Trojan drop from Yahoo Profile page

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Arctic, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arctic

Arctic Guest

Is it possible to have a trojan dropped in your computer simply by viewing someones profile page on Yahoo. I was told that someone could embed a trojan into their profile picture and when you clicked to view the profile you would get hit by the trojan without even knowing. I do know that you should not click on any URL on a profile page. For example: Someone could put their homepage or their favorite page and if you click on that they can drop some really nasty bugs in your system. I actually saw that happen to a friend in yahoo that clicked on the homepage URL someone had on their profile. But as I asked above,,, "Is it possible to get a trojan or virus from simply viewing a yahoo profile page?"

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

As the article at the link states, if a trojan has been placed on a web page, you can get it placed on your machine just by viewing the infected page. It is interesting reading.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=19784

3. Pamela Fox

Pamela Fox Registered Member

Actually I don't think that URL applies to this question. That URL is talking about a website created by an individual and the Yahoo websites are owned by Yahoo. A participant is only allowed to type information about themselves and attach a photo in jpg form. However, never click on any of the url links a person puts on their profile page because it could lead to a website they set up just for the sole purpose of dumping a trojan or virus into your computer. They may list it on their profile page as their favorite website or their homepage. I actually know one person in chat that does this and the way I know is because he did it to me. LOL :D My stupidity, but I have learned the hard way. :cool: And am wiser for it ;) Happy Chatting!!!

4. bigc73542

Trojan inor-b can be present on almost any web page not just the one at the link. It could just as easily be on a yahoo profile page if the owner of the profile page had gone to a page containing inor-b and unwittingly took it back to his or her profile page.

5. Pamela Fox

Pamela Fox Registered Member

I still believe I must disagree with you. While it is possible for this to happen I am referring to someone intentionally adding code to their profile page to infect other people. This is not like a website they have total control over. The only thing they are allowed to add is typed information on their profile and a profile picture. And I was referring to the profile jpg itself. It may be possible for someone to put an infected jpg on their profile, however I believe yahoo would pick up on this and stop it. I would like to hear from someone who has actually been infect with a virus or trojan from a yahoo profile page and I would like to know what the page is so I can go take a peek at it. lol,,, ;) Yes, I do believe in living dangerously,,, lol. :cool: As I said, I was infected from a yahoo profile when I clicked on a person's home page they had listed on it. Dropped a really nasty trojan on me but I got it all cleaned up ;)

6. bigc73542

I would like to be able to believe that yahoo is that intent on scaning everything like that but in reality there are an awful lot of of virus,trojans and worms get past the scanning the do in their e-mails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.