Tried them all

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cheli2400, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheli2400

cheli2400 Registered Member

Newbie here, first post so please bear with me. I have tried every anti virus program out there. From paid to free. Currently using AVG free, with BOClean & windows firewall. I do look at some off color sites. AVG is very lite on resources & doesn't slow down computer at all, & I like that. Avast uses a little more resources & speed is the same. Got infected using Nod, Kaspersky is secure but slows down my computer a little. Any diffence between Kav beta 7 & Kis beta 7? mite try one of those. Guess what I'm asking is I want the best security without slowing down the computer. Is AVG free with BOClean & windows firewall good enough to catch most stuff. Thanx in advance for any help. Very informative forum...:-*

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello cheli2400,
    kis7.0/kav7.0 beta is alot lighter than kis/kav6.0
    and the final will come out very soon.
    not sure i would trust avg in your situation.
    how do you know your not infected with avg?
    an alternate browser would be your first stop.
    opera or firefox.
    then you could get superantispyware free for on demand scans (link in my sig)
    boclean is a good choice.
    I would surgest buying a firewalled router.
    lodore

3. cheli2400

I do have a Linksys router, & have these on demand spyware removers, Superantispyware, a-squared, lava soft ad aware, spybot s&d xoftse. I run alot of antivirus scans & spyware scans too. thanx:-*

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

No problem.
    what browser do you use?
    lodore

5. cheli2400

IE6, dont like Firefox or IE7 tried both, I like IE6. I like trying different anti virus programs, dont like suite programs, too heavy. Just want something with real time protection, thats good, but lean. Guess I want the best of both worlds if thats possible.

6. cheli2400

Trojans

Seem like I end up getting more trojan infections than any kind of viruses. My tech guy that I take my computer to cleans it up with Avast free every time. Cant remember what trojan it was may have been different each time, but Nod missed it both times.

7. cheli2400

Also have Clam free, Mwav 9.2.3, & Dr Web free as on demand anti virus scanners.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

cheli2400,

In part, that depends on what aspects of slowing down matters most to you.

As always, running as a limited user will help immensely as long as the software you routinely use has been properly written and it fits you usage style (and the latter point is a debatable one at that). Vendors are much better these days than in the past. This change has no speed penalty.

My personal experience is that NOD32 is probably tops in speed. DrWeb and/or F-Prot are next in my experience. KAV/KIS 6.0 can be quite good, but disk IO is still a bottleneck and the web AV can slow things on a fast connection - you'll really notice drag with disk intensive applications. AntiVir is fine as well.

With a signature based solution, there is always a tradeoff in comprehensiveness and speed. The alternate scheme is non-signature realtime coverage (there are various flavors) with demand scanning backup.

Blue

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Re: Trojans

the main problem is IE6 and activex controls.
    switching to an alternate browser should help stop the trojans braking through.
    IE6 is known for its security holes.
    you could run IE6 in a sandbox to prevent trojans from infecting your system.
    if you click one wrong link in IE6 you can be infected just like that.
    i know since i used to use IE6 for my main browser.
    i was searching for paid mp3 music sites but ended up in the wrong site.
    i was using f-secure at the time and it blocked the trojan.
    so if you want to keep using IE6 then a sandbox is highly reccomended.
    the main point is you keep getting infected by trojans.
    so im guessing IE6 and the wrong websites and to blame.
    lodore

10. cheli2400

Trying free Sandieboxie, thanks for the idea.:thumb:

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Have you tried Opera?
    Another choice could be GeSWall.Run IE6 in "isolation".It's also free.

12. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Re: Trojans

If it's a tech guy who has his own business, he should be running several AV programs and not just Avast.

Right now, several retailers are offering some great AV programs free after rebate. Staple has the Kaspersky AV suite for free after $70 in rebates and Buy.com has Trend Micro's PC-Cillin for free after a $40 rebate.

Symantec's NIS 2007/Ghost 10/Partition Magic 8 box was offered for free AR several times in the last few months by several online vendors.

Even if you don't install these programs as active scanners and just use them on-demand, how can you go wrong for free? I've never had a problem with rebates. I took advantage of the Symantec offer and received my rebates about one month after mailing them in.

Currently, my active AV program is Avira Premium (free 6 month trial). I've used Avast, Avira PE Classic, and NOD32, and I think Avira Premium is my favorite. Very light on resources and very easy to configure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.