Trinity KDE - An alternative to KDE4, Gnome 3?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

'Tis ain't a movie with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. 'Tis a desktop environment. If you are looking for a new desktop, after feeling dismayed by Gnome 3 and don't feel like KDE4, then you may want to consider reading this article; a review of Trinity KDE, an alternative desktop environment for Linux, which could replace KDE4 or Gnome 3, with a focus on looks and ease of use.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/trinity-kde.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. And so far it's pretty cool; everything KDE3 used to be. Some parts are a little rough still, but I think it's much friendlier and more usable than KDE4.

Also IMO, the main advantage is that it is ludicrously faster than KDE4. I've seen KDE3 run comfortably Pentium II machines, while KDE4 is spectacularly sluggish (and rather crashy!) even on my Celeron M520 laptop.

I really hope the Trinity project grows and is successful... Otherwise Linux won't be able to provide a full-featured desktop for older computers. Which would be a real bummer.

3. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I like KDE 4 and I also like Gnome 3 and I would like to applaud Canonical for having an innovative spirit. To me, that is how progress is made; and whoever is too attached to technological tradition, will eventually be left behind. Change is never easy since it may not even be to everyone liking, tough luck. Please, to all technological "die-harders": Adapt or stay in the stone ages where Gnome 2 still lives.

Thanks. :p

4. My question is, how are Gnome3 and KDE4 "progress"? They do very little that their predecessors couldn't, while requiring more resources.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Have you forgotten Enlightenment, Fluxbox, IceWM, LXDE, XFCE, etc? Or do you only know of 2 desktop environments?

6. Fluxbox is a standalone window manager, and Enlightenment and LXDE are not full-featured by any stretch. Even Xfce is nowhere near as complete as KDE3. I'll give that any of those can be brought up to par with Gnome, but only by loading them down with overweight Gnome applications.

Just for the record.... Can you find a modern distro that can run a desktop environment, with a halfway decent browser and a usable office suite, in 192 MB of RAM? KDE3 can do that - I used to use it on my IBM 300 PL, and while not blindingly fast it was quite usable.

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Enlightenment is a highly configurable window manager. Once you get the hang of setting it up, it runs smooth and fast.

LXDE is for low resource computers. It provides a familiar desktop environment and that is lean and fast - not as configurable as Enlightenment but enough to get the job done.

XFCE is often thought of as GNOME's small brother. It isn't. It is configurable and runs well on old hardware.

8. NormanF

Puppy can do that... you can use Puppy on a very old computer that can't even boot Windows 7 and its blazingly fast. Packs in a full featured OS in around 400 MBs!

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Puppy Linux, antiX, Sabayon CoreCDX, and Fedora LXDE. None use GNOME or KDE.

10. NormanF

Mrk, speaking of your Fedora review, not the easiest thing for new users. Check out the Fusion Linux Fedora Remix - its Fedora done right with all the multimedia codecs, a ton of applications and everything just works right out of the box. If you like Fedora but don't want the hassle of setting it up, head there.

Its jolly good!

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Or Fuduntu, which is the superior Fedora remix IMHO.

12. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  13. NormanF

Mac - also look at Oz Unity.

Its the prettiest version of Ubuntu Netbook Remix ever done.

You should check it out!

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

mac, I posted on scientific already ... in the original thread.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.