Trick I use to see external drive with the rescue disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dbknox, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

If I had my external drive plugged in using windows and did a reboot to the rescue disk I could see my usb external drive, but if I rebooted without first plugging in the drive in windows, my rescue disk would not see the external drive.
    I found that by booting to the rescue drive and plugging in the external drive after I am in "full" mode and closing True Image, causing a reboot into the Acronis loader and I select "full" mode again, then I can see my external drive. I don't know why this works for me, I hope it helps somebody else out there. Lord knows I have been helped lots on this forum!

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

A previous external HD of mine would take a long time (over 1 min) to show up in My Computer after the USB cable has been plugged in. The trick that helped make it visible from the rescue environment was to power it up and connect before booting from the Rescue CD and then wait for a minute on the selection screen before clicking Full.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dbknox,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that in order to use the storage media like external USB hard drive (or any other device) it should be plugged to the computer before booting into the standalone version of Acronis True Image. The standalone version of Acronis True Image, which is Linux based, detects all the plugged devices on booting and then you will be able to use it to store image archive, for example.

I would also recommend that you have a look at this article describing what is the standalone version of Acronis True Image.

Should you experience a problem with a device when accessing from rescue mode, please provide us with the exact vendor and model of the device you use, create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post, then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Sorry bVolk I never noticed your reply.
    If I have the usb drive plugged in and then reboot TI sees the external drive okay. But when I inserted my Rescue CD and then shut down my operating system and did a cold boot,this is when my problem came to light. ( I wanted to stimulate an actual hard drive problem) I plugged in my external drive and booted with the rescue disk and after picking "full" Acronis just seemed to crash. I sat and waited, I could see the red light on the drive but after waiting for quite a while I shut down Acronis and on reboot of Acronis, my drive and Acronis worked fine. I can live with this. I don't care how many hoops I have to jump, as long as I can recover. Which I have done many times.
    Aleksandr Isakov I will get back to you a bit later. Have to run.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi dbknox,

I've seen a few cases here where it was reported that the external had to go through some particular turn-on/connect/boot sequence to show up. For me, the wait before clicking on full helped. I tried that because I had noticed that it was slow to show up in My Computer. But if I didn't wait, Acronis would not crash in my case. After an USB error line while Acronis was loading TI would come up but the external was not to bee seen.

They come in all flavors.

6. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thank-you Aleksandr Isakov as I have stated to bVolk, I am happy with the way TI is working for me, even though I have to use a few work arounds. I only started this thread in case it could help somebody else.
    My TI does not work in the windows environment, except for "mounting" I use my rescue disk for imaging and restoring. I am sure that my problems in the windows environment is that my Operating Sytem is flakey and has nothing to do with TI. I am still using win98 and your company was good enough to supply me with a copy of TI 8, which was known to be compatible with win 98, with the same results.
    I have copied images and restored them with no problems. Up and back running in 10-15 minutes.

7. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Just a follow up,

I reinstalled Windows and TI now works in windows environment, just as I thought, it was my Old operating system had got flakey.
    Everything works much as it should now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.