Tried everything (can I say the G word)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by asperation, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asperation

asperation Registered Member

o_O I would be thankful in advance for any help o_O
    Hi everyone it is a pleasure to join you and I only hope to be a credit someday. I found you after wasting $$$ and becoming so infuriated at G**** 9.0. Newegg had a nice add about True Image, with all the reviews, I do trust Newegg and the reviews.
    Already I have a question. I want to make a restore disk (like the Big guys once included) to recover the original settings and updated OS. After using the other software, I was pretty well up to speed on the over all process, and failure's. I loaded the TI disk and went trough all the motions on an old N5425 HP laptop (that I am very fond of). At first, right out of the box TI got as far as telling me that me my external USB Sony DVD-R was not empty. I tried several brands of disk and DVD/RW's but all in vain.
    OK, on line I went and did all the downloading, uninstalled the out of the box TI 1.0 and installed the updated version. Tried to burn a backup of C drive and it did look better, actually started burning the DVD but soon presented me with an error like 00030004 (whatever) said like the quality of the disk may be the reason. So all this happened on May the 14th. I added an internal DVD burner and still the same.
    BTW I spent several hours working to make a restore disk. The other software would burn a DVD no sweat at all but it was not active (I believe is the word you use to mean, it will boot from once loaded on to a hard drive). I actually got my best results from a free disk that came in the box with the G**** software, called version 2003, the truth is, if I could even spell DOS, I would have stopped then and there, but it will work (in 2-3 hours) :'(
    Oh yes if there is any better way to do a restore please advise... Thank You Very Much...............jimmy

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Jimmy - have you been able to make an image of C: to another partition or external drive ? If you haven't tried this I would do so first.

If I wanted to make an image of C: to be stored on a DVD I must admit I would still prefer the old fashioned method of creating the image to another partition and then burning the image to DVD. I still believe that is the best way to get the best burn.

when it comes to restoring from DVD I would copy the image to another partition or drive and then restore from there - much faster.

I don't know where you live and the local cost of drives but for me external USB
    drives are now so cheap I have stopped using DVD for images.

Although I am a big fan of Acronis I doubt if they have the best software for
    making images direct to DVD. Perhaps others have had more success with the
    latest builds.

good luck

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Version 10 actually has the feature you want - making a bootable dvd to restore a backup. However if the size of the backup is such that 4 or more dvds are needed and you have to restore the backup, the process will have you swapping those dvds in an out in what seems like a neverending process. Still it is better than nothing for having the backup on a bootable dvd set. Using another hard drive, external or internal, is the better way to go.

The feature in ver. 10 can be found under Tools/Options/Default Backup Options/Media Components.

4. asperation

Thank you Long View for the rapid reply. Yes I was able to burn a good DVD that did restore to a new (smaller in this case) hard drive using the 2003 version of the other software, but I had to load an OS on the new drive first, then install the 2003G**** and do the restore from there, about 3 hours total but works great. Unless you can do DOS, and as I said I can't spell it. No to answer your question about the image to another hard drive. I had no idea it would be active or boot. Do you simply load it to a new drive?

I thank you again, I will give the image a try ... jimmy

5. asperation

Hi DwnNdrty and thank you too for your fast reply. I was able to use TI right out of the box to make a restore disk for a desktop, flawlessly I might add. Once I make the disk, I installed a new hard drive and booted to the TI disk and it guided me from there.

Back to my question, TI worked so nice on the desktop PC, but will not burn the restore disk of me 4 Gig (used) laptop, even after downloading the latest version of TI and installing an internal DVD burner. It stops about 5 minutes into the burn and just tells me the reason for the error may be the quality of the disk. I have several brands and several DVD/RW + and -, I now have a good supply of costers..................WHY DOES IT STOP......

Thank you again..........DwnNdrty ... jimmy

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello asperation,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that in order to provide you with a possible solution we would need you to follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine to collect the information, which in necessary for investigation.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. asperation

:doubt: Hello Aleksandr Isakov; first I am proud to buy your product. I can't say enough about TI and Newegg and there reviews, where I found out about TI. I would not take my money back for it, fact is I love it. Just a small problem.

:oops: I did try to submit a request for technical support, before I posted the first time; each time I hit the continue button it repeatedly ask me to sign in, I rebooted twice and signed in over and over. As a matter of fact I just tried it again and got the same thing "Forgot your password? " did I do something wrong, I was already signed in. What is the problem with this? I try very hard to follow the rules, but in this case, what could I do.............................Am I doing something wrong, I am in the forms and signed in for sure. Please tell me how to get past the continue and I will bare all. If you don't want me here, I'll go back to G****........Thank you very much.....jimmy

8. asperation

:) And thank you too thomasjk, I have yet to give it a try, your way, time permitting I will get there soon.

:) I just burned a restore DVD disk with TI, using a 1.1 USB external drive (SMOOTH). Only change to C drive was fact that I removed G**** 2003 and installed G**** version 9.0 and did burn a DVD on an external USB 1.1, just for S & G's. Then I gave TI a shot at it again, worked perfectly this time. Go figure..........Is it possible that 9.0 on the C drive instead of 2003 could have made a difference? After many tries and reinstalls it finally worked. I tried with only TI then updated TI on the drive, I tried with G**** 2003, and then with version 9.0 ... that is 4 scenario's

o_O This is what really gets me, TI worked perfectly the first try on a desktop, right out of the box (no upgrade needed). I never read any instructions. Then it took lots of help from forum members and two days to do the same on a laptop. Is it me?

To all, I thank you again for your help. I will work on the other methods of saving back an image of a hard drive. I am very pleased with True Image, it is my choice already for making a true restore disk.................:thumb: ..later...jimmy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.