tried DW(Dr Web) about two years ago, and had some problems with it

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bunkhouse Buck, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

ok, I will bite. Have not used the newer version anyway, well I did but could not figure how to set the updating up in Vista, which I do now. . Sent them a copy of a email for my Eset license, which I am never going to use, for the 1 year 1 user license. I agree Bucko, that at that price, what the hell do I have to worry about. And I may be pleasantly surprised. As for the FPs, Avira finds the same ones on both of my computers after I do a reimage:rolleyes: so I can’t complain if Dr Web finds some on initial install. I do know it offers the strength of cleaning that is really only available in Kaspersky and that is one thing I like about it.

2. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Welcome to the Dr. Web family. :)

3. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

They want business as well. Julia (Dir of Intl Sales) sent me a coupon for 50% off to migrate from any other AV. It was for the Anti-Virus only. I told her I wanted the +anti spam version. She told me I would have to pay full price, and I responded that was not a good deal. Her solution: she issued a 50% discount for the anti-spam version for me.

The price is right in US dollars, and you are right-what the hell if it offers reasonable protection. The program has been improved a lot in two years. If the new version offers faster scans, we are in business.

Best,

BB

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yeah, she sent me mine to. Guess my Eset license was worth something after all. I am sure I will be bugging Chris for settings setup. But I still have 341 avatar changes I can make so,,,,,,,,,,,,;)

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it will protect you bunk , dont listen to the bashers :)

Told ya it was light, also its probably the most stable'

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Thanks Chris, that's all you can ask for.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

U will see yourself now what it can do ;)

As blackcat said, most of the 'critics' have not even tried it.

8. fredra

fredra Registered Member

I agree with you on that Chris..... they have not tried it.
    IMHO we who use Dr. Web, never push it enough (Chris is the exception), and the "critics" get away with their biased "rabid", unfounded diatribe.
    I have a two year lic, working great.
    Cheers :)

9. RandomP

RandomP Registered Member

Hi there to all,

I have been reading this forum for over two years now, thought I get more involved now, and post a reply or two...

I used Dr.Web also for a year now, on and off I must say, and is indeed the lightest of all I have tried (the other being nod, kaspersky, avira). It has some FP's, but that doesn't bother me since everything is set on "report". I guess everyone does some trade-offs when using a product (any product); maybe DW doesn't have 99,99999% detection, but it is light, very good anti-spam, very good heuristics.

That's my two (euro)-cents, hope it's useful for anyone wanting to use Dr.Web.

Cheers to all.

10. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:) I have to add my support and agreement to the comments here! I have also tested a whole bunch of other av programs, and I keep seeing that, on my computer, nothing runs as light or as smooth as Dr. Web. And for me, the Anti-Spam component works beautifully--independent of which e-mail client I want to use! It's nice to see Dr. Web appreciated!:D

11. gates

gates Registered Member

I must say that I'm also very happy dr.web user. Using it one of my laptops and it is lightest av that I have ever used. I have used it now almost two years and will renew soon.

They support is realy fast. I just send feedback to them and they answered in two minutes! :thumb:

I can't say even one reason why I should not renew. :D

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its nice to see the big bunch of drweb users on here and in this thread.

Happy users ;)

13. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Dr web is quite good, but the interface does not come up for me... :'(

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

why should a fancy interface matter when using the AV, sure.. it might be a request or something you would like to see developed, but surely its not enough to not use the software. :blink:

especially for drweb, as its sooo light and non-intrusive.

BUT... i actually do like drwebs UI, its clean, friendly and easy to access the settings.

however, i too... would still like to see a newer, 'more green' UI, hopefully which will arrive with v5.

15. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi Chris
    I suspect that there are many more, however, they/we are not as fanatical in comparision to SOME other AV users.
    If I can remember, there is Bellgamin and shorty1, and those two were instrumental in getting me interested in Dr Web way back when 4.33 was in its infancy.
    The interface may need updating, but that is a personal choice and not THE item to prevent me from using Dr Web.
    My .000000002 cents worth.
    Cheers :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Re: Virus Weekly Stats....0Day

You know that "deeper/through scanning" is a very relative thing ;) Only ClamAV can be accused of weak scanning.

17. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Welcome BunkHouse Buck,
    And don't forget DR.Web as the best support.Use the support ticket and you will receive a answer very quickly.I normaly receive a reply within 30mins.
    Badcompany.

18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I've been reading this thread with interest.I had a licence for drweb many years ago ,but unfortunately it wouldn't play nice with my then email client pimmy on os w98se.I now use w2000 pro ,so i thought what the heck im gonna try it.Im currently using the free avast and to be honest its an excellent no problem av ,which is very fast even when using the web scanner,and i dont notice any slowdowns at all on my low spec machine p3 733 392 ram.Anyway ive just installed drweb and here are my observations.
    1.It doesnt seem any faster than avast (with http scanning activated i may add) when web browsing
    2.Its actually quite a bit slower when opening files or using windows explorer to open things on my computer ,which is a minus for me.
    3.Personally i like the simple gui and don't like unnecessary fancy ones (i currently use the iconic skin with avast which is simple and to the point).I do have an issue with drweb gui (see screenshot) which may be due to my screen resolution (800x600).Maybe someone can confirm this?
    4. I enabled "other" and ticked both "run and open files" and "create and write files" in spider guard settings.I didnt expect my computer to practically lock up ,and not be able to do anything.I had to just all other apps off (i was experiencing 100% cpu) and untick those options and use the "smart setting " again.This was a minus for me with this av.
    5.I didnt like that drweb spider mail scanned port119.When i opened my newsreader i had to wait an absolute age while dr web scanned all my newsgroups.I then found the setting and deleted port 119 in the spider guard,so that it wouldnt scan newsgroup.
    Im sure detection and cleaning is perfectly adequate ,so i have no qualms there.At the moment though im not sure whether it gives me any more than avast .Ill use it for a while and see how it goes.
    ellison

Attached Files:

19. Bunkhouse Buck

Thank you. It is an awesome AV. Could not be lighter on my machine.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Ellison:

Its not a gui problem, although maybe it should say 'detection of:'

The end of that sentance is left open for the menu on the left, ie. ' detection of joke programs' etc

4. Isn't recommend to turn that option on, its only to be used in situations, you will lose zero protection with the default setting.

5. This is because drwebs spidermail can scan mail using ANY client, no plugins needed, newsgroups come into that category, but as you rightly said, this can be easily altered in spidermail settings.

Bunk:

I agree, I really doubt they could make it any lighter, this is because of great coding, and not being lazy asses to try and get products released quickly.

Because of this, you will even find drwebs beta versions to be more stable than a vast majority of the released products right now.

21. ellison64

Yes ive left it on smart now.Any ideas about the gui error?.Is it ok on your pc?

EDIT.....oops...i see you have already replied to that question.
    thank you
    ellison

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  22. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:) Ellison, this gui "error" that you show appears the same on my computer--it's not just on your computer! I tend to think that it's just as Chris explained in his post above. And if it's not what Chris says, maybe at a future date or in a future version Dr. Web will "polish out" this "error." :D
    Edit: Actually, now when I look at that screen and click on one of the options in the left-hand column, I can see the tiny "dots" under the words "detection of" actually change. So, it looks as if it is indeed a gui error! Under the words "detection of" it is supposed to show the word you clicked on in the left, but it seems as if the gui doesn't allow that line to be displayed! It's kind of cutting off all but the very tips of the letters at the top! Son of a gun!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

or are you referring to the dots... that shouldnt be there.

i can report if for you if you like?

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

chris, can you walk me through how to set up a scheduled full scan in Vista. I know or see the updater already creates itself in task scheduler but I think you once showed me how to set up a scan from there.

25. ellison64

Yes the dots.It looked like there is some other writing there thats not showing.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.