Trojan detected in my NOD32's cache folder!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by hakuzu, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hakuzu

hakuzu Registered Member

Hello, first I wanna say hi, I'm new around here, and hopefully you'll help me out with this. :)

Today my NOD32 detected some virus, so I removed it, then I proceeded to do an In-depth scan, nothing was found...all clear. Then I decided to run the Kaspersky Online Scanner, it detected 1 virus in the Eset\cache\FND1.NFI file, called "Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.bil". o_O

Is this a normal conflict between NOD32/Kaspersky, or is my NOD32 infected with some trojan? I don't have any files in quarantee BTW. Thanks in advance.

2. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Are you sure you know what a cache is?
    Here is how wikipedia describes it:
    "In computer science, a cache (pronounced "cash" /kæʃ/ or /kaʃ/[citation needed]) is a collection of data duplicating original values stored elsewhere or computed earlier, where the original data is expensive (usually in terms of access time) to fetch or compute relative to reading the cache. Once the data is stored in the cache, future use can be made by accessing the cached copy rather than re-fetching or recomputing the original data, so that the average access time is lower."

What this basically means is that at some point, in some time, there was a trojan located somewhere on your computer, and NOD32 scanned the file where this trojan was. NOD32 may or may not have dealt with the infection. If Kaspersky gives no warning about this trojan elsewhere on your computer, I guess it is safe to say the threat has been dealt with. But since NOD32 scanned this location (where the trojan was) the data got duplicated to NOD32's cache folder (for faster/easier access). NOD32 isn't really infected, if that's what you're worrying about, and you can safely delete/"clean" this file if you want to (although it is also harmless where it's located now, in the cache folder).

Just as a side-note, NOD32 doesn't scan its own cache folder, if I am correct, since it is basically just a "duplicate" of data located elsewhere on your hard drive(s). (So that's why your NOD32 may have said your computer is clean, while Kaspersky may tell you otherwise.)

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's a benign cache file, KAV can decrypt and scan it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.