no i idea wot pc cililan 2004 did with them?? because theyre not in quarantine? if i delete these files is it harmfull to my pc?? im a bit tempermental after a reformatt and hope i dont stuff anything else up??..so any advice would be much apprecated thanks....can i set pc cilian to ingore them?..kind regard maddawgz :mad:

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi maddawgz

I did a googlesearch, and some say it's a trojan. Why you don't start by scanning the file(s) in question with kaspersky single file scanner, before you start deleting, and perhaps do a full online scan (links are in my signature :) )

3. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

Somewhat late reply to this :p but just downloaded the latest version of McAfee Stinger, and ran it just in case (I'm using it as a backup scanner - main AV is Avast Home on a Win 98 SE system). It picked up a file called EndProcess.exe in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, which it flagged as ProcKill-Cl and deleted before I was able to do anything (the Report Only option had mysteriously been reset to Repair). o_O

I'm upset that I was unable to check this file before Stinger deleted it. I'm about 95% sure it was a F/P, but can't figure out what programme put it there and why. Everything seems to work fine on the PC, though, so it wasn't perhaps an essential system file. I ran a Google search but found nothing enlightening so far... :(

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might take a look here

5. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

Hmmm... Now that's interesting. Thanks for the link! :)

Could it have actually been a remnant from an old trojan? I test various programmes on this PC, and although I generally keep it pretty tight on security, things apparently manage to slip by once in a while... :(

Anyway, since nothing seems to have been affected by the deletion, I guess it wasn't really an important file. Moreover, I update most of my programmes very regularly, so if it was in fact something harmless placed there by one of these programmes, chances are it will return with a future update. :p

Thanks again,
    BS :)

6. chew

chew Registered Member

Yes, my McAfee detected Prockill-DF on: 1) CCleaner. 2) Rainlender. 3) Ewido Security Suite. errrmm ... apparently it's a false positive but it's too late McAfee deleted them all. However, all the above apps are still on my system as it only deleted the .exe files that I initially downloaded. D'oh! I just updated McAfee Virus Def and everything is fine now after hours of scanning ... d'oh! https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=107030

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.