Trial version

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by catric69, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catric69

catric69 Registered Member

I have downloaded and installed the trial version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10. When I run different operations in ADDS10 and try to commit it does nothing and a pop up appear saying to buy full version. I was under the impression that I would be able to try the software before purchasing it. Thanks in advance.

Eric.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

3. catric69

catric69 Registered Member

kOlo,

Thanks for you reply! I purchased the full version and merged two partitions I needed combined. Thanks again.

Eric.

4. whistler21

whistler21 Registered Member

I hardly think the ability of a trial version to handle 1 cylinder in any way gives an indication how the software will work for me. I can't think of any other software product that is so restrictive.

IMHO, it should be limited to a couple of REAL sessions.

I'm very concerned that shelling out my cash to buy something I can't have any real confidence in, is a winning marketing strategy.

But then it is my cash, and I decide where it get spent.

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

You have a valid point, and I won't try to defend the marketing decisions of Acronis. However, I will say that I really like the product.

I've used a lot of different partitioning tools and Acronis Disk Director (DD) is my favorite because it combines several needed low-level tools into one easy to use graphical package. Every other tool that I've tried only does part of the job and you end up needing two or three other programs to complete the job.

Imagine wanting to change the partition structure on your disk containing a dual-boot Windows/Linux installation. You would first need to back up the partitions with something like TrueImage; second, destroy the existing partitions and create a new partition structure; and third, restore the partitions.

Assuming that you moved the location of the Windows partition you would then need to edit the boot.ini file before Windows will boot. If you also moved the location of any of the Linux partitions you would have to edit the filesystem table, fstab, before Linux will boot. And finally, if using a bootloader like GRUB, you would need to edit its menu.lst file to boot anything at all. One of these files is NTFS and the others are ext3, for example, so you would normally need to have your Windows CD handy to repair Windows and a LiveLinux CD to repair the Linux files. However, you can do all of this with DD without needing any additional tools by editing the files directly in DD. It's a very powerful and convenient program.

Playing around with the low-level hex disk editor has also taught me a lot about disk structures, partitioning, booting, etc. Learning more about these topics alone is worth the price of the program, IMHO.

6. whistler21

whistler21 Registered Member

I don't doubt it's powerful. Setting up: dual booting to Linux/Vista/..., repartitioning etc. etc. - but to be honest, I have other servers dedicated to that. So I'm one of the people who use about 5% of a package's capability, but use that regularly.

In another thread I want to know if it will help me to defrag my partitions that I've set up with 16k clusters. Windows wont do this. Diskeeper 10 won't do it (or at least not on Win2K). Acronis appears to claim this, but without trying it for real on MY machine...

I just want a warm feeling in my belly before spending my cash.

A number of my work colleagues rate Acronis highly..so I'm halfway there, I just need the final push, and a live trial would have done that.

7. gergol

gergol Registered Member

How can I undo the (with the trial versin) created 7.81 MB drive or mege it bach to dive C:

Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.