trojan in backup file?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Smokey Green, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey Green

Smokey Green Registered Member

I have just begun using Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 Free Edition. I have an Asus Eee on which I've recently re-installed Windows XP (from disk image on CD-ROM that came with the computer). That install was followed by installing of Windows updates, installing of Avast5, and installing of various utilities and applications from original CDs, Download.com, and SourceForge.net. I then used Paragon to make a backup to a folder on an external HD. I use this external HD for various data files and backups, so I scan it weekly. Today I scanned it with Avast5 and got a warning for one of the files in the backup folder created by Paragon:

High Threat: Win32:Hupigon-ONX[Trj]

I then used Avast5 to scan the Asus Eee, and got a clean scan. As best I can recall, I haven't deleted anything from the Asus since I made the backup. So I am wondering, do I have a trojan in my backup? If so, how did it get there?

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. Smokey Green

Smokey Green Registered Member

Thanks for the links. Sure does sound similar. However, to clarify, the backup is recent and this was the first scan I have done of the external HD since I made the backup. So the file in question has not been present for an extended time or been checked by other scanners.

To be on the safe side, I have deleted the backup in question. I will do thorough scans of the Asus itself. If these come up clean, my next move will be to defrag the Asus, scrub the free space, then make another backup and scan that. Since I have a heavy workload right now and the Asus is not my primary machine, it will probably take me several weeks to complete the process. In the meantime, I will gladly read any additional comments folks may have.

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Sorry,what I meant was that the similar issues referenced have been around for some time,not meaning your particular detection.I hesitate to say that it's definitely a FP,but on balance it would seem to be.You took the safest option in deleting that particular image just in case.It'll be interesting to see if you get any subsequent detections when scanning other images.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

on the balance of probabilities i also think it was an FP rather than some malware

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.