tricky/but installed on 98se

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by RedLobster, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Javacool

decided to try installing 3.0 on 98se....here are the results......yes, its installed and working fine.

installed 3.0 on-top of old version.....everything worked fine until updating................updating caused the database to become corrupt...datebase lost....
    so..un-installed by add/remove......then cleaned the "setting' out of the registry....an re-installed.........updated.......all worked fine.....update uploaded and installed.....database 2817.........all done in under 10 minutes.......
    JC I can see where some users would get confused....3.0 is really as easy to use as previous versions just a couple of more features.........one thing noticed..on the first try the UPDATER worked..but froze....it said that the updates had been up-loaded..but there was no activity..no mention of how many NEW blocks were updated....nor the did the "BAR" that shows the updates downloading..appear.....no number showing total blocks........it looks like no updates were actually up-loaded....an the database became corupt..like it froze while "looking" for the new blocks...an all blocks were just left hanging....the "enable ie protection" became grayed/disable.......all this on the first install......

After removing the first install....then removing the "settings" from the registry....then the second install went perfact...worked completely.
    I didn't try the restricted zone feature so can't comment on that........
    It does appear..in my case at least....that the "setting" from the previous version needs to be removed from the registry before 3.0 will work properly. on some 98's......not something an in-experience person would look for or know where to find..or even suspect.......but it worked.......
    Had no issue with the GUI....although it does look like a win2k color scheme.....which in the past would not work on this 98 computer......
    so..thats my experience with the UPDATER

Nice JC....much thanks.....only one question..the total updates..does that number included the entries for the restrict zone as well as the killbits?

2. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Forgot to mention:

Firewall Issue:.....after installing and being "seen" by the firewall....the updater still was not allowed out.......had to lower the setting a tad....then it "passed" outward for the updates.......
    So really the first update can be tricky....but workable.

3. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

COMMENT

it may be noteworthy...people using the Agins List or a Host file ...or perhaps OutPost with the agnis list......will not derive any extra protection by using the 3.0 restricted zone list........the agnis list used with OutPost Blocks connections.....where the Restrict Zone simply restricts......can't restrict what can't connect to begin with...LOL Only you know what progran you are using.....an if the agnis list is used by that program

4. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Hiya there, RedLobster -

If you could give me a pointer as to where to find this in the registry, I'll give it a shot.

5. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Dangitall

I used REGCLEANER....use showed it very easily......you could do it from the registery of course......you sure you want to go there...dangerous business messing with the registry........REGCLEANER is freeware.....want me to see if I can locate it for you?? Its not made anymore....replaced by JV16.....shareware.......let me look around for it..oks

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

regcleaner can be found here.

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm

7. dangitall

Thanks, Red, but I decided that I hadn't trashed my registry lately (!), so I got into it with the RegistryEditor in NSW. I deleted everything in the Settings entries under SpywareBlaster after (yet another) uninstall of SB and then reinstalled and tried the Update button. No dice -- I'm still at the original 2793.

I suppose I could try the links that Javacool put up in my original post on this problem, but they've already shown poor behavior.

8. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Dangitall

LOL..BigC was fast....I found a download like...BUT NOT THAT DARN FAST LOL

Ok...if you got that far...IT SHOULD WORK....please use regcleaner...got nothing to lost.......
    leave everything just like it is....install regcleaner......those "settings" will show under the "software" tab......remove "settings"
    then immediately install spywareblaster.....
    make sure you firewall allows it out......an update........this does work........you had the very same problem I had...very same....an this resolved it......I'll stay here if you need me

9. dangitall

Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Eight minutes later: Nope, still no dice. I'll try those links from JC in a little bit; perhaps there was a problem with them earlier.

10. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

ALRIGHT!!!!! Got your back if you need me

an BigC is no slouch...he knows his stuff

11. dangitall

And eight minutes after that, nope, the manual links are still corrupt. If I wasn't already bald (well, mostly!), this'd be making me that way from pulling my hair in frustration!

12. bigc73542

It would probably be a good idea to try JC's solution since he does know what is in spywareblaster. He will come up with a solution I'm sure it just may take a little time.

13. dangitall

That's pretty much what I was hoping to find waiting for me this (now yesterday) morning when I got home from work. He seems to have been absent from the boards today, though; I guess he needed some R&R.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, at least this problem is easily replicable, unlike so many others, and I'm sure he'll eventually come up with a fix.

Thanks, guys.

14. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

gosh I was hoping it would work for you...darnit DANITALL..

I agree with BigC....JC has faced this before..he'll work-it out..........heck I've been hanging in the forum about a week....would not have done that if for not believing JC would find an answer.............I just decided to try installing......an a few tweaks later it worked.

Dangitall got to admire your effort....hey, look at the positive side...now you have a good program to clean junk out the registry LOL.....but be careful......save those back-ups

15. dangitall

Yeah, between NSW, SystemMechanic and, now, RegCleaner, my registry should squeak like a freshly-washed glass! Thanks anyway, Red. :p

16. bigc73542

Just remember that unless you install and delete a lot of programs it is not necessary to clean the registry all that often. Because the more you run registry cleaning programs the more chance you take of possibly removing a necessary file entry. ;) Good luck on your SB, JC will take of that problem in time he is aware of the win 98 SB problem.

17. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

You are very much welcome.....am just sorry that you didn't get it up and running......
    oh, Dangitall I guess I'll be leaving the forum now that I have spywareblaster installed........really enjoyed meeting you...and BigC.........will try to drop in from time to time an say hello.........hope I haven't stepped on toes hanging out here for so long.....tryed to make myself useful.........enjoyed the visit

18. dangitall

Like I said, it's been awhile since I last trashed my registry -- a couple of years at least -- and I'm a willing lab rat for any new prog that comes along that looks interesting.

I certainly hope so. I'll admit to being baffled because the problem here is only with regard to the update; the program itself installs fine, which doesn't appear to be the norm on 98SE. Freaky!

And I've got to admit, BigC, that the Starship Infinity must be better equipped than I thought it would be if you can communicate here while searching for strange new worlds! (PS - If you should find Dr. Zachary Smith out there, just shoot him!)

And, Red? Come on back anytime. We'll be glad to see ya!

19. bigc73542

Internet sub space communications. Zack smith Already on to do list ;)

20. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Registered Member

Thanks RedLobster
    I also have a Win98 machine that Spyblaster 3 GUI would not run, but thanks to the RegCleaner trick it now works (at least for now)!

I used RegCleaner, found the Spyblaster settings, removed them and started Spyblaster 3. It worked! And all this without uninstalling Spyblaster. I left it installed and just removed the settings and voila! Thx again. I'm protected again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.