Triple Threat

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by btman, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btman

btman Registered Member

I just feel like adding another anti-spyware to my addition... I'm currently @

Spyware Terminator vs SpyDefense vs CounterSpy

Any views?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ive never heard of spydefense, but for realtime protection id get spyware terminator. my reasons are as follows:

1. its free
    2. its light on system resources
    3. it has HIPS features

also, which anti-spyware do you already have?

3. btman

btman Registered Member

I have lots... i just want another... no realtime protection needed...

my security software is compiled of...

Kaspersky
    BitDefender
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot S and D
    A-Squared Free
    Ewido Anti-Spyware
    Arovax Anti-Spyware
    Arovax Shield
    Arovax Smarthide
    Spyware Doctor
    Sygate
    Windows Defender
    Spyware Blaster
    Spyware Guard

And one of the 3

SpyDefence (fileforum has it and it got a good rating but it detected bearshare:thumbd: )

Spyware Terminator (Seems decent... But it's past I dislike)

CounterSpy (Is close to Windows Defender says everyone and WD detects nothing... Also seems cheasy... Spy Sweeper was almost a choice but version 5 blows says... most and if the latest one with bug fixes is worse then the last version I'll wait till the next version lol)

Gah i wish www.av-comparatives.org made a www.as-comparatives.org for spyware/malware tests lol... It'd make this alot easier.

4. WSFuser

even if they are on-demand only, its not necessary to have so many anti-spyware related programs. especially considering u have kaspersky for an antivirus.

id trim down that list (greatly).

of course thats just my opinion :rolleyes:

5. btman

btman Registered Member

I test most of those lol. Try to work out f/p and crap.

6. WSFuser

if youre just testing, then why not try all three?

7. btman

btman Registered Member

I have all 3... but i ran them on a clean computer... lol... so that's why i want other users opinions

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

counterspy in my opintion is a good app. its more based on the first windows antispyware beta which was good at detecting malware. plus counterspy can detect more.

9. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

As far as i know the project of Spydefense (everestlabs.com) has been abandoned for months now.

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Spyware Terminator is a good candidate.They do have the occasional f/p.;)
    As far as their past goes...there have been other antispyware developers that have changed for the better.It's been a clean program for me.

11. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

is heard spyware terminator was rebranded pest patrol

12. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I think that you will find that it is Spyware X-terminator that is the rebranded Pest patrol and NOT Spyware Terminator!;)

See following link:

http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm and search for x-terminator on that page

13. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just wanted to add to the abandoned Spydefense post. I just checked Everest Labs web site, and couldn't find the forum section that use to be there. I do like and now trust Spyware Terminator, but will have to wait until it can be used with a Two User Account. They also now have a Forum. I use and like SuperAntiSpyware as an on demand scanner too. Take care everyone.

14. btman

btman Registered Member

ran all 3 scans... counterspy found the most... spyware terminator froze while scanning some file that wasn't in the correct spot.... ill run another one soon. and yeah spydefence is at the bottem of the 3 right now lol.

15. btman

btman Registered Member

Spydefence is out.

Spyware Terminator vs Counterspy any thoughts?

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Counterspy is definitely better imo but you have to pay for it so it depends if you have the cash for it. Otherwise spyware terminator is pretty good. Also counterspy seemed quite heavy on the resources compared to spyware terminator so your computer specs may also need to be taken into consideration.

17. btman

btman Registered Member

no on demand guard required. look above lol. I dont no ... ill just not run any normal scans till... i dont no.. when the august/september av-comparative tests come out. so like october 1st... then ill see which finds what lol

18. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

Greetings friend,

What is needed here is not a new program but a new way of thinking about dealing with spyware. When I did use Windows back in the day (on linux now) I would use the following programs...

Kaspersky
    NOD32
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot S and D
    Ewido Anti-Spyware
    Windows Defender
    Spyware Blaster
    Look 'n' Stop w/Phant0m's custom rules
    Firefox

1. disable referers / set value to 0
    2. disable useragents
    3. 'whitelisting' cookies is the best defense against tracking cookies! First it requires that you disable all cookies in the settings. There are firefox extensions out there that you can add cookies to the list for only the site you are on quickly from the status bar icon. Use cookies only when absolutely nessecary. Use session cookies for those rare sites that you cannot get past but you need to do something within reason. Perma or session cookies for forums/emails depending on who all has access to your computer. Everything else on the web DOES NOT NEED cookies PERIOD!
    4. Install an extension called 'CustomizeGoogle' and go into the 'Privacy' tab. Fill in both boxes and then click OK.
    5. Spyware Blaster and the Immunization feature use what is known as a 'blacklist' for the various browsers including firefox. However if you use the 'whitelist' method of thinking you will be far more secure.

- To blacklist means it blocks what is in the list and allows everything else.
    - To whitelist means it allows what is in the list and blocks everything else.

6. Find out what ports are open/listening on your computer. Then figure out how to disable those that don't absolutely need to be open. Example: TCP port 123 is probably open because that is the port Windows Time uses to update the time.

If nothing else whitelist those cookies!

If you have any questions post em but I have to be gone all day today. 'till then friend...

19. btman

btman Registered Member

That doesn't help me now does it guy above me. I'm not having spyware problems i just want another program to test :)

20. btman

btman Registered Member

Final opinions before i let this thread die and choose one?

21. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Spyware Terminator....as the up and coming kid on the block....and look at the price!;)

22. btman

btman Registered Member

i think ill make a triple threat again by putting trend micro anti-spyware on the list... those 10 tests... with it doing excellent intrigue me lol

23. btman

btman Registered Member

rawrrrrr

24. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wouldnt reccomend it and dont know why people do. there are other good freebies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.