Tried v3 for 2 weeks, now back to v2.7

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by DE Retiree, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DE Retiree

DE Retiree Registered Member

Posting this just for general info and hopefully to help others.

I tried v3 for a couple of weeks but reverted to v2.7 today because I could no longer "handle" the significant system slow down; CPU load frequently went to 100% and the only way to stop it was to reboot. Many, but not all, internet pages loaded painfully slowly with IE7, Firefox and Opera browsers.

I am running Windows Vista Business on a Dell 8400 (3.4 gig single core intel CPU) with 2 gigs memory. I also run Windows Firewall behind a hardware router/firewall and SpySweeper with all options enabled, Windows Defender, and WinPatrol - all latest versions with latest updates. This combination works smoothly with NOD32 version 2.7 configured with Blackspear's extra settings.

... DE Retiree

2. attila4000

attila4000 Registered Member

if you have uac always on a standard user account why do you need all the security apps? if you keep windows fully patched all you need is nod 3.0 and maybe windows defender. see my sig below, that's all i will ever use.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree with attila4000, with all you are running, a "feather" would run heavy. Plus you reallt need all of them with 3.0. I have seen no system impact. You might just want to try.:)

4. DE Retiree

DE Retiree Registered Member

I appreciate what you are saying about my not needing SpySweeper and WinPatrol in addition to NOD32/Defender but why does everything I'm currently running work smoothly and fast with version 2.7 and not with version 3? Seems like something in version 3 REALLY slows down my system.

Also, what added virus/malware protection do I get with version 3 vs. version 2.7 ... .I thought the engine and definitions were the same with both. Perhaps I misunderstood?

Thanks, DE Retiree

5. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Spy Sweeper and WinPatrol if you are running the in real time are overkill. I dont use real time spyware protection. I just use NOD32 2.7 along with Online Armor. I do a spyware scan once a week with SuperAntiSpyware and Spyware Terminator. Both of which are free.

6. mr mister

mr mister Registered Member

i have the same doubt
    a full computer scan with v3 takes much longer than it used to with v2.7
    it seems like the security features have been increased
    so again,the question - really,what is the difference between the 2 versions as far as the security aspect is concerned?
    does going back to 2.7 imply that security will be sacrificed for usability?

7. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

AV Comparatives just voted NOD32 2.7 best av. So theres your answer.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

V3 offers better detection and cleaning over V2.7. My scans are a tad bit slower with V3 but that doesnt bother me knowing I have better protection. And as time goes on, this distinction of difference in the 2 versions will grow even more.;)

9. OHM

OHM Guest

I hope it does. ;)
    However, they should really try to make v2 users to upgrade to v3.
    To do that, they have to make v3 stable. :)

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is stable for some, and no for others. Kind of like all software.;) But the word is that a newer release is going to be out around Christmas. Chew on this for a moment.

There has been some time since the last released. It means that instead of trying to put quick bandaids on problems that were popping up here one after another by releasing release after release, they held back to work on all in a uniform manor. Fixing one issue may cause another. They have taken a beating here since the release. Some justified, some just other fans of other products trying to flame the fires. By taking this slower approach on this release, it tells me they are (1) satisfied with the current products base, which they should be. And (2) are betting this next one will be the one that gets the car rolling again. Which I also think now.

I have tried them all, and all have issues. All pass and fail tests. Eset has learned some things from all of this and in the long run that is a good thing for them and their consumers. If it was so good before, then dont you just think, that maybe, because of all this, when worked out, will be even stronger, in the end.

11. poutine

poutine Registered Member

I agree with the statements that V.3 will be good sometime, but its still absolutely amazing that it was even considered worthy of release in its original state, its pretty shocking really if you think about it.

12. reddice

reddice Registered Member

Except for a few webpages that load very slow version 3 works good. It has not slowed down my Vista PC at all. Even my mothers old 7 year old XP PC runs it fine.

13. poutine

LOL well she obviously doesnt use Oulook Express then. :D

14. Gesundheit

Gesundheit Registered Member

Wait a minute folks...

I just put the trial version of V3 on 3 of my machines that had never held NOD32 and that which I see happening is NOT up to par with what I want happening on any of my machines. I don't want it happening with McAfee, with Norton or ANY new release of virus/security software or anything else. It is just plain ugly. No, it is NOT my machines, it is the software. Software off, machines are fine. Software on, they aren't. What shall we blame this on? Oh but if you rebuild your computing house the software will work? NO NO NO NO NO.

So, we can say, "Oh a little woopsy" and "let us support our pet, the ESET people will sort it out" OR can we/should we say, "Hello producers of NOD32" you have something ugly happening here, how quickly will you respond?" I truely hope they will, as I have heard good things about them and wanted to go this direction. I don't even mind doing a few headstands to help on my machines, UNLESS they are ridiculous! I don't want to "rebuild" 3 machines to get a new product to work on them.

An AV and firewall are BASICS. If one of these we hope to use cripples our machine/s, then we need to look start looking in other directions.

Ges

15. clivew

clivew Registered Member

Smart Lady!!

16. poutine

Still no reason for NOD32 to screw it up though is it ? ;)

17. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you keep spysweeper the slug and ditch v3.0 nod32? That's about as backwards as it gets. Spysweeper is a PAIN and a MASSIVE resource hog.

18. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Agreed. Spy Sweeper is a joke. Use free anti spyware which is just as good.

19. TVH

TVH Registered Member

v3 runs fine on my setup, only drawback is that it takes a couple of seconds longer for the system to start up.

20. Togg

Togg Registered Member

Works fine for me with XP Home and V3 of the Comodo firewall installed!

And no, I wouldn't use Outlook Express either!!

21. tmaertin

tmaertin Registered Member

i've got to be honest - i didn't mind NOD32 v3 - had it installed for 3 weeks. I had the ekrn.exe issue with Comodo Firewall v3, but that was resolved in the latest Comodo version. you have to be reasonable and expect little quirks like this to come up. it happens with anything.

However, I did go back to version 2.7. my reason is simple - speed. v3 seems slightly heavy to me. i just put 2.7 back on my machine and its flying along again. The big difference i noticed is navigating folders/explorer. My folders were taking an extra second to open with v3 on my machine. i do not notice this issue with 2.7.

I do not hate v3, and I am not going to bash it as i think it will get better. but for my yearly renewal, 2.7 works better on my machine.

i am running a Core Duo T2400 1.83 GHz, 2GB RAM, XP MCE, Comodo Firewall v3, SASPro, BOClean, WinPatrol and the MVPS Hosts file.

i am not going to profess to be a computer god...i still have quite a bit to learn. just calling this one as i saw it. no matter which version you use, your still getting the best AV out there, hands down.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  22. Adam Kachwalla

Adam Kachwalla Registered Member

I don't have a problem either. The only problem is I cannot get ESS 3.0 (Australian free upgrade) because it won't accept my credentials!

23. Fgh

Fgh Registered Member

Very good with Online Armor firewall ! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.