TrendMicro now in on spyware program

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Tassie_Devils, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I don't know about others maddawgz but the way that pic was saved it's hard to zoom in and still have clarity in viewing the objects. If you can place that box result back up again on your desktop....click on the TrendMicro result box only and not the whole desktop when you do an Alt\Print Scrn.

2. ice60

ice60 Guest

thanks Bubba :) i use IESPYAD, and have the same value as your screenshot.

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Tony/Bubba, thanks for the info.

Now, I did expand that value, sorry, but I do forget.

However, it definitely was NOT listed in Trusted Sites, as I had only looked thru IE's options, zones, settings, about 2 days ago, and I have NOTHING listed in Trusted at all. Never do. Only use it for WU.

I went to Symantec Site and I searched thoroughly for every file it lists:
    # IUCmore.dll
    # logo.ico
    # rss_html_template.html
    # toolbar.cfg
    # UCMTSAIE.dll
    plus UCmore/effective-i, etc. and nothing found.

I also went into the Registry, did searches for every key, sub, listed, once again nothing found.

Now, I think I solved where it was listed. This PC had a hardware problem, and I had to get a new HDD, and when the tech installed [under warranty], etc. he backed up a lot of stuff, put it in a folder called 'Old Data' for me and I did have IE-spyads installed [thanks Bubba, that jogged my memory] so I went looking in there, and sure enough I had backups of my HOSTS and a copy of IE-SpyAds from previous, and they were definitely big, so guess the entry was found in there, hence the find by Trend. Well at least I gather that's the reason.

However Tony/Bubba, one thing I am a bit surprised by, was that Symantec site listed to delete the Maxthon folder in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Maxthon which I only installed couple days back to see how it had improved. o_O

Anyhow, as stated, nothing else found AT ALL regarding those files listed at Symantec.

Sooo, guess it could have been FP as it found my old backup HOSTS.
    Still, I would like to know the Maxton story regarding that program. Anyone?

Cheers, TAS

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I also got the 1 entry UCmore Toolbar, plus an entry of eAcceleration Corp 15 items. As it turns out the 15 items are associated with drweb cureit updater.

As to UCmore, is it agreed that it should be removed/deleted?

Jerry

5. Mucker

Mucker Registered Member

I tried the 30 day trial and it seems faily comprehensive, Trend calls the Monitoring system Venus Spy Trap--Catchy. Lots of Tools available in the program including CW Shredder . I will bow out in judgement though and let the smart guys look it over and pay heed to what they have to say.

Mucker

6. ice60

ice60 Guest

if you have IESPYAD installed and the Range1 entery, and only that entery, then it's a F/P. it should stay in that case.

7. ice60

ice60 Guest

8. Mucker

Mucker Registered Member

Ice

I must be confused , I was relating that CW Shredder is also available in the new Trend Antispyware Program that I am Trialing free for 30 days . I found it after using the free AS scan from the link earlier in this thread.

Mucker

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

ice60,

Thanks.
    Jerry

10. Mucker

Mucker Registered Member

I am more confused than ever--re-reading the thread it seems like tassie is talking about the new program that I am doing a 30 day free trial on and then it changes to Trend's free online AS scan. The Trial I'm doing has alot of the same features as MSAS plus incorporates CW Shredder into the scan.

Mucker

11. Tassie_Devils

Hi Mucker....

Tad confusing I concede, :doubt: but if you read thread thru, it naturally progressed to the 'free online scan' at Trend, [Ice60's link found that ;) ] still basically the same product though, so not off topic.

It's same as Trend's PC-Cillin AV, you can buy it with auto updates, etc. or do a "Housecall" on their site. I suppose 'convenience' is the key here, plus, as you said, some extra tools in the actual program you buy/trial as opposed to having to go to site and [apart from the very initial download of part of the 'scanner'] get updates, and can only scan and fix similar to Housecall.

Please let us know how it goes during your trial though, would like to see how it does as opposed to the other freebies [not that I intend to buy seeing they DO have the free online, as that can be a good backup/check as long as I/others am now aware of the possibility of FP].

Cheers, TAS

12. Mucker

Mucker Registered Member

Tassie Devils,

I didn't mean to imply off topic, I really was just confused. Thank for sending me the correct direction. The Program I am trialing has significant real time protection called Venus Spy Trap . Has an options page somewhat similar to MSAS. also has an option called trickle scan to minimize CPU usage so you can still browse effectively.I am trying it now. Monitors shell configuration, activeX, Hosts, Browser settings. Lots of things--seems to be a very comprehensive program.

Mucker

13. Tassie_Devils

No probs, I realised what you meant, sorry, I should have worded it better mate. :D :D

Anyhow, can you post some screenies for us to take a gander at. Plus any info would help.
    It seems like it could be a pretty comprehensive program, but of course it's early days yet, [to my knowledge, as I only received that email a few days ago, so don't know how long it had been out] and any bugs/FPs would need to be sorted.

Appreciate it.

Cheers, TAS

14. Mucker

Mucker Registered Member

Tassie Devils,

I found this trial by running the free scan and followed it through to Trend webpage. This program is almost hiding under the personal tab. Sorry I don't have capacity for screenies. I have Spysweeper, MSAS, Adaware and Spybot and have trialed Spyware Doctor. Installed nicely and doesn't seem to use much resources( very important to me ). I Like it so far although I don't know if I would pay for it given I'm already running Spysweeper/MSAS. but if I hadn't just paid for SW I would consider it. It would be better if the Smartguys looked at it and passed judgement.

Mucker

15. Mucker

Mucker Registered Member

Trend Micro Anti-Spyware 3.0

Has anyone tried Trend Micro's new Anti-Spyware yet? Iam trialing it and seems comprehensive, has realtime protection and lots of monitoring. Also has a feature called trickle scan to lower CPU during a scan so it doesn't interfere with browsing.

Mucker

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Re: Trend Micro Anti-Spyware 3.0

i tried and it seems good tho i think its network (config) protection disables/removes IMON from the lsp chain. also check here, here, and here for threads relating to TMAS.

17. Mucker

Mucker Registered Member

WSFUSER,

Thanks for the info and the threads. I saw some of thread but not all of them.

Mucker

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I ran Trend Micro Anti-Spyware Online Scan out of curiosity.
    It reported ONE tracking cookie, because I forgot to run CCleaner first.
    It proves that my preventing methods aren't that bad.
    That's why I run the big guys sometimes, to flatter my ego :D

19. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Had it previously installed on my system..scanner is pretty decent except that sometimes, the monitor (Venus Flytrap) in it crashed my IE a couple times..so be warned. :D

20. ErikAlbert

Where did Trend Micro get their Anti-Spyware. From another company or self-made ?

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

They are using the SpySubtract engine....a program by Intermute....a Company that is now part of Trend Micro.

22. ErikAlbert

Thanks Bubba. Another Frankenstein Security Suite. :)

23. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

And be warned also for F/P's*puppy*

24. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    I tried the scanner.
    It found the same Effective i-Inc. in my "Trusted Zone", which is empty, so this is probably a false positive based on SpywareBlaster or something.
    It also found a BonziBuddy file in a temp folder, dubious at the very least.
    I take them as false positives.
    Mrk

25. sobitthen

sobitthen Registered Member

I tried their [trendmicro] free online scanner, it found 15 new items that spybot, ms, spywareblaster, ad-aware, norton 2005, xcleaner, about 5 others..failed to find.. I was trying to get rid of huntbar and ieplugin.. claimed it cleaned the threats but they re-appeared instantly.. even killbox could not delete the folder , search toolbar, from the computer..
    I would have a hard time paying for a product with all of the freeware out there, but this problem is going to be about 12hrs in the works trying to rid a customers pc on a set price.. I am about to purchase a product but unsure of any actual 'good' pay product. Their free product, is it only a tease, would the pay product be any better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.