Trial user..clone problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by koto57, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koto57

koto57 Registered Member

I downloaded the trial version of TI 9. I cloned my 250 gig internal drive to a 120 gig USB drive. I then set my bios to boot from the USB drive and the computer would not boot. Am I missing something here? I would gladly purchase this software if I could get this to work. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Seems to be a Windows restriction according to this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=126833

Typically an image of the partion or whole disk is saved on the USB drive and then restored to an internal drive when necessary. The USB drive isn't used as a primary drive.

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Were there any error messages showing? Have you booted from a usb drive before? At the end of the cloning procedure, did you get the "successfully cloned" message?

4. koto57

koto57 Registered Member

Thanks for the replys. I do believe it has to do with Microsoft not booting from a USB drive. Everything copied alright with no errors. I have never tried to boot from a USB device before. I just knew that my bios allowed it. The plan in the beginning was a simple one. Clone the drive to USB. If there was a problem in the future, just boot from the USB clone. Oh well, it was just an idea.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

It is indeed (currently) a Microsoft Windows limitation.

Booting from an external USB device is a selectable feature in most newer motherboard BIOS's setup because, despite what "Uncle Bill" would like us to think, Windows isn't the only PC O/S in the world :D.

Regards

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello koto57,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

If you unplug one of the hard drive after cloning process and the problem persists, please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep both source and destination hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report.

Please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Attach the collected file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.